Preview Round 6: Essendon vs North Melbourne, Carrara, 11/07/2020 @ 7:40PM

Who won't have less points at the end of the game? (Who wins?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a horrible feeling about this game. Exactly the type of game we lose for no reason at all.

Great win last week. Opposition got smashed. They lost 3 in a row. Hammered by injuries. We're strong favourites.
Perfect storm for Essington.
Could be a good indication of where we’re really at

Sounds like a cop out, if you ask me.View attachment 910081

Football speak for he's guarding blades of grass.

Follow up questions:

Why is it these roles are invariably given to previously under performing senior players?

Is there a reason the player in this role could not have a more positive impact on the game?

Who does a similar thing in a side that has won a flag?

Sounds like a cop out, if you ask me.View attachment 910081

That comment about Zaka doesn't make sense. The issue isn't the tactic and traditionally the HF would push up to the wing but my problem with it is why would you use Zaka for that and how does that excuse him from getting two kicks because other players have played that role and still been able to impact the game.

The other problem I have with it is if Zaka is playing in space and is a known goal kicker running loose in the forward half then why isn't he exploiting the space to also drop back and offer a lead and I can't see why an opposition side would be allowing a goal kicker to run loose around the HF/Wing.

Football speak for he's guarding blades of grass.
The Rutten/Caracella game plan requires complete 'buy in' from the players to be successful (as most game plans do) however with this game plan it breaks down completely if even one player is out of position defensively. All AFL teams can pick there way through a leaky team defence.
Follow up questions:

Why is it these roles are invariably given to previously under performing senior players?
Because they have been in the system a long time and are match hardened and fit, are experienced and understand the game plan and what the opposition are doing. Zaka is in the leadership group and it is important that they 'buy in' and lead the youngsters to do the same. It is also a sacrificial role where it is difficult to get possessions. This would be disheartening for an up and coming young player such as Ham to play this role.

Is there a reason the player in this role could not have a more positive impact on the game?
From the outside it is hard to judge how much positive impact they are having. For example the coaches may judge their game on how many outlet kicks they prevent, which cause turnovers elsewhere. When we win the ball back and move forward they are again setting up defensively in case we turn it over, not running to create. Its hard to win posessions when you are not running to position but rather protecting in case of a mistake.

Who does a similar thing in a side that has won a flag?
Dunno. Maybe Corey Ellis or Kamdyn McIntosh at Richmond?
What does it matter? It could be a new role Caracella/Rutten have introduced. I imagine there 'Richmond' game plan is more of a 'blueprint' and evolves over time.

Just as the game plan requires complete buy in from the players it might be time some supporters got on board as well?
If Ruttenella are happy with what Zaka is doing for the team, and see him as the best fit for that position, then i support that regardless of his stats or what people see from their armchair.

We will struggle with Ben Brown tonight. If Our midfield pressure isn’t high I can easily see him kicking 4-5 goals which will make it very difficult to win. Also think we might struggle to kick a winning score without Stringer.

We need to smash them
Midfield and Tippa and Smack probably need to both kick 3+ for us to have a chance. Need to keep Brown under 4. I have North as very mild favourites - would be backing us comfortably if Stringer was in.

Because they have been in the system a long time and are match hardened and fit, are experienced and understand the game plan and what the opposition are doing. Zaka is in the leadership group and it is important that they 'buy in' and lead the youngsters to do the same. It is also a sacrificial role where it is difficult to get possessions. This would be disheartening for an up and coming young player such as Ham to play this role.

This comment, should be read with the other post on the broadcast angles making AFL a boring spectacle. The stats don't necessarily reflect a player's role and the broascast only shows what's considered interesting. Whatever role Zaka's being asked to do, it seems he's doing it.

Stringer's absence will hurt us. There is no doubt.

This game is the typical game that'd end up being a loss - it has all the cliche's.

However, if it is a win - it will be one of the most important wins we'd have had in a long time. This one has potential to be no-nonsense building.

It's not even the 4 points, it's the cultural shift.

I have a horrible feeling about this game. Exactly the type of game we lose for no reason at all.

Great win last week. Opposition got smashed. They lost 3 in a row. Hammered by injuries. We're strong favourites.
Perfect storm for Essington.

Posted on an Essendon FB post that this game is going one of two ways only.

A classic Essendon, take three quarters to wrestle
momentum and get the win with a good last quarter.

Or

Do what we should do. Come out and show that we are fair dinkum about pursuing a top 4 spot that we are 1 game out of and win by plenty.

Losing this is a non negotiable. A poor North Melbourne side lacking leadership and form is there for the taking. With a fresh Zac Merret added to a high functioning midfield group, breaking even is the least we should give away to an opposition midfield missing a captain and a dual all Australian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to feel sorry for North because they were so clearly an inferior club in every way. - but never again.

After years of them taking our charity and handouts, the minute we have a minor slip up with a bit of drugs they are all over us - biting the hand that feeds them. They are a blight on the competition and need to be dealt with this evening in no uncertain terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to feel sorry for North because they were so clearly an inferior club in every way. - but never again.

After years of them taking our charity and handouts, the minute we have a minor slip up with a bit of drugs they are all over us - biting the hand that feeds them. They are a blight on the competition and need to be dealt with this evening in no uncertain terms.
"...a minor slip up with a bit of drugs..." that's hilarious. Like "I accidentally put my d*** in the mashed potato"

This game just has 'Shinboner Special' written all over it.

We are a very, very poor club/team when it comes to backing up a good performance. I think this has more to do with the playing group than anything the coaching staff can do (whether it be 'in game' moves or selections). This has been the case for most of the last decade. I don't think the holiday atmosphere on the Gold Coast is going to change this mindset... in fact possibly make it worse.

It's a worrying sign as a North team minus Cunnington, Zeibell (with a likely underdone Higgins) and a few others is a team that should be beaten by any team half serious.

This game just has 'Shinboner Special' written all over it.

We are a very, very poor club/team when it comes to backing up a good performance. I think this has more to do with the playing group than anything the coaching staff can do (whether it be 'in game' moves or selections). This has been the case for most of the last decade. I don't think the holiday atmosphere on the Gold Coast is going to change this mindset... in fact possibly make it worse.

It's a worrying sign as a North team minus Cunnington, Zeibell (with a likely underdone Higgins) and a few others is a team that should be beaten by any team half serious.
Is it your birthday today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back