Opinion Round 6 Changes vs. West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie and Lachie N must be in real doubt to get up. This where Connor gets his chance to shine. I'd like to see Brady get to mix it in the midfield where he plays for peel.

Tommy wasn't the only one by along way who butchered the ball by hand and foot last nite. He might get reprieve if stevie & Lachie N are out.If Balic is fit he takes one spot and unfortunately RTB will either bring in D Pearce or Suban - he could bring in both!!

Hawks have won because they are harder at the ball, good pressure, have played on at all costs, and are willing to take some risks moving the ball directly.

So long as we run run run and don't over think things I think we have a good chance of a W.
Totally agree. The hawks applied immense pressure today. If we can do that ontop of run and carrying the ball and good decision making inside 50 we will be a very good shot.

There's a lot of calls to bring in some of the old blokes. I'd rather lose with the team we had last night, than bring in the old guys that were dropped for good reason, and shown absolutely no heart since.
How can Subes show any more heart when he was knocked out in the 1St qtr for Peel 2 weeks ago and this week Peel had a bye. Pearce won't have played a AFL game in 2 weeks so should he come in or go back to getting touch at Peel this week.

no to d pearce.

It's refreshing to see f50 entries where the players lower their eyes and hit up leads.
Really, you saw that happen on Saturday night? All I saw was kicks straight to the opposition, kicks that fell 5m short and long bombs plonked on our forwards heads. Pretty much everything DP gets accused of doing.

Really, you saw that happen on Saturday night? All I saw was kicks straight to the opposition, kicks that fell 5m short and long bombs plonked on our forwards heads. Pretty much everything DP gets accused of doing.
You think he's been the emergency for 3 weeks? Nah, he's been coaching our players how to kick inside 50 :p

I'd much rather Danyle than Suban or Dawson. But if SHill is injured then I'd go Balic personally (if he is fit). Gives an extra inside mid in the rotation and he already destroyed a bunch of the West Coast mids in the WAFL. Can also bring plenty of pressure, whilst still looking dangerous in the forward line. Tucker will need a couple of games to settle in (hopefully we've wiped his mind of Rds 1 & 2). Danyle to Peel and I hope he kills it.

I think with west coasts talls we won't be able to afford to put Johnno in the ruck, though Vardy was useless today.

Tabs to come in for a winged player. If a Hill and Neale come good i think Sandi will ruck all game. My biggest concern is our backline against Darling running free, Kennedy on the lead and McGovern. Particularly who Ibbo mans up, could be exposed on leads. If our mids stand-up like the previous weeks no doubt they won't counter well.

Danyle hasn't played footy at any level since Rd 2. That's a month being on the sidelines, so you'd hope they'd give him a run in the 2s just to get some touch - he was dropped for a reason.

If Balic is ready then bring him in for Hilly, if Balic isn't ready, then I reckon Sutcliffe is next cab off the rank.

I doubt they'll drop Logue. The guy took 3 - or was it 4? - contested marks inside 50. That is close to elite level in his 3rd game. Yes, he needs work on his finishing, but clunking contested marks inside 50 is a huge bonus for us, and with more confidence and experience he'll start to kick straight.

But as schnoods mentioned - if we bring in Tabs, then we've got him as the extra tall and Logue can go back to cover one of their tall forwards. Darling most likely.

If Stephen is out as you would expect from that vision (hoping he felt it tighten and pulled up) then I reckon Sutcliffe should be the go. Play him on a wing and let him run free, see if he can regain the confidence he had around 2013/14. As an added bonus you can swing him back onto someone like Darling if the ball is coming in a lot.

That said I do expect it to be Danyle that comes in.

I think with west coasts talls we won't be able to afford to put Johnno in the ruck, though Vardy was useless today.

Tabs to come in for a winged player. If a Hill and Neale come good i think Sandi will ruck all game. My biggest concern is our backline against Darling running free, Kennedy on the lead and McGovern. Particularly who Ibbo mans up, could be exposed on leads. If our mids stand-up like the previous weeks no doubt they won't counter well.
Did you see who gave McEvoy a chop out for the Hawks? 193cm O'Brien.

Did you see who lined up in defence for the Hawks? Not a player over 193cm - Frawley the tallest (193cm), then Burton (191cm) - the other 4 are under 190cm. We have Hamling (194cm) and Johnson (195cm). Ibbo, Hughes and Sheridan can all play on talls. And if we need more we have Logue who can shift back.

I'd take the learnings from the Hawks and apply them rather than being too reactionary on a one dimensional aspect (eg height). Hawks destroyed them with mobility. Adding height at the expense of speed and mobility would be the worst thing we could do imo. Like North were with their selections - WC should be worried about our speed more so than us about their height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danyle hasn't played footy at any level since Rd 2. That's a month being on the sidelines, so you'd hope they'd give him a run in the 2s just to get some touch - he was dropped for a reason.
Plenty of players come back from a 3 week lay off and straight into the team, usually from suspension but injury too. I don't think it would stop him being able to. As for the being dropped for a reason, that could be a reason that he doesn't get picked.

Stevie and Lachie N must be in real doubt to get up. This where Connor gets his chance to shine. I'd like to see Brady get to mix it in the midfield where he plays for peel.

Tommy wasn't the only one by along way who butchered the ball by hand and foot last nite. He might get reprieve if stevie & Lachie N are out.If Balic is fit he takes one spot and unfortunately RTB will either bring in D Pearce or Suban - he could bring in both!!

I'd be very confident that Neale plays. He seems perpetually sore but always steps up when he crosses the white line.

IIRC Balic trained fine on Thursday so I have been thinking maybe he just pulled up sore. I'm hoping that is the case and he can come straight back in.
Harley didn't train with the main squad he was hanging around the front of the Gym area with Uber and Deluca and then came out with the Rehab group and did stretching with them right in front of where we were standing. He didn't have any tape on his calf like usual and he didn't look too debilitated and moved quite freely.

You think he's been the emergency for 3 weeks? Nah, he's been coaching our players how to kick inside 50 :p

I'd much rather Danyle than Suban or Dawson. But if SHill is injured then I'd go Balic personally (if he is fit). Gives an extra inside mid in the rotation and he already destroyed a bunch of the West Coast mids in the WAFL. Can also bring plenty of pressure, whilst still looking dangerous in the forward line. Tucker will need a couple of games to settle in (hopefully we've wiped his mind of Rds 1 & 2). Danyle to Peel and I hope he kills it.
You would be (w) edited rapt to have Subes come in for an injured Hilly wouldn't you?

Last edited:
I would not bring in Suban for S Hill as Balic offers more . Both Neal and Hill had scans today . Danyle Pearce or Sutcliffe are the obvious replacements . As for the rest of the team no other changes for me .
The rest of the young players are injured or coming back from injury so they will need to get match fit playing for Peel .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back