Preview Round 6: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, ANZAC Day, 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: A stunning result on Good Friday against North Melbourne, where the chosen one rose from the dead, Jesus Christ I mean Joe Daniher returned after nearly a year out of football. And that's supposed to happen on Sunday anyway. The dons were dominant, the "big three" midfield trio of Dylan Shiel, Dyson Heppell and Zach Merrett collecting 107 disposals between them whilst not Joe Daniher Orazio Fantasia kicked 4 goals in the 58 point win.

Collingwood: Well Collingwood had a walk in the park against Brisbane, comfortably beating the Lions by 62 points. Superstar midfielder Adam Treloar had the ball 35 times whilst Key Forward Brodie Mihocek was very good with 4 goals in humid conditions, Jordan De Goey another feature with 3.

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 1-4 Collingwood

Form Guide

Essendon: 3W 2L
Collingwood: 3W 2L

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $2.56
Collingwood: $1.48
Line: 12.5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Collingwood

B: Ambrose - Hooker - Saad
F: Mihocek - Cox - Elliott
HB: McKenna - Hurley- Ridley
HF: Thomas - De Goey - Stephenson
C: McGrath - Myers - Z Merrett
C: Phillips - Pendlebury - Sidebottom
HF: Fantasia - Brown - D Smith
HB: Crisp - Moore - Langdon
F: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher- Stringer
B: Maynard - Roughead - Howe
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Heppell
R: Grundy - Adams - Treloar
I: Redman - Zaharakis - Parish - Guelfi
I: Appleby - Beams - Brown - Varcoe

Essendon in: Smith, Zaharakis; Out: Ham (unlucky), Baguley (omit)
Collingwood in: Appleby; Out: Aish (concussion)

Collingwood defence vs Essendon forward line

After a slow first fortnight, Essendon's inside 50 efficiency rating has improved a lot the last couple of weeks, increasing to 25.1% goals per inside 50. Collingwood's defence however has been stellar both up the ground and when it enters defensive 50, conceding a goal only 21.1% of the time it enters their defense. Joe Daniher had a successful return against North Melbourne, kicking two goals, but he'll come up against arguably the form centre half back of the comp in Darcy Moore, so a much sterner test awaits the lynchpin of Essendon's attack. Mitchell Brown has been very good working up and back the ground of recent weeks, collecting 45 or so touches and kicking 6 goals the last two weeks, will be interesting to see how he goes against Jordan Roughead. Essendon's mosquito fleet of Orazio Fantasia and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti have been lively the past three games, Magpie fans will be hoping Brayden Maynard and Flynn Appleby will be able to shut them down.

Midfield/rucks battle

Let's get real, as even as they are at either end, this is truly where the match will be decided. You look at the names on Collingwood's groupings and you shudder as an opposition midfield coach, rightly so as well. However so far this season the Dons have been better than Collingwood on clearance differential, although Collingwood have been significantly better on the contested possession side of things in comparison. The match up between Adam Treloar and Dylan Shiel looks fascinating, Treloar has been stellar this year whilst Shiel is starting to look like the guy Essendon gave up two first round draft picks for, the two former Giants would be licking their lips at this. No less relevant will be the battle of the skippers, Dyson Heppell and Scott Pendlebury are remarkably similar players, but the pie skipper has had the wood on Heppell the past few years, and the last 5 games has reflected that, so Heppell will want to wrest back control for this. Rucks wise, Grundy beat Bellchambers in their head to heads twice, but the big T-Bell had his best game of the year in the game just gone and will be looking to back it up against the best in the comp.

Collingwood forward line vs Essendon defence

Collingwood's forward line has been very efficient so far this year, kicking a goal 24.7% of the time it enter's the arc. Essendon's defense has been much better of recent weeks, lowering their goals/inside 50 mark to 22.2% at the defensive end. The match up I want to focus on is the one that is probably between Michael Hurley and Jordan De Goey. Not many defenders have the size and the agility to go with JDG, which is why he's so good, however Hurley does, as showcased by his beatdown of North skipper Jack Ziebell on Good Friday. Cale Hooker against Mason Cox is also important, Cox's main job will be to restrict Hooker's intercept marking, which is where many of Essendon's attacks ar launched from. And finally, our great nemesis Jamie Elliott plays again, does Adam Saad get the job? Given the other match ups inside 50 you'd have to think so, another extremely important match up.

X-Factor Player

Travis Varcoe seems to slip under the radar a bit for the Pies, he's quick, a good decision maker and does all the team things well. One of the most important players on Bucks' list.

Key stat

Essendon: Inside 50's. Collingwood concede the third fewest inside 50's a game in the league, need to increase that if they're to win.

Collingwood: Clearances. They have the best midfield in the league, use it to your advantae.

Tip

Dons by 7, Heppell to have the ANZAC Medal

Last edited:

Out: Ham, Baguely
In: Zaharakis, Smith

Looking forward to this one, hopefully good conditions at the G and a close game.
Yes please.

Inb4 Zaka, Smith for Ham, Parish

Yes please.

Inb4 Zaka, Smith for Ham, Parish

I hope we don’t drop Parish, he wasn’t elite but far from poor. Think Baguely offered very little that can’t be covered by shuffling players around a little.

Watching Shiel break away from centre clearances was just magical, we’ve not had that kind of player for such a long time.

No changes. Do not need 22 contributors and never have!

Only thing I would consider is dropping Daniher for Clarke. JD gets way too close to performing a role for comfort.

No changes. Do not need 22 contributors and never have!

Only thing I would consider is dropping Daniher for Clarke. JD gets way too close to performing a role for comfort.

Just can't be positive can you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baguley looked out of sorts, due for a spell on the bench. Smith as a pressure small forward could work or even rotate midfielders through there. Hard to find anyone else to take out for zaharakis, hams may be the unlucky one

The ANZAC Day game last year still gives me nightmares. It was arguably our worst performance of the year... slightly rectified in our second meeting when we led in the final quarter before a couple of late goals gave them the win.

I think they are better than us and will go further than us this year in the long run... but it's still a game we could cause an upset. They deserve to be favourites and no doubt will be. Their 1st and 3rd Quarters against Brisbane last night were excellent but they have also been patchy in all their other games this year so we aren't without a hope. We also had two excellent quarters (1st and 2nd) against the same side (Brisbane) the previous week. Our MCG form this year has been pleasing.

It is a crucial game in the context of our season.

Collingwood will bring a pressure game that we have not yet seen this year. So I hope we are ready for it.

I watched the game from home today and Baguely looked good. Those of you who know my posting history will know that I am generally not a ringing endorsement. I would also prefer that Hams and Guelfi are rewarded for their games today. Hams 800m running stood out immediately. If he is a late bloomer then he'll thicken up a bit over the next three years and be a gun for us.

My bias would be to keep Hams in the side and drop Guelfi and Baguely for Zaka and Smith. However, you can't drop a senior player on the back of such a good game.

Also, how do we get Francis back in the side? Stewart, McKernan and Gleeson would be "best 22" too. Our best 30 is so freaking stacked today.

I don't think we'll get our own way next week like we did this week. Our mids were amazing in the way they could break away and cut North to ribbons. However, I expect Collingwood to win more of the ball and while we'll beat them with breakaway speed, they will beat us with sheer km covered.

Even though I supported Baguley in various threads I'd say if the only changes are Smith/Zaka in with Ham out then I reckon Baguley is next to be dropped. We could easily rotate Smith, Parish, McGrath, Zaka through the forward line to fill in his role without major problems. Guelfi would be the other choice. Parish played too well for me to want to drop him.

With a near fit team there's going to be some hard decisions to make. Its a good problem to have.

I wonder what we will do in the ruck? Is Bellchambers/Daniher enough to combat Grundy/Cox? I have severe doubts but I can't see what else we do unless we drop Brown for Clarke/Draper which would be crazy given Brown's kicked 3 the last 2 weeks and is in good form. I think Grundy will school Bellchambers around the ground but it may just be something we have to put up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back