AFLW Round 6 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Awful Q3 by Melbourne, exemplified if not kickstarted by Paxman in noddy land early on down back. Harris has been laying some big hits and they're just copping it like neglected mutts. If the Dees now go on to do their traditional Narrowly Miss Finals shtick, it's because of that quarter as much as anything else.

Deserving 16-point win by Carlton which changes the complexion of their R8 match v Freo, would've been a must-win to make finals and now it might be a chance to finish on top of ConB.

Possibly a cheap point to only bring up when they lose, but I hate Melbourne playing their best mids behind the footy. And I know they won the centre clearances, still: look at the first ten seconds of the fourth quarter (think it was at that crucial moment, I'll check) and how the red carpet was practically rolled out for a Carlton I50 entry. I'd almost go so far as to say they were disrespectful of players like Prespakis and McEvoy tonight!

Freo still limping over the line against teams
Not sure what you were watching today through your North glasses but that was not a limping effort from Freo

Also

The game where dogs were 3 goals up in the 3rd quarter then freo came back

mayb limp was harsh but you get the point

actually I don’t get the point! Bullies played their best game of the season and played really well. Freo hung with them and powered away in the 4th. Great game. Solid win.

Just settling in for the last game of the afternoon, gonna be interested to see what the difference was for the Bulldogs today on the replay. First 50+ total to lose this year, all-time AFLW record is now 47-2 when a team scores that high (the other loss, Melbourne in R1 2019, was also against Fremantle fwiw).

Not an impressive win on paper for the Giants but a big breakthrough in terms of a) it pretty much books their spot in finals, and b) as per my tip, it wasn't the kind of a match-up/situation they've risen to in the past. Probably all over for Adelaide now, maybe Richmond can do something miraculous for them next week.

Freo still limping over the line against teams

but from here on out play quality teams with blues and dees then finals. Test starts here

and Antonio will get rubbed out for the head high bump

Right. Cause Collingwood in R3 and Brisbane in R5 were so bad beforehand?

Can you name one team you played that was better than mediocre? Bar Melbourne, who you lost to.

A sorry two correct tips for me this weekend! It hasn't exactly been an onslaught of huge upsets, though. Just shouldn't have abandoned my tried and true AFLW mantra ("if in doubt, pick the higher-scoring team"). Below is what each team was averaging coming into R6, winners are bolded. The only match that went against the grain was the Crows loss--I wasn't in doubt about that beforehand, however, more like simply overconfident and wrong.

Geel 38.2 v NM 48.6
Bris 36.8 v Coll 37.2
StK 22.4
v Rich 22.4
Melb 36.0 v Carl 41.8
WB 25.2 v Frem 42.2
Ade 31.8 v GWS 29.8
WC 15.4 v GC 24.2

Ladder
yyr6ladder.PNG
Melbourne's destiny is still in their own hands, but if they can't beat the Dockers next week in Perth then they'll be relying on Collingwood to drop a game against either the Saints or Cats. Brisbane should beat the Tigers in R7--the Suns would then have to knock off the Crows in Southport and the Demons in Cranbourne before even being in the conversation of making top 3 ahead of their fellow Queenslanders.

Leading Goal-kickers
St Kilda and Gold Coast supporters can cream themselves about their club's more thorough, genuine, superior approach to AFLW as much as they like, after all engaging in delusional fantasies is part of what makes being a footy fan fun. But if we want to be realistic about the difference between them and the other 2020 expansion teams, here it is plain and simple:
yyr6goals.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel really sorry for Mon Conti. She gave up a promising basketball to carry the Richmond rabble. Not the best career move I feel.

Harris hits hard.
I feel really sorry for Mon Conti. She gave up a promising basketball to carry the Richmond rabble. Not the best career move I feel.
She was a bench player in one of the leagues stronger teams (Boomers made the semis), but only averaging 2.6ppg, 0.5rpg and 1.7apg in around 10mpg.

She wasn't contributing as she would have liked in the WNBL and thought the AFLW was a better option. May have been the case if she stayed at the Bulldogs who would be a lot more competitive with a midfielder of her quality.

Goal of the Year
Some absolute rippers this week, a few unluckily missed out on getting nominated but can't argue with these 3.

Mark of the Year

AFLCA Champion Player - Leaderboard
47 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
46 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
44 Madison Prespakis (CARL)
42 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
41 Karen Paxman (MELB)
Full Round 6 votes

MRO
  • Aasta O’Connor (Geel) charged with striking. The incident was classified as a $1,100 sanction as a third offence. $700 fine with an early plea.
  • Emily Bates (Bris) charged with rough conduct. The incident was classified as a $700 sanction as a second offence. $400 fine with an early plea.
  • Madison Prespakis (Carl) charged with rough conduct, Sabreena Duffy (Frem) and Aimee Schmidt (GWS) charged with striking. Reprimands with an early plea.

Rising Star
R1: Lucy McEvoy (Carl) & Georgia Patrikios (StK)
R2: Roxy Roux (Frem) & Jesse Wardlaw (Bris)
R3: Caitlin Greiser (StK) & Kalinda Howarth (GC)
R4: Grace Egan (Carl) & Gabby Newton (WB)
R5: Olivia Vesely (StK) & Charlotte Wilson (Carl)
R6: Isabel Huntington (WB) & Tait Mackrill (GWS)

My Rolling All-Australian Team
Backs
Lutkins (Bris)
D. Pearce (Melb)
E. Antonio (Frem) – Not payback anymore. Delivering time and time again when matches are on the line, part of which is playing every position (within the space of a quarter).
Bennetts (GWS) – Excellent again on the weekend, smoothly mopping up and creating across half-back. Ludicrously left out of womens.afl's Team of R6 for her teammate Pepa Randall (among others) who has NFI what to do when she gets the ball.
S. Allan (Adel)

Mids/Ruck
Prespakis (Carl)
Lambert (Coll)
Kearney (NM)
Paxman (Melb)
Bowers (Frem)
Moody (Carl) – This one admittedly might be payback. Layton sitting out almost all of Saturday's game turns this ruck spot into a bit of a raffle. Moody's been fine in a team that's only lost one game, and yeah she should've been awarded AA honours in 2018 anyway.

Forwards
Garner (NM)
Houghton (Frem)
In: Howarth (GC)
Duffy (Frem)
In: Greiser (StK) – Reserved for leading goal-kicker.

Bench
In: Molloy (Coll)
Riddell (NM)
Harris (Carl)
In: Parker (GWS) – Beats Hatchard at her own game in the same game and takes her spot.
In: Purcell (Geel)

Out
Layton (Coll)
Hore (Melb) – Very tough exclusion which I'm still going back and forth on. Essentially Howarth (more goals) and Molloy (more versatile, felt like I had to include somebody on the bench who has spent time in defence) pushed her out.
Pregelj (GC) – Howarth had to come in and I couldn't justify two AAs from a bottom-half team.
Hatchard (Adel) – Couldn't leave Sarah Allan out and the Crows are also a bottom-half team.
Bates (Bris) – One kick on the weekend in her traditional stinker against Collingwood.
Wardlaw (Bris) – Coming off her first goalless game of the season, still in the hunt to take out the medal.

Squad of 40
yyr6AA.png

When do North Melbourne get to play quality teams? They’ve had a few byes so far.

Geelong were dishing it up to North before Nina went down. The girls were clearly distraught after it happened and lost their focus. I bumped into Paul Hood the following morning and he himself admitted it was impossible to keep the players' minds on the game after that happened.

While North would've probably won the game anyway, I doubt the margin would've been as big as it was if Nina's injury hadn't happened.

Rising Star
R1: Lucy McEvoy (Carl) & Georgia Patrikios (StK)
R2: Roxy Roux (Frem) & Jesse Wardlaw (Bris)
R3: Caitlin Greiser (StK) & Kalinda Howarth (GC)
R4: Grace Egan (Carl) & Gabby Newton (WB)
R5: Olivia Vesely (StK) & Charlotte Wilson (Carl)
R6: Isabel Huntington (WB) & Tait Mackrill (GWS)

My Rolling All-Australian Team
Backs
Lutkins (Bris)
D. Pearce (Melb)
E. Antonio (Frem) – Not payback anymore. Delivering time and time again when matches are on the line, part of which is playing every position (within the space of a quarter).
Bennetts (GWS) – Excellent again on the weekend, smoothly mopping up and creating across half-back. Ludicrously left out of womens.afl's Team of R6 for her teammate Pepa Randall (among others) who has NFI what to do when she gets the ball.
S. Allan (Adel)

Mids/Ruck
Prespakis (Carl)
Lambert (Coll)
Kearney (NM)
Paxman (Melb)
Bowers (Frem)
Moody (Carl) – This one admittedly might be payback. Layton sitting out almost all of Saturday's game turns this ruck spot into a bit of a raffle. Moody's been fine in a team that's only lost one game, and yeah she should've been awarded AA honours in 2018 anyway.

Forwards
Garner (NM)
Houghton (Frem)
In: Howarth (GC)
Duffy (Frem)
In: Greiser (StK) – Reserved for leading goal-kicker.

Bench
In: Molloy (Coll)
Riddell (NM)
Harris (Carl)
In: Parker (GWS) – Beats Hatchard at her own game in the same game and takes her spot.
In: Purcell (Geel)

Out
Layton (Coll)
Hore (Melb) – Very tough exclusion which I'm still going back and forth on. Essentially Howarth (more goals) and Molloy (more versatile, felt like I had to include somebody on the bench who has spent time in defence) pushed her out.
Pregelj (GC) – Howarth had to come in and I couldn't justify two AAs from a bottom-half team.
Hatchard (Adel) – Couldn't leave Sarah Allan out and the Crows are also a bottom-half team.
Bates (Bris) – One kick on the weekend in her traditional stinker against Collingwood.
Wardlaw (Bris) – Coming off her first goalless game of the season, still in the hunt to take out the medal.

Squad of 40
View attachment 841361
Ashmore stiff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back