Game Day Round 6, GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Sat 30th April, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
This week’s match against the Hawks at Spotless Stadium starts a run of games with the potential to define us for the next couple of seasons. Yes, it really is that significant.

Win at least four of the next seven games, and six of the next nine before the bye, and we’ll probably play our maiden finals campaign this season.

So the stakes are high, starting with the reigning premiers on Saturday.

Watching the Crows-Hawks game on Friday night, it’s clear that Hawthorn’s highly successful game plan is still intact. Precision by foot. Structural discipline. Relentlessness. They were even coming off a five-day break, and still had enough to overcome a determined and much improved Crows team.

They have an uncanny general awareness of where team-mates are. Even if disposals don’t stick, I was amazed at how many little taps ended up with another Hawk who then got them moving forward again. And this time, they’ll be coming off an eight-day break.

Having said that, there are faint signs of weakness.

While the game plan is still intact, it isn’t being executed with the same intensity as in previous seasons. They’re vulnerable to speed, something the Crows were able to exploit, which is why that game was so close. It was also why the Saints and Bulldogs ran them close in the previous fortnight.

So where does that leave us?

We have been competitive against Hawthorn in the past couple of seasons, just falling short in 2014 before achieving our maiden win last year. It’s no secret this coincided with the arrival of Leon Cameron, a former assistant coach. Inside knowledge is handy sometimes.

Looking at the stats, it’s hard to make a case for too many changes this week. The only players who had quiet games today were Kennedy, Whitfield, Lobb and Patton. Perhaps Palmer might come in for either Kennedy or more likely Whitfield. I can’t see any point in changing the forward line.

As for the backline, they’ve been exceptional in the past fortnight. Is there a place for Nick Haynes at the moment? Perhaps bring him in for Patfull?

In summary, we have the leg speed to trouble Hawthorn, and plenty of it. Our run-and-carry game is wonderful to watch and we have talent across the park. But to win on Saturday we’re really going to have to look out for each other, make sure there’s always someone around to help out when the pressure’s on, which it will be for four quarters.

We’re back in Sydney for the first time this year and I think there will be a big crowd. And I think we will win.

Giants by 16.

Just looked at our slate of games in Sydney. They look pretty good if we get through Hawthorn - Sydney, obviously, but Carlton, Collingwood and Fremantle. Hopefully we can have as good results back home as we've been having in Canberra.

Hawthorn looked in top flight last Friday. Class players all around the ground. It will be crucial to win the clearance battle.

Got tickets to Charles III (with Robert Powell) at Sydney Theatre for Christmas, so shall be enjoying dinner and a show with family & friends. Really looking forward to it btw - but also a little :( and :mad: that I miss the Hawks game.
I have no idea who/what that is.

But I hope you enjoy it.

Haven't seen the full report on the NEAFL game, but the 'best in the seconds' report:

This weekend: Gold Coast v Giants - Saturday April 23, 6pm, Tony Ireland Stadium, Townsville
Just days after being elevated to the Giants' senior list, 188cm forward Sam Reid kicked six of his side's eight goals in the 24-point loss.
Midfielder Jacob Hopper, who accumulated a match-high 38 touches last weekend, continued his good recent run and booted a goal, while big man Tim Mohr and defender Nick Haynes were also among the Giants' best.

I should think that, barring any injuries, Nick Haynes is the only one with a significant chance to come in. But, Sam Reid is certainly putting his hand up for a chance should a small opportunity open up!

Haven't seen the full report on the NEAFL game, but the 'best in the seconds' report:

This weekend: Gold Coast v Giants - Saturday April 23, 6pm, Tony Ireland Stadium, Townsville
Just days after being elevated to the Giants' senior list, 188cm forward Sam Reid kicked six of his side's eight goals in the 24-point loss.
Midfielder Jacob Hopper, who accumulated a match-high 38 touches last weekend, continued his good recent run and booted a goal, while big man Tim Mohr and defender Nick Haynes were also among the Giants' best.

I should think that, barring any injuries, Nick Haynes is the only one with a significant chance to come in. But, Sam Reid is certainly putting his hand up for a chance should a small opportunity open up!
Reid is behind Palmer and Greene.

Surely injury gives him his chance?

I have no idea who/what that is.

But I hope you enjoy it.

You'd recognise Robert Powell if you saw/heard him. The Italian Job (original) Tommy, the Detectives and the narration of just about every second series on the History Channel - WWII in colour, Hitler's/Churchill's bodyguard, secrets of WWII - Great crimes and trials of the 20th century - things like that.

Play is new, but supposed to be very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got tickets to Charles III (with Robert Powell) at Sydney Theatre for Christmas, so shall be enjoying dinner and a show with family & friends. Really looking forward to it btw - but also a little :( and :mad: that I miss the Hawks game.

It's pretty good. Didn't know the actor until I heard an interview he did with Margaret Throsby on the radio after seeing the play, but the play itself was really good. Just plausible enough to keep it interesting, while also having a laugh pretty often.

So does Haynes come in? Hard to leave someone of his quality out.

Massive test for the team and the Hawks will be up for this game as well. I can see this being tight contested style with the midfield group needing to show strength against an older more experienced opposition
Palmer a chance to come back in but not sure who would drop out of the 22 for him

Cant make the game
I can confirm that even if I had front row seats to Scarlett Johansson's nude pole dancing debut, I will be going to the Hawks game.

So from the last up win against Hawthorn to yesterday's team....

Out: Stewart, McCarthy, Treloar, Hoskin-Elliot, Haynes, Bugg

In : Patton, Lobb, Johnson, Steele, Wilson, Kelly.

Methinks we're a stronger team, with only Treloar and Haynes question marks and Haynes could be there anyway.

Wilson for Bugg - no offence to Tommy but on current form I want wilson's dash
Patton & Lobb for Stewart & McCarthy - push at worst
Johnson for WHE - no contest, Stevie J

Kelly is coming into his own - young master (9) yesterday after he weighted the ball over the head of a saints player to set up Greene, called him "Mr Smooth" and Steele is giving grunt and getting better.

Structurally it's interesting because while there are obvious straight swaps for some players you wouldn't say Kelly and Steele for Haynes and Treloar. Steele for Treloar but Kelly for Haynes?:confused: But we had the sub last year (Zac) and there are different strategies with a sub.

So from the last up win against Hawthorn to yesterday's team....

Out: Stewart, McCarthy, Treloar, Hoskin-Elliot, Haynes, Bugg

In : Patton, Lobb, Johnson, Steele, Wilson, Kelly.

Methinks we're a stronger team, with only Treloar and Haynes question marks and Haynes could be there anyway.

Wilson for Bugg - no offence to Tommy but on current form I want wilson's dash
Patton & Lobb for Stewart & McCarthy - push at worst
Johnson for WHE - no contest, Stevie J

Kelly is coming into his own - young master (9) yesterday after he weighted the ball over the head of a saints player to set up Greene, called him "Mr Smooth" and Steele is giving grunt and getting better.

Structurally it's interesting because while there are obvious straight swaps for some players you wouldn't say Kelly and Steele for Haynes and Treloar. Steele for Treloar but Kelly for Haynes?:confused: But we had the sub last year (Zac) and there are different strategies with a sub.
If we're looking purely at changes from last year, Hawks probably have the more upside as they were missing Hodge, Lewis and Frawley in our meeting last year.

That said though, the evolution of our game plan and more importantly, our increased ability to execute it, leave me quietly confident that we can get the biscuits again this week.

Toby had an outstanding game yesterday, and I don't think any of us saw it coming. He was everywhere and it caught the Saints completely off-guard; they had no answer for him.

I wonder if Leon can engineer something similar this week? Maybe someone else can have a break-out sort of game.
For mine, Kelly is the most likely next young gun to have a break out game. Like the Warragamba after the rains he is ready to spill over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back