Round 6: Changes Vs Bulldogs

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d be betting on Nyhuis getting delisted at year’s end at this stage tbh.

The spots vacated by Sandilands, Ballantyne, Bennell, Kersten etc will disappear rather quickly. Giro has been upgraded, Hughes is ahead of Nyhuis based off this season and probably gets promoted on form. It’ll be a tight squeeze promoting rookies and taking three or four draft picks. I can’t see too many other senior listed players who may get delisted tbh other than perhaps Jones and Meek.

Nyhuis doesn’t offer enough going the other way imo. Overrated on this board because he made Liam Ryan his b**** in the WAFL finals. Liam Ryan is an alright player but most teams have better small forwards imo - not to mention he’s improved heaps since he arrived at West Coast.

I’d love to see Nyhuis prove otherwise though. I think he’s a solid depth option that’ll get delisted if/when list spots get tight.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think he's in our ideal B22... but premierships are built on depth. If he's happy to stay on $150k + match bonuses why wouldn't you keep a dependable defender who knows the gameplan, rarely gets injured and has a strong body (3+ preseasons).

We've still got quite a few to delist/retire.

Sandi
Ballas
Kersten
Bennell
Jones
+1 or 2 unexpected trade outs

The problem with fringe players is that you HAVE to take 3 players in the draft every year, thats why they get moved on, it becomes a question of who you would rather keep.

So this year we have Sandi, Bennell, Kersten and Ballas who I would argue are almost certain to be gone.

I'd argue next year Mundy and one of the Meek or Jones are gone then we'll be moving at least one of the younger depth guys are gone as well.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think he's in our ideal B22... but premierships are built on depth. If he's happy to stay on $150k + match bonuses why wouldn't you keep a dependable defender who knows the gameplan, rarely gets injured and has a strong body (3+ preseasons).

We've still got quite a few to delist/retire.

Sandi
Ballas
Kersten
Bennell
Jones
+1 or 2 unexpected trade outs

One player at risk is Cox, he’s a good potential forward trying to break into a potentially settled forward line. Can’t believe I’m saying it, but Freo has too many tall forwards.
There was a rumour post about his name being bandied around SA clubs.

I agree with the 5 names. Mundy will go for Pav’s record number of games. At this rate he looks like he could do 350.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Again, explain why is it poor? It's a prediction about what will happen on a footy forum. The whole website is full of them, do you go around calling them all out, or just the ones by people that disagree with your selective memory in other threads?
It is fully explained. If you want to know which posts I respond to, just use the search function. You made a prediction, I called it ordinary. That's how forums work.

Last edited:

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I don't see us making 8 changes as we have been doing recently. As lists in a rebuild mature they become more stable with less turnover. If Nyhuis is getting called up now, then by the end of the season he will be in an even stronger position to be considered for a call up because he has greater experience. Next year we should be pushing hard for finals and you don't want to be thrusting first year players like Sturt or Carter into that situation (I hope they will get chances next year).

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why? I didn't say I want him to fail, in fact I said above prove me wrong. I just don't think he'll make it. Seems pretty standard low level commentary to me

I don’t have a problem with your comment. In fact it is quite accurate for a rookie listed player out of contract (wasn’t he on the rookie list then delisted to be again added to the rookie list?)

Could be a bit of a Roger Hayden watershed moment for Ryan - a challenge from the coach. If he doesn’t have a great game then watch out with players coming back just to mention a few:
- Duman, Logue, SHill etc. (Blakely will prob rotate through as well).

As mentioned a good time to give him a game. His time is now. He might get further opportunities with injuries but I feel there will be limited opportunities for him to impress and demand a contract extension.

In saying this I like Ryan - a real no nonsense hard cookie from the NT. Hope he does impress. He has some mad painting skills as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
I don't see us making 8 changes as we have been doing recently. As lists in a rebuild mature they become more stable with less turnover. If Nyhuis is getting called up now, then by the end of the season he will be in an even stronger position to be considered for a call up because he has greater experience. Next year we should be pushing hard for finals and you don't want to be thrusting first year players like Sturt or Carter into that situation (I hope they will get chances next year).
agree. we've turned over 30+ players in 3 years. I expect we will probably lose Sandi, Ballas, Bennell, and Kersten anyway. Can't see us dropping many more unless we trade. We have built a big core group across all lines in the early to mid 20s bracket. That's what will allow us to push for a premiership.

I would guess that we may and try bringing home a decent/big name mid to assist Fyfe, and there may be kids - Darcy, Cox - that may seek to leave for one reason or another if they don't get enough games this year (e.g. wouldn't shock me to see a T.Kelly for S.Darcy + pick?), but that would be about it. Depth is needed to win a cup, not a bunch more kids with potential.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
I'm tipping Nyhuis will get a 6 year extension on around $800-850K per year.
At North Melbourne you mean? I kid. Theyre desperate for anyone.
As for the list, we ll probably go to mature age rucks again. Jones won’t be staying and Meek isn’t far behind. Sandi might retire. Suddenly our ruck stocks looks depleted. Be nice to have Apeness or Nads instead of them two. But what can you do

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
agree. we've turned over 30+ players in 3 years. I expect we will probably lose Sandi, Ballas, Bennell, and Kersten anyway. Can't see us dropping many more unless we trade. We have built a big core group across all lines in the early to mid 20s bracket. That's what will allow us to push for a premiership.

I would guess that we may and try bringing home a decent/big name mid to assist Fyfe, and there may be kids - Darcy, Cox - that may seek to leave for one reason or another if they don't get enough games this year (e.g. wouldn't shock me to see a T.Kelly for S.Darcy + pick?), but that would be about it. Depth is needed to win a cup, not a bunch more kids with potential.

No chance Kelly for Darcy. Darcy is the ruck futire.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Nah not worth that, at all. Ruckman are a dime a dozen and take years to develop. We have a special one in Darcy. Sandi is either retiring this year or next. Darcy gets another ore season under his belt, he ll be ready.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Darcy and a pick for Kelly. That’s way way overs. A pick or two will do. Forgetting that Tim isnt necessary a need for us, sure some flair but Cerra and Brayshaw can take that role next season. Darcy isn’t going anywhere, our ruck stocks will suck after this season

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
Nyhuis reminds me a bit of JvB unfortunately. Not a bad thing but don't thing he'll ever get solid and consistenty opportunities.

As for Kelly, I have no interest in him being in the team after his comments last year. Whether it came from his agent or not I don't think it's professional.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nyhuis reminds me a bit of JvB unfortunately. Not a bad thing but don't thing he'll ever get solid and consistenty opportunities.

As for Kelly, I have no interest in him being in the team after his comments last year. Whether it came from his agent or not I don't think it's professional.

More interested in Coniglio, if we can land him...
If we don’t get to the GF (a boy can dream) then I hope GWS win it, more chance he leaves and comes back to WA.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Really disrespectful I think those comments don't get forgotten easily.

Are there factions in the indigenous community? I wonder how he is regarded by our indigenous players, and if there is possibly some issues there?

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
More interested in Coniglio, if we can land him...
If we don’t get to the GF (a boy can dream) then I hope GWS win it, more chance he leaves and comes back to WA.

Or GWS bomb out again and he decides we are the future. The GWS window isn't going to be open forever. But definitely agree that Cogs should be our focus and not Kelly.

To be honest, someone who I would enjoy seeing in the purple is Tipungwuti. Thought that since around 2017 and nothing has changed.

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
Really disrespectful I think those comments don't get forgotten easily.

Are there factions in the indigenous community? I wonder how he is regarded by our indigenous players, and if there is possibly some issues there?

Exactly. As a fan you like to believe that players want to be there and are bleeding for the club. With what Kelly said I would never shake that feeling that he's not with us by choice and first contract renewal he'll be requested a trade up the road.

I imagine as with most communities there probably is. I lived in Scotland for 6 years and there were familial factions for sure that kept soccer players playing from one team or another so it's always possible. To be honest though, he's probably just a bellend.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly. As a fan you like to believe that players want to be there and are bleeding for the club. With what Kelly said I would never shake that feeling that he's not with us by choice and first contract renewal he'll be requested a trade up the road.

I imagine as with most communities there probably is. I lived in Scotland for 6 years and there were familial factions for sure that kept soccer players playing from one team or another so it's always possible. To be honest though, he's probably just a bellend.
I think it is all but 100% he ends up at the Eagles so I wouldn't worry about it. Reckon the only reason Geelong didn't release him in October was because he is on draftee wages playing like a 600k player.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think it is all but 100% he ends up at the Eagles so I wouldn't worry about it. Reckon the only reason Geelong didn't release him in October was because he is on draftee wages playing like a 600k player.
The complication I see in that scenario is that they may also be more interested in Coniglio. The available $$$s could then become an issue. In addition, GWS could match Coniglio's offer, and then trade currency also becomes an issue.

Deveraux

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can anyone in the know tell me how he has been going at Peel, I assume quite well considering the call up.. but improvement on his best we have seen in the last yr or 2?

Back