Autopsy Round 6: Hawks don’t leave lockdown. Pies play halfcourt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Also on a side note I’m a bit over Gunstons sooking and complaining, he needs to pull his head in and show some leadership.

Sorry mate but I rather someone who looks like he gives a sh**t in gunston captaincy over someone who just smiles and laughs after a loss in Stratton. Have you seen they way we deliver inside fwd50 if in fact we actually get it there? I would strip Stratton captaincy and make gunston and smith co captains for the rest of the year at least these 2 guys would fire up this squad in huddles and wouldn't smile after a loss.

Our side is very one paced. I dunno how to explain it better, but basically we lack dynamic players who can break the game open (sans Chad sometimes).

Through half back, centre and half forward - all the players kind of play with the same speed, half attack the ball and don't move the ball with intent.
I reckon its more a one paced game plan, where control of possession is so ingrained in the playing group they very rarely take risk. And when they are getting touched up like last night the confidence within the group seems to disappear, and all ya get is this ultra careful back, sideways,sideways, back get trapped release the ball by foot or hand to an outnumbered contest or to a teamate who's red Hot under pressure, stoppage style of play. The ball movement becomes so slow that the space for forwards to actually lead into is gone and the option left is high bomb, hope for the best.

Sorry mate but I rather someone who looks like he gives a sh**t in gunston captaincy over someone who just smiles and laughs after a loss in Stratton. Have you seen they way we deliver inside fwd50 if in fact we actually get it there? I would strip Stratton captaincy and make gunston and smith co captains for the rest of the year at least these 2 guys would fire up this squad in huddles and wouldn't smile after a loss.

A real leader doesn’t whinge on field, he has a talk to them on the side. Isn’t a good look and I’d argue that it’s not him giving a s**t rather the opposite

That unrealistic attempt was blatantly obvious. And they goaled from that play. Are we the only team that ever gets that paid against us? And barely a word from the commentary. If it was the other way they’d still be taking about it.
There is no denying we were awful. But the last 3 weeks has seen some disgraceful umpiring where clearly the same rules don’t apply for both teams. It’s obvious to all and nothing is done about it. As a player it must be demoralising at times.
This is what I find strange the phrase realistic attempt to dispose of the ball. It's cancerous, I listened to 927rsn during the week and Hayden Kennedy the umpires boss was using it and I almost vomited at the amount of times he used it and the gay abandonment in it's use. Why was I triggered so much by this? Because at no time during the conversation was there any consideration for the legal disposal or correct disposal used just degrees of realistic.
To make a decision on HTB is so simple and has nothing to do with the flow of the game.
Prior opportunity, yes then must dispose of the ball legally. No then no need to squirm like an eel just ball it up. This bullshiting about realistic attempt, if it is even a rule flys in the face of a foundation rule requiring players to dispose of the ball legally.

Not necessarily directed at you joehawk, just some ranty crap I needed to get off my liver.
Throw, handball meh who cares if you are an umpire being taught about just make it look realistic.:mad:

BS. You don't need to be Hodge to be a great leader. I'd take Roughead, Mitchell, Vanderberg, Crawford the list goes on over Stratton any day of the week.

You don't make the classroom clown the school captain, it's one of the most baffling and bizzare team decisions this football club has made in recent years.
Voted by the players before being held up for some time, before being finally rubber stamped at board level. Clearly held up at the time for a reason.
Not saying there was a clear reluctance but there was plenty of cross-checking amongst departments.

We'll string a couple of good wins together with our batshit boring game style and vanilla list giving everybody the false impression that we're still relevent and heading in the right direction. Thanks to our list management strategy we have wasted the last 5 years when we could've been honest with ourselves and taken a different/more drastic direction.

I think it’s more to do with willingness to be daring. We are way too conservative, structured and easy to plan for. And we are way too nice. Every chance the opposition gets to hurt, they take it. Too many nice men at the minute and as a result you gets blokes like Hoskin Elliot and Stephenson getting in players faces. I mean really, think about that for a second.

Absolutely agree. Losing the game in the style we have the last 2 weeks and against those perennial pretenders from Geelong, wasn't frustrating enough, seeing the players get pushed around by piss ants like mentioned above, is a disgrace.
I'm glad Frosty showed some prick and stood up to these flogs.

As for
Stratton - similar to Mr Andrews, could not run the change in his pocket let alone his people
Puopolo - absolutely cooked
TObrien - just making up the numbers
Henderson - has no idea, maybe to many concussions, I'd be suprised if he knows his own name half the time.
Ceglar - has been soundly beaten by every ruckman so far...all started when the worst ruckman in the comp (Stanley) embarrassed him.
Scully - spoilt little kid who isn't getting his way, so "stuff it, I'll sulk and not try anymore" attitude.

And another thing, I'm happy to pay my $1000/year membership this year, but seriously, dishing out that s**t all year is going to get very old very soon and is total dis respect for the people who pay the wages.

Why is this club so scared of bottoming out it absolutely s**** me , It's the cycle of football if we had let it happen after our grandfinals we would be contending again . Instead they give us a bit of hope by topping up with Mitchell's , o mearas , wingsrds and bring in more experience in henderson (who has been great but should of been allowed to retire last year) and Scully who is just a nothing player .

We have thrown away our chance at quality youth and you can say its a lottery but there wouldn't be one supporter on here dissapointed to have day in the team and the sad thing is outside of him im not sure we have anyone that has growth to become a potential a grader . No doubt will get criticised for this and at the time I was all for the trade but right now I'd prefer the later .

2016 In omeara - first pick traded out had the potential to pick up simpkin, Marshall, Florent or English.

2018 in wingard - first pick they brought in duursma and added Burton.

Both years the club could have looked to move up in the draft but never had that option , I havent even bothered to look into all the second round picks we also could have used .

For the rest pf the year might aswell be an experiment and see what we have .

Out - ceglar, henderson, scully , patton, stratton, puopolo.

In- cj, finn, Moore, Jones (what confidence that must give a kid to be dropped after a pretty solid debut ) , Hartley, scrimshaw

Also patton should have to come out and explain himself for his attitude that was absolutely pathetic .

I'd like to see the team with full availability before making an assessment about whether or not we need a full rebuild because I believe we just have the wrong personnel in the team. Impey, CJ and Scrimshaw alone will give us a bit of spark across half back. You have Day there as well ( Who should play every game from here on in unless we need to manage his body) which allows for flexibility about who shouldn't be playing. Way too many defensive minded players is killing our ball movement. We get rid of 1 negative player in Stratton and replace with at least 2 offensive playmakers in Scrimshaw and Impey we may be able to start getting somewhere. CJ can play the negative role that Stratton does but can provide offense as well. You need 1 negative stopper for the dangerous small to mid forwards not 3 and that actually should be Frost IMO. Release Dimma to be more of a distributer which should again help our ball movement. Cegler out and McEvoy playing Ruck/Forward is a no brainer as well.

Clarko needs to be a little more braver and have faith in the players we have on the list. Especially the guys who have been in the system long enough to know the game plan and what's required. If he is not willing to play them why have them on the list because you have several under performing players that replacing them with like for like types cannot be any worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall many posters suggesting Will Day was too slightly built to play AFL for several years and there is some justification for arriving at that view.
However, last night we saw the talent that our recruiters obviously noticed before picking him first.
I suspect he will need to be managed to avoid injury early on but he is a talent.
Great to see Frost step in and help when the Pies tried to rough him up.

Also thought Morris showed alot of mongrel but lacked a bit of polish. Need to persist with him because he at least tried to put on a bit of heat to anyone who had the ball in his vicinity. Has a genuine crack and is a much better option than Puopolo or Hanrahan at this stage. Him, Breust and Wingard should be enough moving forward to keep the ball in there as long as we bring the bloody thing to ground often enough

Some perspective first

We’ve had the toughest draw bar none. For a non finalist in 2019 it’s ridiculous the draw we’ve had. Will only get easier

Will Day, will be elite. Foot skills, evasion, tough. Looks to me a Fyfe type without the bash and crash style.
Morris had a dip after not starting well.
Frost, enforcer and daring. Great recruit
Mitchell got a heap and was a 1 man band in there, building nicely

The bad- Game plan, Clarko knows we can’t out score teams as such so we need to minimise the damage and hope we are close enough to snag a win, unsustainable.
The list-Too old, I can count 6-8 that need to go, but do we bite the bullet and blooda bunch of kids and lose accordingly or do we persist with the older guys?
Henderson, Puopolo, Stratton, Scully all got to go, they are just taking a kids spot and delaying our development.
Frustrating night but the draw should open up for us now, still think 7-8 spot is available for us but geez we need a list transition

nah Sicily was good even when we were getting pounded. Took a bunch of intercept marks and was our only real threat coming out of DEF50. Not his fault the rest of our team was incapable of presenting well for him in the corridor
He shanked a couple of kicks badly in the first half. Looked laconic. At times we need to give him jobs to keep him focussed as he can just drift at times. His second half was very solid.

Sorry but I’d rather omeara over Simpkin English and the other bloke mentioned any day of the week

don’t need Burton so I’m happy with the wingard trade

just need a fit squad and a change of gameplan. More attacking and daring.
Need to have everyone available and play our absolute best team before throwing the toys out of the cot about a rebuild. It may change some of the players attitude and application knowing we should start to play a more attractive brand out on the field. We are setting up the way we are possibly as a byproduct of not having enough of the players we need available to play our best footy right now IMO.

Also thought Morris showed alot of mongrel but lacked a bit of polish. Need to persist with him because he at least tried to put on a bit of heat to anyone who had the ball in his vicinity. Has a genuine crack and is a much better option than Puopolo or Hanrahan at this stage. Him, Breust and Wingard should be enough moving forward to keep the ball in there as long as we bring the bloody thing to ground often enough

They better not touch Morris.

I reckon I watched 8 senior players duck their heads last night and pull out of contests.

Need to have everyone available and play our absolute best team before throwing the toys out of the cot about a rebuild. It may change some of the players attitude and application knowing we should start to play a more attractive brand out on the field. We are setting up the way we are possibly as a byproduct of not having enough of the players we need available to play our best footy right now IMO.
Exactly, still missing impey scrimshaw Breust . This team hasn’t had continuity with a best 22.

They better not touch Morris.

I reckon I watched 8 senior players duck their heads last night and pull out of contests.
Could absolutely see him with a bit more confidence fly the flag for the boys regularly. Is exactly who we need right now no more soft players who want to play pretty footy but don't want to get down and dirty for the team aka Scully or Ollie.

Regardless of result tonight, why did AFL put us into tonight’s match off a 5 day break after playing the graveyard shift on Sunday night? There is a heap of teams sitting in hubs in Sydney. Surely that thought has to go through AFL’s minds when drawing up the roster? Melbourne Gold Coast and Sydney all could of slotted into tonight’s game for a more equitable draw.
Hawks were dead in the legs from the get go. Not an excuse for tonight’s performance but it just doesn’t add up.
Most Victorian teams have not even played one game in the hub environment and yet the corrupt AFL gave us two in the first 5 days.
Well Hocking you can try to spoil Hawthorn's efforts in the future but you will never get your hands on the 1989 cup you loser.

Intercept marks don't hold much value when you have 3.1 kicked on you and your opposition coach's strategy is to go through your man. Even less value when your opposition coach got that idea from the opposition coach from the previous week and was able to snag 4 goals through your direct opponent and you made no attempt at focusing on your defensive side to prevent clubs going through you to score goals.

This is 100% spot on.

Anyone suggesting Sicily was good last night is not watching. His first half was embarrassing and no doubt clarko eye balled him at half time and told him to pull his head in quick smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back