Game Day Round 6 Matchday Discussion - Anzac Day - "Lest We Forget"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you're right that in its early years the VFL, or whatever it was called then, was simply a local competition with local players, but interstate fans who think it was always just a local competition on a par with the other state comps don't know the history of the game.

As it developed the VFL became the benchmark competition in the land. Nearly all the top interstate talent wanted to play at the top level and joined Victorian clubs. There were a couple of notable exceptions from WA and SA who refused to leave their state competitions, but they were very much in the minority. This made the VFL virtually a national competition for many decades prior to the introduction of true interstate teams and the creation of the AFL. The records of clubs who played in the VFL years certainly deserve to be recognised and their premierships counted.
With achieved in the VFL and a little * next to them maybe.

The AFL is a national competition.
Those premiership should always be remembered but for what they were, state league premierships against 15-20% of the nation's population.

A flag won in the 1950s where some blokes could walk down to Waverly park after playing 14 games with-in tram distance of each other to win a flag is completely irrelevant to something like West Coast traveling 500,000km over 23 weeks against 17 other teams playing games in Tasmania, Northern territory and every other state in the country then playing an away game in order to win a flag.
It's not even close to comparable.

The bloke from SCS with the early hawks news every week has confirmed Kosi is playing.

Hopefully saves a few from munching a donut.

If I don't see Jordan Clark's name on the team sheet at 6:30 tonight, I'm going to
giphy.gif

me also - not a huge issue, but I would love to squeeze another $40k or more out of him
It's huge for me, if he plays I can get Neale, if he doesn't then I need to bring in a cheap DEF premo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My supercoach team vs the Star Wars movies:

Unquestionably delivered: Gawn, Macrae, Dunkley, Bont, Ziebell, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back

Absolutely worth having but something minor puts it behind the last category: Ridley, Houston, Return of the Jedi, The Last Jedi

Good - not quite as good as everyone says - but I don't regret their place: Lloyd, Rogue One

Not original but well put together and I've enjoyed their presence: Merrett, Boak, Impey, Docherty, The Force Awakens

Should be good in theory but executed badly: Taranto, Flynn, Revenge of the Sith

Terrible except for a couple of minor moments or two: Rowe, The Phantom Menace, The Rise of Skywalker

Oh yeah, that thing exists: Brockman, Solo

Absolutely s**t house: Highmore, Kosi, Treacy, Attack of the Clones

Taranto, Bont, Dunkley with Scott as the loophole (subject to teams tonight) and Flynn to continue to mooo

would love 350 with a 60+ loop score

Macrae and Dunkley will go nuts as usual you'd think. Need almost a 140+ score to be confident to take the VC over Gawn though (even then you could be losing points).

Taranto time to lift tonight mate. Although I am worried about the Dogs completely overrunning the GWS midfield. Could be another average Taranto game. 100+ please

Scott (E) who cares. Just keep your spot to make some cash so I can get rid of you soon

Last edited:
My supercoach team vs the Star Wars movies:

Unquestionably delivered: Gawn, Macrae, Dunkley, Bont, Ziebell, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back

Absolutely worth having but something minor puts it behind the last category: Ridley, Houston, Return of the Jedi, The Last Jedi

Good - not quite as good as everyone says - but I don't regret their place: Lloyd, Rogue One

Not original but well put together and I've enjoyed their presence: Merrett, Boak, Impey, Docherty, The Force Awakens

Should be good in theory but executed badly: Taranto, Flynn, Revenge of the Sith

Terrible except for a couple of minor moments or two: Rowe, The Phantom Menace, The Rise of Skywalker

Oh yeah, that thing exists: Brockman, Solo

Absolutely sh*t house: Highmore, Kosi, Treacy, Attack of the Clones

Last Jedi should be in absolutely shithouse.

Sounds like Kosi is going to play...

So next - what about Highmore - any news?

There's no talk of him coming in on the Saints board, Webster is out injured so he could be a chance to replace him but it will probably be Long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back