• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
By bringing Baldwin and Stringer I suppose we though having those two forward whilst Wright rucks was a better option than Wright full time with Bryan as the second tall (over Baldwin)

By bringing Baldwin and Stringer I suppose we though having those two forward whilst Wright rucks was a better option than Wright full time with Bryan as the second tall (over Baldwin)
Would seem that is the thinking. Bryan unlucky. Has played really well the last 2 weeks.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Would seem that is the thinking. Bryan unlucky. Has played really well the last 2 weeks.
His forward craft would be the thing holding him back at the moment. Phillips at least is a mature body that knows how to position himself in the F50 to be a target, forward craft lacking and all.

Whereas I don't think Bryan has shown much forward craft (mostly because he plays such a high % of ruck at VFL level) and wont be as strong under the ball against AFL level defenders. Unfortunately until/unless his forward craft improved it seems Bryan's only way onto the best 22 is as the primary ruck.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Not thrilled with the Baldwin selection. Really wanted to see Bryan…deep down I knew it wouldn’t happen.

The argument against will be that he is playing ruck exclusively in VFL, hasn’t trained with the forward group etc etc…..my view is that he’s both an athlete and a natural footballer. He’ll work it out.

My gut reaction to Baldwin’s first game wasn’t good. I just couldn’t see how he’s going to impact at AFL level. Bit like the first time I saw Ned Cahill….could see the smarts but just couldn’t see a real weapon that would translate. Couldn’t be happier if it turns out I’m the wrongest person ever on this one.

Wright will have to ruck now unless they use Cox as as the back-up….my preference would be to use Cox. Don’t see us kicking a decent score if 2MP spend significant minutes away from the forward line.

He looked pretty good in the JLT right before that though. That’s why he played.
Coming of two knee recos and no footy for two years. Kids only 19, if he’s a dud then we move him on.

Does Hind out mean McGrath to the backline?
According to McGrath’s interview, he and Merrett are meant to share a role between midfield and half-back. Given how they trained all pre-season I’d suggest it’s reasonably reliable.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s interesting we have Martin, Durham and now Hobbs injected into the midfield. If Langford was there he’d be on a wing too. Cox will come good soon enough.

Which all leads to the situation where McGrath and Zac can play deep halfback roles when the ball goes down that end.

Magnet shuffling conundrums

His forward craft would be the thing holding him back at the moment. Phillips at least is a mature body that knows how to position himself in the F50 to be a target, forward craft lacking and all.

Whereas I don't think Bryan has shown much forward craft (mostly because he plays such a high % of ruck at VFL level) and wont be as strong under the ball against AFL level defenders. Unfortunately until/unless his forward craft improved it seems Bryan's only way onto the best 22 is as the primary ruck.
I agree as far as Bryan and forward craft goes. Has barley played forward and there is simply no exposed form there. Guess it comes down to can Baldwin hold down a forward spot and kick 2 or 3 goals like Wright has been doing. Wright will have to do a bit of ruck work and it is proven that when he does it has an impact on his forward results. Draper has also struggled as first ruck and over 70% game time. I am happy to see Baldwin rewarded after last weeks VFL game. We will need to see Bryan at AFL level at some stage this year as well even if it is only 3 or 4 games.:cool:

Jul 19, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
He's an Essendon player that wasn't listed. Ergo, other
He is now :moustache:

winner.jpg

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
I think when the game settles we will be lining up a bit more like;-

Lav Zerk Kelly
Heppell Ridley McGrath
Durham Merrett Redman
Perkins Cox Martin
Baldwin 2MP Guelfi

Draper Caldwell Parish

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Waterman Stringer
SUB: Hind

Really hope Stringer plays but I'm not confident hence have named him on the bench

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think when the game settles we will be lining up a bit more like;-

Lav Zerk Kelly
Heppell Ridley McGrath
Durham Merrett Redman
Perkins Cox Martin
Baldwin 2MP Guelfi

Draper Caldwell Parish

Bench: Shiel Hobbs Waterman Stringer
SUB: Hind

Really hope Stringer plays but I'm not confident hence have named him on the bench
If that's the team and the inclusions stay in I reckon we are a 50/50 after this week of shame.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
The hardest thing to see is us kicking a score with our forward line against Moore, Howe, Maynard, Pendles

Its going to have to be a low scoring win on a perfect day i believe in Melbourne

It seems Mcgrath is going back?

(B7) BZT, Lav, Ridley, Kelly, Heppell, Redman (McGrath)
(M5) Draper, Zerrett, Stringer, Shiel, Parish
(W3) N.Martin, Durham, N.Cox
(F7) Wright, Waterman, Baldwin, Perkins, Guelfi, Caldwell, Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back