Toast Round 6 = Collingwood 90-77 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Spare me - go back and take a look at gut punches that go to the MRO. The vast majority have been low impact which resulted in fines. Christian has made comment that fines for these acts are an effective deterrent. This was another example. End of story.
Now you’re being an ***wipe not Sideswipe. Pffft.

I was merely pointing out the rules as they stand. You were imagining different had happened in the past.
True mate the rules need changing.
You never punch anyone with a closed fist.
Frikkin ridiculous

If a player gets winded I would classify that as medium to high.
The guidelines are pretty much gobbledygook when it comes to classifying impact. There are a multitude of factors that can come under consideration. But going off past assessments, a gut punch that doesn't put a player out of play will be assessed as low.

I wouldn't mind the AFL coming out and saying deliberate punches off the ball will be assessed no lower than medium. It would be rare for them to do it mid-season, but they can do anything. Maybe Dillon can get Gale to do it as his first little footy task?

Lots of Tigers in at head office now.

I was merely pointing out the rules as they stand. You were imagining different had happened in the past.
And I was merely pointing out this may lead to an increase in this type of act. You obviously disagree. Don’t you think if half the Adelaide team punch Daicos in the solar plexus during the game this week that it just might impact on his ability to gather 40 disposals?
Fines don’t bother players that are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. Suspensions do.

And I was merely pointing out this may lead to an increase in this type of act. You obviously disagree. Don’t you think if half the Adelaide team punch Daicos in the solar plexus during the game this week that it just might impact on his ability to gather 40 disposals?
Fines don’t bother players that are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. Suspensions do.
With the current guidelines can you punch a player in the balls?
Why should that be any different.
A closed fist is always wrong.
Some of these supposed sling tackles have not been as bad.
Although some have been really bad.

Your initial assertion was that the "Tribunal was setting its own precedent" and that "not so long ago" gut punches were attracting suspension. Both wrong.

With the current guidelines can you punch a player in the balls?
Why should that be any different.
A closed fist is always wrong.
Some of these supposed sling tackles have not been as bad.
Although some have been really bad.
Contact to the groin gets assessed at the same level of seriousness as contact to the head. So no, you can't. If that same punch was to Daicos' nuts, the likely assessment would have been intentional high/groin contact with impact anything from medium to high. Likely 2-3 weeks.

Contact to the groin gets assessed at the same level of seriousness as contact to the head. So no, you can't. If that same punch was to Daicos' nuts, the likely assessment would have been intentional high/groin contact with impact anything from medium to high. Likely 2-3 weeks.
And yet the AFL has previously warned players that a punch to the stomach will treated the same as to the head. So there was a shift in their stance on this. Time to let it go mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t you think if half the Adelaide team punch Daicos in the solar plexus during the game this week that it just might impact on his ability to gather 40 disposals?
Don’t give them ideas. Teams may become willing to have each of 23 players punch Nick Daicos in the guts for a total of $69k. The tankers would hand that to you in a paper bag, if you so much as managed to get a kick backwards while down 10 goals.

Don’t give them ideas. Teams may become willing to have each of 23 players punch Nick Daicos in the guts for a total of $69k. The tankers would hand that to you in a paper bag, if you so much as managed to get a kick backwards while down 10 goals.

Reminds me of the glory days in 2010 when Steven baker was suspended for nine matches for four seperate incidents in the same game

Openly punch a player in the guts = get off with a fine

Three players tackle a player at the same time, pick one out = suspension

Gotta luv the AFL
It's a disgrace the footy media are obsessed with close ups - it's only in occasional general play flashes that you really can fully appreciate the power, fury and awesome intent as he launches himself at an opponent - nothing unusual to see him literally charging in from 20 meters.

Excitement machine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back