Adelaide (2-3) v GWS Giants (3-2)
Sun 15 Mar, 2.40pm ACDT
Hisense Stadium, Richmond SA
7 (Adel, Melb) and 7mate (Syd, Bris)

West Coast (1-4) v Gold Coast (1-3-1)
Sun 15 Mar, 2.10pm AWST
Mineral Resources Park, Lathlain WA
7 (Perth) and 7mate (Bris)

*All games are broadcast live on Foxtel and Kayo, free to stream via the AFLW app and the AFLW website, and so on and so on.

I hope our girls can score more than 1.8 Friday night. If they do perhaps Rhyce could pick them for the other game later in the year. :D

This could be a bit of a danger game for North, Geelong have been playing a better brand of footy in recent weeks, albeit against two expansion teams, but they will have their tails up and really need to win this game if they are to have any chance of making the finals. Interestingly, Geelong and North Melbourne are the only two teams with four players to have kicked 4 or more goals this season, so hopefully it will be a free flowing attacking game.

My tips

Cats-Roos: The most likely path to finals for Geelong remains the one where they don't need to beat North, rather just hold their last 2 while the Crows and Giants drop their bundle. Granted, percentage will loom as a factor in that scenario, which might prompt a Friday the 13th zombie resurrection of last year's terrifyingly scrappy and stoppage-happy Cats to keep this one a close low-scorer—hope not, it wouldn't be worth driving up the freeway for. NM by 30

Lions-Pies: Whoever suggested Molloy as a forward-line cure was correct but not a genius, it was obvious even if you didn't know about her Diamond Creek days. But the question about how their back-line can stand up without Brazill is yet to be properly tested by a contender. Brisbane are holding firm as a team who are thereabouts. This will be the key result in determining 2020's ultimate level of anti-conference sentiment. Bris by 12

Saints-Tigers: The had-it-too-good-for-too-long Richmond supporters thinking they'd be automatically strong but now think they have the worst team in AFLW history are two-times wrong. The latter is going to be hard to disprove if they go winless for 3 more weeks. Regardless, I know for sure their first five matches have been far more watchable than Collingwood '19 and Carlton '18. This is the match-up where recruiting a few extra established stars should prove the difference on the day. Rich by 1

Dees-Blues: A funny round fixture-wise where only two top-half clubs are at "home" and Melbourne, playing in the Red Centre, is one of them. No excuse for the Demons, a team neck-deep in momentum and flag potential, to miss this shot at solidifying their spot in finals. For the Blues, I wonder how long they can get away with asking too much of Laloifi and Wilson—two young defenders who need to improve rapidly with their ball use or get some senior members around them taking on bigger roles. Melb by 18

Dogs-Freo: Much better last Sunday by the Dockers, they showed something resembling an inside-outside balance that can hold up in finals where tackling intensity alone does not provide enough midfield drive. The Bulldogs haven't shown improvement in any area, and they're only getting worse at transitioning out of defence—a fancy way to say they don't even know what to do with players built for the new-ish kick-in rules, like Hannah Scott, anymore. Frem by 50

Crows-Giants: This match comes down to GWS and whether they live down to how I've previously summarised the bulk of their McConnell era—win the ones they absolutely should, totally disappoint the rest of the time. Adel by 24

Eagles-Suns: One team looked tired on the weekend and the other looked disoriented. I'll take the disoriented team which now gets to play at the ground they train on, as opposed to the tired team which now has to make the longest trip in the game. WC by 6

Further proving Nathan Burke has lost the plot, the Bulldogs drop Hannah Scott after playing her out of position vs the Magpies.

GEE In: J.Ivey, C.Blakeway Out: R.Goring (Omitted), G.Clarke (Omitted)
NM In: None Out: None

BL In: L.Bellinger Out: G.Bodey (Injured)
COL In: None Out: None

STK In: T.Luke, J.Sedunary, C.Whitfort Out: K.O'Neill (Omitted), E.Mackie (Omitted), S.Johnson (Omitted)
RIC In: I.Ross, C.Wakefield, C.Fitzgerald, N.Butler, A.Woodward Out: L.Bailey (Omitted), E.Wood (Omitted), L.McClelland (Suspension), L.Tesoriero (Illness), S.Sansonetti (Rested)

MEL In: None Out: None
CAR In: None Out: None

WB In: N.Morris-Dalton, B.Gutknecht, N.Callinan Out: H.Scott (Omitted)
FRE In: B.Webb, S.Garstone, M.Clifford Out: R.Roux (Rested)

ADE In: E.Jones, E.Phillips, N.Allen, D.Varnhagen Out: M.Newman (Omitted), R.Metcalfe (Omitted)
GWS In: E.Goodsir, T.Davies, G.Garnett Out: N.Barr (Hamstring)

WC In: C.Perera, M.Carter, T.Tester, K.Orme, D.Pisconeri Out: M.Caulfield (Managed), M.Dowrick (Illness), E.Bonser (Illness)
GC In: T.Smith, S.Riley, H.Dunn, M.Roberts Out: T.Groves-Little (Omitted), J.Hewett (Omitted)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Feel awful about Nina and Jordan, there were some tears amongst those of us watching

Geelong put their running-out-games woes to rest last week, or so it seemed. But last night's fadeout kept in theme with the second halves of R1 (1.2) and R2 (0.1). At this stage R7 feels like one of those games GWS should absolutely win, while the Cats will have to do much than just pick up the four points from that game now that their % has taken a big hit.

FYI my TV and multiple TV guides continue to say Bris v Coll is on the main channel here in Melbourne, but with my own eyes I see horseracing on 7 and AFLW on 7mate.

Brisbane with their typical frontrunning fail in Q1, flooding the backline did nothing except to stop themselves from scoring. Three spares standing around scratching their backsides, nobody standing the mark for a free kick on the 50m arc. Collingwood should be five goals up.

Deliciously poised now. Brissy improved their intensity and structure that quarter, ball use was a little better although still could have been better than what the stats say (43 disposals, 11 turnovers).

Mikala Cann taking forever with that set shot on the siren, missed the opportunity to drill it low and bounce it through when there was just a 1-on-1 in the goalsquare (Pies player could have shepherded it through).

Would've been a (self-inflicted) travesty if the Pies lost that one. Comfortable win in the end, eventually, was the right result.

In many ways a carbon copy of the Lions' R3 loss last year, albeit against a Melbourne team slightly more polished than Collingwood today. Followed up a respectable defeat away to the Dockers with a fairly pathetic display at Hickey Park in which they didn't look mentally switched on from the start. And it set into motion an unrecoverable disparity between the apparent strength of the two conferences...

Well Richmond's matches had been somewhat enjoyable up until now. Mark it down, that was the shittest game of AFLW everrrr.

Tigers become the first team to go goalless for a game, just in case this round was short on making history. They've also kicked one whole goal in the 9 quarters that Brennan has missed, but yeah she was definitely the problem.

Last edited:
Great goal by Kate Hore, not just the spectacle itself but in the context of the game. Melbourne really needed somebody to take on the responsibility of settling the team, had the ascendancy but weren't capitalising.

First quarter by Carlton was what I expected but the response will be elucidating. Stevens notably moved down back late (might've just been because Harrington was off), returned to the forward-line now.

Back