Preview Round 6: Collingwood vs Essendon, MCG, ANZAC DAY, Sunday 25/04/2021 @ 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heppell's performance against Brisbane was uninspiring at best I thought. Saw a lack of real effort (no desperation) and therefore our Captain had zero impact on the game.
Shouldn't be captaining the side on Anzac Day, give that honor to Zerrett whose work ethic exemplifies the meaning of ANZAC Day.
By omitting Heppell, Truck sends a message to all players that no-one is safe if their on field work rate is sub par.

In: BZT, Gleeson, Zaharakis, Phillips
Out: Ridley, Heppell, Smith, Jones

B: Laverde - BZT - Francis
HB: Redman - Reid - Hind
C: Cox - Parish - Langford
HF: Perkins - 2MP - Waterman
F: Stringer - Hooker - Tippa
R: Phillips - McGrath - Merrett (C)
I: Gleeson - Snelling - Ham - Zaharakis

Sub: Guelfi

Last edited:

Anyone dropping Waterman is kidding themselves...
I’d give him a rest though. Remember he had no pre-season. It’s dependant on 2MP. If we play Phillips/Bryan and 2MP he comes out because you can’t have a Forwardline of
Hooker, Stringer, Wright, Jones and Waterman. Way to slow.
Heppell's performance against Brisbane was uninspiring at best I thought. Saw a lack of real effort (no desperation) and therefore our Captain had zero impact on the game.
Shouldn't be captaining the side on Anzac Day, give that honor to Zerrett whose work ethic exemplifies the meaning of ANZAC Day.
By omitting Heppell, Truck sends a message to all players that no-one is safe if their on field work rate is sub par.

In: BZT, Gleeson, Zaharakis, Phillips
Out: Ridley, Heppell, Smith, Jones

B: Laverde - BZT - Francis
HB: Redman - Reid - Hind
C: Cox - Parish - Langford
HF: Perkins - 2MP - Waterman
F: Stringer - Hooker - Tippa
R: Phillips - McGrath - Merrett (C)
I: Gleeson - Snelling - Ham - Zaharakis

Sub: Guelfi

You don’t drop the captain. Especially for Gleeson.

I like Harry Jones but lets be honest, he's not offering anything to the side at this stage

With Howe being a potential out, the obvious choice is to drop Jones for Phillips who had some success against grundy last year, send 2MP forward and stretch them thin down back

I like Harry Jones but lets be honest, he's not offering anything to the side at this stage

With Howe being a potential out, the obvious choice is to drop Jones for Phillips who had some success against grundy last year, send 2MP forward and stretch them thin down back
We're 1-4 and likely finishing bottom 4. Jones is staying in.

Dangerous mentality to have.
I think when the opportunity presents itself to win an ANZAC day game, which let's face it has been our grand final for the past 20 years, you take that opportunity.
Priority number 1 this season isn't say the difference between pick 4 vs pick 7-8 in the draft, but building a strong culture within the club, which is something we've lacked for the longest time

Dropping Jones for that game would be a huge dent to his confidence.

It also makes no sense; he should thrive in the open expanses (lots of potential for repeat leads).

I think when the opportunity presents itself to win an ANZAC day game, which let's face it has been our grand final for the past 20 years, you take that opportunity.
Priority number 1 this season isn't say the difference between pick 4 vs pick 7-8 in the draft, but building a strong culture within the club, which is something we've lacked for the longest time
I think the club is setting the right mentality by playing 5 debutants in the first 5 rounds. Give them opportunity to flourish and back them in. Jones wouldnt want to go goal less the next 2 weeks but best to give him the chance hopefully in dry conditions and an under manned Pies defence and space to move in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone dropping Waterman is kidding themselves...

Not so sure.

Waterman is the most obvious structural change if we want to play a ruck. I'm not here to sink the boots in or say that he deserves to be dropped but the reality is he's not a tall which means he needs to do a lot more at ground level, applying pressure, etc and it leaves him exposed to this sort of structural change. I don't think they'll see Wright as in need of dropping in light of playing ruck as our "break glass" option.

Having said that I probably would leave Waterman out for Phillips who looked very sharp against Lions VFL.

As tempted as I'd be to bring in Bryan it's similar to the Perkins scenario. From memory Bryan finished his 2019 NAB season very strongly putting up some decent numbers. Like Archie he never got the chance to consolidate in 2020 so I'm just as happy to leave Bryan in the reserves until round 10-12 racking up 27 touches a week and consolidating his game because it's not going to be as fun in the big leagues for him.

Do not agree. May not be this week but at some stage he will have to play some VFL if he struggles to have an impact. You can not just keep on playing him if he is struggling . It would be more beneficial for him to find some form in the VFL if he continues to have sub 10 disposal games and bring him back in later .

I’d give him a rest though. Remember he had no pre-season. It’s dependant on 2MP. If we play Phillips/Bryan and 2MP he comes out because you can’t have a Forwardline of
Hooker, Stringer, Wright, Jones and Waterman. Way to slow.

You don’t drop the captain. Especially for Gleeson.

He had a pre seasons didn’t he?

Only three games in and he’s not playing a high intensity/running role.

Three talls plus Stringer up forward is too big for mine.

Collingwood's jumper was white with black stripes and black numbers for all games until about 1998.

Then for a couple of seasons, their home jumper was white with black stripes/numbers and away was black with white stripes/numbers.

Then from 2001 onwards they changed to black with white stripes/numbers for all games for quite a few years, until the late 2000s when enough stink was raised about their complete lack of clash strip that they brought back the white jumper with black stripes/numbers as a clash strip.

I reckon they wear it not particularly frequently though.
You mean they wore a predominantly white jumper with black stripes until mysteriously changing it around the time a team aligned with a club who’d historically worn black with thin white stripes entered the league wanting to wear aforementioned jumper?

Said earlier but I reckon our forward line is functioning relatively well. Hooker the hulk, Jones on his bike, Snelling and Tippa for nuisance value, Waterman is a bit of a interesting type and Stringer is Stringer. I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to change it, particularly after the impossible conditions they faced in Brisbane.

It'll be won and lost in the midfield anyway, like most games.

Hoping Perkins, Jones and Cox enjoy the wide-open G. Think they should.

Jones will be a part of that strong culture. Dropping him after what was a difficult fixture to start the year is not going to do anything for his development, especially when our VFL side gets thrashed the way it does.
Do not agree. May not be this week but at some stage he will have to play some VFL if he struggles to have an impact. You can not just keep on playing him if he is struggling . It would be more beneficial for him to find some form in the VFL if he continues to have sub 10 disposal games and bring him back in later .
It's no coincidence that his two best games were our two home games. People forget we've played 3 interstate games against difficult opponents. We have a 5 week block against easier opponents. We should give him time.

Jones will be a part of that strong culture. Dropping him after what was a difficult fixture to start the year is not going to do anything for his development, especially when our VFL side gets thrashed the way it does.

It's no coincidence that his two best games were our two home games. People forget we've played 3 interstate games against difficult opponents. We have a 5 week block against easier opponents. We should give him time.
Not if he can only find the ball 6 times a game.
I think he has a lot to offer going forward but getting your form back in the VFL does them no harm.
We actually had a lot of inside 50 footy in the VFL but did not have the players to do anything with it. The VFL will not get flogged every week.

Personally I don't think it will shatter him if he went back to gain confidence and work on a few things. Much easier to try new things...or get them right in a lower level with less pressure. Agree that if the VFL continues to struggle it might be a problem with limited opportunity though.

I remember plenty were up in arms when Ridley went back for half a season when he was going alright at the time. Has returned as one of the premier defenders in the comp. I would totally trust our coaches to get it right for him on this one.

Not if he can only find the ball 6 times a game.
I think he has a lot to offer going forward but getting your form back in the VFL does them no harm.
We actually had a lot of inside 50 footy in the VFL but did not have the players to do anything with it. The VFL will not get flogged every week.
Dropping him after 3 difficult interstate games in 5 rounds won't do him any good, especially just as we start an easier month of our fixture. I'd give him until round 10 at least and re-consider his form before the West Coast game.

Personally I don't think it will shatter him if he went back to gain confidence and work on a few things. Much easier to try new things...or get them right in a lower level with less pressure. Agree that if the VFL continues to struggle it might be a problem with limited opportunity though.

I remember plenty were up in arms when Ridley went back for half a season when he was going alright at the time. Has returned as one of the premier defenders in the comp. I would totally trust our coaches to get it right for him on this one.

Who says he is lacking confidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back