Review Round 6 - GWS vs WBD - Manuka 23rd April 7.50PM

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Run out of puff like last night.

doesn’t help when HH, Hill, Bruhn, Stone & Riccardi have 27 between them for the game

Has idun kicked forward at all this match? Mustve gained negative metres. His defensive efforts are great, but his backwards/lateral kicking has put so much pressure on our defence. Him and buckley are big culprits of this.
Agree. Both capable defenders but refuse to take the game on.

Fair enough though, both are playing to keep their spot in the side.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
surprisingly in it until 3/4 time and certainly didn’t deserve the final score line.

there needs to be a please explain issued to the umpires regarding their officiating of this match in general (first half in particular) and their treatment of Toby Greene specifically. it was nothing short of disgraceful.

I’m also sick to f***ing death of the dogs just throwing the ball. they weren’t even trying to disguise it tonight.
522616BC-D692-4CEE-837F-487C018D2B90.jpeg

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
HH should be looking over his should with Hogan ready to play. Struggles to bring it to ground

To be fair, HH has been forced to step into Jezza’s shoes.

He played as a solo KPF for the first three rounds.

To me he just looks like he needs a week off or, more realistically given our injuries, a change of position as Hogan rotates in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair, HH has been forced to step into Jezza’s shoes.

He played as a solo KPF for the first three rounds.

To me he just looks like he needs a week off or, more realistically given our injuries, a change of position as Hogan rotates in.

Think Hogan in will do HH a world of good, takes some attention off him and lets him play more as a smaller forward who can roam up the ground.

Riccardi’s numbers really were poor.

Would playing Briggs instead in a dual ruck structure have been a better option?

Think it is Hogan for Riccardi next week

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen these before, this is a summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 27 Bounces

Ward 23
Hopper 22
Kelly 20 wing
O'Halloran 17 wing
Taranto 15
Stone 12 wing
Green 12
Daniels 9
Himmelberg 3 wing
Haynes 1 wing
Bruhn 1 wing

Flynn 23
Finlayson 4

Centre Clearances (7-17)

Hopper 1
Green 1
Taranto 1
Ward 1
Flynn 1
Ash 1
Cumming 1

Quarter by Quarter Breakdown - Q1

Ward 4
Hopper 3
XOH 3 wing
Stone 3 wing
Green 3
Taranto 2
Haynes 1 wing

Q2

Ward 7
Hopper 6
Kelly 5 wing
XOH 5 wing
Taranto 4
Stone 4 wing
Green 4

Q3

Ward 3
Hopper 3
Kelly 3 wing
Stone 3 wing
Daniels 3
XOH 2 wing
Taranto 2
Green 1

Q4

Kelly 11 wing
Hopper 10
Ward 9
XOH 7 wing
Taranto 7
Daniels 6
Green 4
Himmelberg 3 wing
Stone 2 wing
Bruhn 1 wing

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Injuries and the loss of Jezza have been cruel for us.

Haynes leaving defence and Davis missing has caused a lot of disorganisation. We simply have to draft a high level key defender to assist Taylor next year, we look messy and unsure back there.

Riccardi is not going to be the Jezza replacement. He’s handy depth but that’s about him. Hogan needs to be the man but I guess it’s his fitness. We could also use another high pressure small like Hill who is developing very well and creates chaos.

X has been good before yesterday but his kicking was costly last night. Needs to improve this area as he has some Maynard style mongrel which is good. Stone’s body shape reminds me a bit of Griffen but he doesn’t have his agility, he’s a nice style of player but will take a season or two.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The off-season losses (Jezza, Corr, Williams, Heater) were challenging enough to deal with, but adding in the pre-season injuries, then the early season injuries, and this season was always going to be (and will remain) a very difficult mountain to climb. We have 800 games of experience sitting in the rehab ward in 5 players who would have been best 22 (Davis, MdB, Coniglio, Whitfield & Kennedy). Playing the ladder leaders was always going to be a tough game - especially since Stefan Martin has been the key to unlock their already dominant midfield. There's a bunch of defenders in those two lists of our departed/missing, so our defence is very much in rebuild mode.

That said, we held the Dogs close for 3/4 of the game, and had to deal with some diabolical umpiring that gave the Dogs everything and us nothing in the first half. I think we simply ran out of gas in the last quarter. I am happy with the players' effort and the approach, although we did run into our old problem of struggling to get past out of D50.

I still hold that we could have selected the team smarter in the last two weeks to have a better ruck set-up, but we still saw Flynn continue to fight throughout the game, and he's impressive in being able to take marks around the ground.

Overall, though, happy enough to learn what we can from that and hopefully apply to next week.

I do think that Hogan is a must to come in and see what impact he can have up forward. Probably for Riccardi - I still think he has a great future, but we need to see if Hogan's experience can improve the KPF set-up.

Otherwise, Haynes will need to be replaced, and I'm unsure if there's an injury to O'Halloran that will keep him out. Otherwise Stone & Bruhn were fairly limited in output, so would come under scrutiny, but I'm not sure if there's actually anyone on the sideline ready to come in. We could swap Hogan & Briggs in for Riccardi & Haynes, swapping Finlayson to the wing and trialling a two-ruck set-up, swapping into the forward line. I doubt that will happen but would be an option.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Dissapointed with the loss but it was to be expected IMO as with 10 players under 20 games of experience it was a development team and to stay with the dogs for 3/4 was a good effort
Some thoughts
Buckley could be a KPD he had a few good moments but still a lot of work to go
Flynn took a couple of good contested marks but likewise a lot to learn about ruck craft
Good to see Ash gets his hands on the ball so much he just needs to try and be more damaging with his disposal (Partly to do with what was offered by team mates) I would like to seee Cumming and Idun develop their running game more as it would make the team so much more dangerous with those runners but with the experience they have it will come over time as they learn to read the game better and trust the others around them
Quiet game by the key forwards but credit to the dogs defenders and system
Smashed around the contest and also drawn to the ball to easily, the team needs hybrid mid and for players not to be drawn to the ball to easily and this has been a problem for the team for a few years

Plenty for the coaches to dissect and it will be another young team for next week
Whitfield for Haynes and Hogan for Riccardi would be my changes and they may swap Stone and Bruhn around as I dont think any others from the fit listed players would be ready

Back