Preview Round 6: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, ANZAC Day, 3:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely Laverde in the mix with 6 goals. But they might handle him with kid golves from hereon given his injury histrory.
Don't just look at the stat sheet. Laverde was decent without being great.

Tell him to stay deep and be a pressure on anything defensive.
Otherwise aim to kick goals.
Goal kicking menace.
He CAN do that.
Be our DeGoey.
Nice approach for Laverde!!??

Tell him to stay deep and be a pressure on anything defensive.
Otherwise aim to kick goals.
Goal kicking menace.
He CAN do that.
Be our DeGoey.
Nice approach for Laverde!!??

So, stuff he didn’t do today?

Give him time. That was his first game back. He’d have a 5-day break. He’ll get his chance.

Out: Bags, Ham
In: Zaharakis, smith

As much as I loved ham’s determination, he isn’t good enough just yet on the big stage. People defending Baguley still are just delusional, he is in horrible form and cannot improve whatsoever.
I've been defending Bags. He was really good second half of last year. He deserved the last four game. Think that's done now he's shown very little and to become a great team I sadly think he makes way and probably doesn't make it back in if a kid stands up.

Laverde apparently wasn't that good even with six goals. Draper apparently wasn't either. Nor Francis. Hope they don't pick any of them and pretty confident they won't.

Zaca and Smith in. Bags and Ham out. Ham unlucky but he will get his chance.

Bags and Ham (sorry to the latter) for Smith and Zacka.

Bags hopefully knew what this season was going to be when he re-signed and a 2nd-gamer makes way for quality.

Parish has been playing some good footy so I'm not sure why we'd drop him. If we are entertaining that idea maybe we start floating his name as a potential trade.

I agree with a few others.

Out:
Bags . Looks off the pace and is giving away 3 or 4 stupid free kicks. Also called T Bell into a brain fade when as a leader he should have been telling him to take the shot.
Ham. Unlucky as for a kid who has played pretty much 1 season of under 18 , 10 minutes of JLT and 1 VFL game he did some good stuff but there are some better senior options who will be ready.

In:
Dev Smith.
Dave Zaharakis.

Smith can play the Small forward role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with a few others.

Out:
Bags . Looks off the pace and is giving away 3 or 4 stupid free kicks. Also called T Bell into a brain fade when as a leader he should have been telling him to take the shot.
Ham. Unlucky as for a kid who has played pretty much 1 season of under 18 , 10 minutes of JLT and 1 VFL game he did some good stuff but there are some better senior options who will be ready.

In:
Dev Smith.
Dave Zaharakis.

Smith can play the Small forward role.
There was some article with Dev Smith on the EFC website a while back where he acknowledged he'd be playing more forward this year. I think it's time that happens; Baguley isn't applying the pressure he was mid last year and Smith has that in spades.

Doubt collingwood will engage us in a shootout, this game will show us where we are at in terms of our midfield and forward pressure

Last time we played they didn’t let us play our running game and we nearly got over the line.

They won’t give us the space we’ve had the past 3 weeks.

Would take a contested ugly grind of a win. Show we can win even when it’s not all our way.

Pies like to keep possession and control the pace of the game. If we bring the heat consistently they'll panic and f*** it up. We're quicker on the up take and have more options forward than they can defend. We can beat them and beat them well, but we have to play strong defensively and put plenty into contested ball and tackling pressure.

Last time we played they didn’t let us play our running game and we nearly got over the line.

They won’t give us the space we’ve had the past 3 weeks.

Would take a contested ugly grind of a win. Show we can win even when it’s not all our way.

Pies won by 16 points last time (and didn’t hit the front until that last quarter). We had Ambrose, Stringer and Myers all get injuries during that game AND Fantasia was a late withdrawal to the side with a groin niggle.

An in form Bombers team can definitely match it with the Pies. Hopefully we can get the win, I think we’re more than capable of it.

Hams is the logical out but the last time* someone played their 2nd game on Anzac Day they won the medal and won by 5 goals. He has to play it’s Mabo

* absolutely no idea if it was the last time

Need to take a lesson from the Eagles who keep the ball right away from the pressure drop at a safe range chipping it about retaining possession, which will be very interesting to see given we play on instinct quite a bit with a decent slicing halfback rebound.

It seems to bamboozle the Pies traveling mid swarm and then bypass it with precision long kicking.

Ironically this is how we actually beat WC at home that time.

Ohhh Gawd i hope we snatch this one.

I want Hams in as well. Collingwood's number 1 weapon is the amount of running their mids do. I would also rather Francis playing the role Hurley is now and Hurley playing the role Ambrose is. However, this week I think Ambrose needs to run with Mihocheck. The amount of work he puts into Collingwood's linking play is phenomenal. I want Smith to play mainly forward this week. If he's managing loads, that can be one way of helping with that. His tackling pressure would be far superior to Baguley. He can also work up the ground and be an extra mid, just forward of the stoppage. That is where he can chase down the player receiving the handball out the back or fight for ground balls.

I actually think Hams was one of our best on Friday. Especially when Norf was still in it.

Out: Guelfi Baguely
In: Zaka Smith

Stiff on Guelfi, because I thought he was really good too. However, he doesn't have the x-factor of Hams's run, every other midfielder is well ahead of him and Ridley, Saad and McKenna are all ahead of him down back.

If we pick that team:

B: Hooker, Ambrose, McKenna
HB: Ridley, Hurley, Saad
C Heppell, Merrett, Redman
HF Smith, Daniher, McDonald-Tipungwuti
F Stringer, Brown, Fantasia

FOL Bellchambers, Myers, Shiel

I/C Parish, Zaharakis, McGrath, Ham

I am backing them to break even at the stoppages, but be far more damaging when they do. I am also backing them to win at both ends of the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back