Opinion Round 6 Changes vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A month without travel will help a little with player tiredness and agree with others that the young players have earned the right to play in a derby, its another important experience for them and if that means we lose a game because young players make mistakes or tire late so be it. As much as I want to see Freo playing finals every year we all know we're building here and the most important thing is that as many of our young players as possible go into next year ready to play their third or fourth derby and not their first.

Having said that Hill looks a very likely out and Balic in would be my first choice but if he's not ready I'd have no problem with Pearce but I'll be disappointed if there's more than two changes.

Look as much as I dislike this, could Ross actually bring back Dawson as he's better suited on Kennedy? Just feel Hamling needs that help, on Darling/McGovern when they swing forward. Zac keeps Kennedy honest and negates him as much as he can.

Hard this week.

Sheridan has been poor imo. Spurr also. Hill probably an out.

Out: Hill (injured)
In: hopefully Balic.

Personally I want to see tweaks to positioning with the players already in the side. Crozier and Logue down back would be ideal imo.
Spurr was sensational last night I thought. Keep Lindsay to 6 touches and was important off half back. He ll be needed against Le Cras and do the same.
But yeah agree with Sheridan. Did two poor decisions in the last quarter which really were frustrating.

I just don't think micro-managing players by dropping them for a week because it is a derby (for example) is the best move. Keep it based on form and fitness. I also think they are all performing reasonably well, but more importantly, learning heaps.

I would also replace Hill with an experienced player because I think we have a pretty good balance of young/experienced. My choice would be Pearce but Sutcliffe fits too. Sheridan's copping it on here, but he is playing a role and I quite like the format of our defensive set up, especially with the flexibility Logue gives us.

I am wanting to see Lyon stamp himself on this derby to be honest. His use of Mundy and Fyfe was fantastic last week. He's playing around with Logue a bit too. We are a bit unpredictable. But that works really well when it is targeted at weaknesses in the opposition. WC will come out and try to dominate our young guys and we need to be ahead of that game.

Would love to see Logue go back and take Darling. He has the athleticism to go with him. Elvis v.2 will take Kennedy and Ibbo can look after Fifi Lecras.

If Hill the Elder is out, bring in Suban to reacquaint with Fang Masten. That'd be fun.

There's a lot of calls to bring in some of the old blokes. I'd rather lose with the team we had last night, than bring in the old guys that were dropped for good reason, and shown absolutely no heart since.

Agree, would rather lose playing young hungry blokes then the slow old blokes that couldn't win anything anyway.

I keep thinking we need to bring tabs back into this team. Surely enough room for him without dropping any existing forwards?

Look as much as I dislike this, could Ross actually bring back Dawson as he's better suited on Kennedy? Just feel Hamling needs that help, on Darling/McGovern when they swing forward. Zac keeps Kennedy honest and negates him as much as he can.
I swear I am going to have a mental break down if another person posts that we need Dawson back when we now have a genuine KPD talent in Hamling in our B22. Go and watch the Dogs vs West Coast in the finals last year and if you still think Hamling can't handle Kennedy then please package all the drugs you are taking and flush them down the toilet immediately :)

There's a lot of calls to bring in some of the old blokes. I'd rather lose with the team we had last night, than bring in the old guys that were dropped for good reason, and shown absolutely no heart since.
Totally agree. I don't understand it to be honest and besides they've all (bar maybe Tabs) been rubbish in the 2s to not warrant selection. Really baffling that people want to bring back the old guys. This is the perfect time to play the young guys when we're not contending or expecting too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear I am going to have a mental break down if another person posts that we need Dawson back when we now have a genuine KPD talent in Hamling in our B22. Go and watch the Dogs vs West Coast in the finals last year and if you still think Hamling can't handle Kennedy then please package all the drugs you are taking and flush them down the toilet immediately :)
That's understandable. But don't discount the fact the Doggies defended well as a team that night.. So wasn't just Hamling. Boyd, Wood also helped.

That's understandable. But don't discount the fact the Doggies defended well as a team that night.. So wasn't just Hamling. Boyd, Wood also helped.
Yeah but that's what we also need to do in order to win against good teams. If we don't defend as a team, Dawson is going to make no difference (other than a negative one in our ability to rebound). Just reference the first two rounds and almost every game he played in last year, and the year before for that matter.

Much rather play the future and lose, than waste our time delaying their development by playing guys that are past their use by date.

what about the team spirit this group have built together after winning 3 nail biters?
To be told you're making way for the old boys for one of the biggest games of the year after giving your absolute all and getting the chocolates 3 times in a row? Not sure thats the way I'd be thinking. The strongest alloys are forged in the hottest fires.
you win you keep playing. A Derby is a chance to make your own history and thats the kind of camaraderie building I'd want for them; Tucker, Balic, Logue, all of them.

I see your point and i lm loving the team atm its bloody great viewing. But i would love a fresh team out and about against bombers/blues...bank those points and have a good chance to make the 8. Derbies can be brutal...

Great win last night.

I'm writing our derby preview thread.

If you'd like the chance to be featured in the preview, please respond to this post. The best contributions will be included and attributed accordingly.

Any comments about the game, the club or anything else you like will be considered.
Maybe a comparison of Blakely & Lamb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back