Preview Round 6: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, ANZAC Day, 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the type of game where Baguley will be shown no respect and pinch 3 or 4 absolute joe the goose goals out the back. Bank it.

"For dash and gallantry the bloodthirsty Scots, Australians and Canadians led the way, with the impetuous Irish close behind. The Australian to my mind were the most aggressive, and managed to keep their form in spite of their questionable discipline. Out of the line they were undoubtedly difficult to handle, but once in it they loved a fight. They were a curious mixture of toughness and sentimentality..."
7E794062-C094-4DC8-93AC-BF4D402B9C7C.jpeg
Best day of the year.
Lest we forget.
Come on the Dons!!!

Just got back from the dawn service. I haven't been to an inner city service before, but I can say small town services are special (as they all are of course). The priest here lamented our inability as humans to resolve our conflicts through discussion, but reminded us that we must have hope and that hatred cannot succeed. Said a prayer for the survivors in Christchurch and in Sri Lanka as well. Anyway, feeling good now, and looking forward to the march and a ripping game of footy.

You need to stop with this "club can do no wrong" spiel. You can support an entity whilst criticising it. The reality is that he's equal first in frees against, and as for his "pressure" he isn't in the top 100 tacklers in the league, and doesn't even average 1 tackle inside 50 a game. Imagine as a kid at Essendon, you see experienced players basically get a free pass for playing poorly as leaders whilst you're stuck in the magoos winning by an average margin of 110 and can't get a look in.
I
I support what they are doing. It's totally fine to pour crap an Bags and the coaches if you like but they have proven this criticism wrong many times and I'm just making that point. I don't really bother with stats I just watch the game and it's obvious Bags has been poor. Yes the club can make mistakes however the club can also do a s**t load right like backing in guys like Brown, Ambrose and Smack and at the moment Bags. Whipping boys that can be very important members of the team it seems. Ambrose is currently a far better player than Francis for the team. My point was that in the long term form changes so the calls for experienced guys to never Don the sash again are simply short sighted given what guys like Brown are currently doing. In the end the coaches obviously have a strategy and how many games have we won out of the last 15 hey? As soon as Beguley is ready and in form I'd like to see Bags replaced too. The list can become stronger and the kids will get their shot when they are Afl ready just look at Redman and Ridley.

This is the type of game where Baguley will be shown no respect and pinch 3 or 4 absolute joe the goose goals out the back. Bank it.
Nah Collingwood are too tight defensively.

I'm curious about Baguley, I know he's been shifted forward for a while, but why did he actually get moved from defence? I always considered him a pretty good shut down small defender. Is that his best position?

Watch a replay of last year’s Anzac Day clash. Plus our forward pressure during our horror 2-6 start last season was very ordinary. He had a cracking game first up as a forward against Cats then a few weeks later against Giants.

I think what people need to understand about our selection is that over the last 3 years the players have been grouped into the area of the ground they play in. Now I do not agree with it but that is how they roll as far as selection goes. So the simple fact is Parish misses because two of the midfielders are back in and Guelfi retained his spot. That is the simple reason and people are going to have to get used to it because that is the system they use. IMO it is not what I would be doing but it is what it is.

The pressure on Baguely will come in a couple of weeks when Laverde and Begly are up to speed match fitness wise and given both have been played when fit and ready that pressure will come.

I still believe that Smith could be doing what Baugley has been doing this year. Bags had a strong 3/4 of a year last season and earned his contract and spot in the side at that time but he is off the pace so far this year and has been giving away some stupid free kicks because of it. It is a selection mistake but it is the selection system they use that is the issue.

You need to stop with this "club can do no wrong" spiel. You can support an entity whilst criticising it. The reality is that he's equal first in frees against, and as for his "pressure" he isn't in the top 100 tacklers in the league, and doesn't even average 1 tackle inside 50 a game. Imagine as a kid at Essendon, you see experienced players basically get a free pass for playing poorly as leaders whilst you're stuck in the magoos winning by an average margin of 110 and can't get a look in.
Another way of looking at it.. Your 21 and shown a bit. You could crack the sads about Bags or you could see he will be gone in a year and you could have his spot in a team with a crack list pushing for flags. You could work your butt off and play with Merrett and Smith. Or you could get more opportunity at the saints or dogs. The competitive kids will stay and the Carslile types will leave. It's a possibility.

I think what people need to understand about our selection is that over the last 3 years the players have been grouped into the area of the ground they play in. Now I do not agree with it but that is how they roll as far as selection goes. So the simple fact is Parish misses because two of the midfielders are back in and Guelfi retained his spot. That is the simple reason and people are going to have to get used to it because that is the system they use. IMO it is not what I would be doing but it is what it is.

The pressure on Baguely will come in a couple of weeks when Laverde and Begly are up to speed match fitness wise and given both have been played when fit and ready that pressure will come.

I still believe that Smith could be doing what Baugley has been doing this year. Bags had a strong 3/4 of a year last season and earned his contract and spot in the side at that time but he is off the pace so far this year and has been giving away some stupid free kicks because of it. It is a selection mistake but it is the selection system they use that is the issue.

Guelfi could easily be doing what Bags isn’t, or even Mynott for that matter. I thought Bags did well last season but he’s been very ordinary this year

Guelfi could easily be doing what Bags isn’t, or even Mynott for that matter. I thought Bags did well last season but he’s been very ordinary this year

I am not saying Bags should be in the side. Have simply outlined how they select the side. Not saying that is right either but it is what it is. There will be groups of players. Parish , Guelfi and Mynott are not in the same group as Bagualy. This has been going on for the third season now. The upside is both Laverde and Begly have been played when they are fit enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Parish is similar, (he is) really just forced out of the side not because he is struggling or anything like that, but because with those two guys coming in, one of the midfielders had to miss out.”

If they over possess as they have a tendency to do, the Pies could come unstuck with Essendon’s forward pressure. That will be how Essendon will win the game. Potential for plenty of Joe the Gooses under those circumstances.
Oh Dear God.
Another way of looking at it.. Your 21 and shown a bit. You could crack the sads about Bags or you could see he will be gone in a year and you could have his spot in a team with a crack list pushing for flags. You could work your butt off and play with Merrett and Smith. Or you could get more opportunity at the saints or dogs. The competitive kids will stay and the Carslile types will leave. It's a possibility.
Another way of looking at it? If I'm 21 and I'm performing in the VFL and Baguley gets a free pass for playing s**t football I'd be pretty angry.

Oh Dear God.

Another way of looking at it? If I'm 21 and I'm performing in the VFL and Baguley gets a free pass for playing s**t football I'd be pretty angry.

Why are you trying to tell people how to post?

Hadn't heard this before & it explains a lot. Borders on the NFL model of depth charts. Are you aware of many other clubs operating the same way?

If they over possess as they have a tendency to do, the Pies could come unstuck with Essendon’s forward pressure. That will be how Essendon will win the game. Potential for plenty of Joe the Gooses under those circumstances.
I agree. Pies will want to possess and control. We need to bring pressure to every contest and capitalise when they turn it over.

Oh Dear God.

Both the Eagles game and the Dogs game the Pies did over use the ball trying to keep possession and play a slow game. Was also that way against Geelong. The only reason the got up against the Dogs in the end was English could not win a hit out in the ruck after 3/4 time and their midfield ran over the Dogs in the last 20 minutes.

Hadn't heard this before & it explains a lot. Borders on the NFL model of depth charts. Are you aware of many other clubs operating the same way?

Not 100% sure with the other clubs.

Oh Dear God.

Yep that could be the situation too

Didn't some of the coaches go to the US and meet with NFL people as part of some kind of fact-finding mission a couple of years ago? Makes sense if so, though not sure how well suited it is to our context. Given what Ant said, seems impractical.

So how does Baguley fit into this policy when he started in the backline last year? Is he the exception to the rule that you can’t play in another role? What about Hooker?

I’m not having a go at you or saying you’re wrong, simply pointing out they don’t stick to it all the time, so why not make exceptions here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back