Review Round 6 Positives and Negatives v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please explain to me why JK's "goal", that hit Lecca's foot, was deemed a point? Surely it should still have been a goal, but to Lecca!
Because it skimmed Lecras' back? Seemed pretty obvious to me based on the replays on the big screens at the ground.

I love how everyone is getting excited by us barely beating Collingwood on our home deck, and make no mistake we were barely beating them til they slipped over and Cripps ran into the goal to spark us again. If we win next week or at least put up a decent fight against the Cats, then i think we'd have good reasons to be optimistic.
Having said that it was good to see Redden & Duggan play well yesterday. Hopefully that is a sign that they will start to step up when needed.
:)
You call this excitement? I've found the response to be pretty realistic on the border of negative.

We all know what we need to do Saturday. Its only round 6, and we are 4-2 but I reckon mentally our season goes on the line. We need that belief IMO to go to that next step.

You call this excitement? I've found the response to be pretty realistic on the border of negative.

We all know what we need to do Saturday. Its only round 6, and we are 4-2 but I reckon mentally our season goes on the line. We need that belief IMO to go to that next step.

Yep, lots of people seem impressed by what i thought was a pretty average or below performance yesterday. If we lapse for two quarters like we did yesterday against a decent team we will be spanked, and not in the good way. ;)

Yep, lots of people seem impressed by what i thought was a pretty average or below performance yesterday. If we lapse for two quarters like we did yesterday against a decent team we will be spanked, and not in the good way. ;)
Such as who?

I can safely say we all feel the same way. Bright flat track start, beaten in the 2nd & 3rd by a midfield when the pressure rose, then skied nicely home when they ran out of puff.

Could be scary Saturday. Geelong looked awesome v GCS Saturday night.

Such as who?

I can safely say we all feel the same way. Bright flat track start, beaten in the 2nd & 3rd by a midfield when the pressure rose, then skied nicely home when they ran out of puff.

Could be scary Saturday. Geelong looked awesome v GCS Saturday night.

Just seems the general consensus form peoples posts Biggie. I think we will get pumped.

plenty of good performances, though most of them were observed when the game was over.

for too many a 'hard ball get' means throwing the head back and hoping for a free kick.

Positives :
The team goal in the 3rd quarter was brilliant , Hurn from fullback Darling marks in the midfield kicks to Kennedy marks goes back kicks the goal a 6 second play .
We won to go 4-2 so we stay on track
No obvious injuries ,so good news there
Liked Redden's game could be a very good player for us
Lycett showing a lot of talent
Duggan impressive game
Shep shook off some of his crappiness
Lecra good game and kicked a ripper of a goal
We had a lot of players down today and we were still able to answer the challenge and respond to have a runaway victory .

Negatives:

Being out played for a quarter and a half when the guys dropped their work rate and intensity .

Positives
Ruck dominance around the ground and when resting forward forward
LeCras kicking a bit straighter
Duggans best game for the year, same for Sheppard and Redden
Kennedy's leading, marking and tackling
Lycett's aggresion at the contest

Negatives
Kennedy's kicking for goal
We left them in the game for much longer than needed through wasted shots
We allowed them to get on top of us in the clearances through the middle of the game
McKenzie & Butler really do slow down the ball movement too much at times

Gaff not A grade?

Surely he is an A minus at least, wasn't his best game on Sunday but the man cuts you to ribbons when on song.
ok A minus maybe but thats pushing it. too many pedestrians in the team though. shuey is the only player in the mix who has elevated his game to the next level. his tackling, his kicking, his 1%s and him braking the line. I understand Gaff is a different type player, requires different skills. but for him to be an elite winger he needs to up the ante on his aggressiveness, his tackling. his tackling is just putrid mate, looks scared to tackle. also cant shrug off a tackle. sure, give him an open paddock, he looks great, but good teams in finals dont allow that and he gets killed. masto has more aggressiveness but he lacks confidence now, and also cant shrug off a tackle. we need guys like redden, yeo and duggan to take it up another notch so we can compete in te middle or its going to be a tough year.

Some second-viewing reflections while I put off real-life responsibilities... bolded my main reflection from the game for the tldr

+

Duggan and Jetta in the first half were incredibly skillful with their disposal. Jetta in particular: amazing how he’s able to create space with his disposal. Didn’t notice this last night, but in the first half he was very good with the limited opportunities he found.

Butler and Hill just get it done with some beautiful tackles to lock it in d50. Not game changers, but both have been pretty consistent all year. Love how Hill has been able to work on his game around the ground this year.

Cripps was good. Wasn’t all that effective when moved into the stoppages, but neither were Hutch or Priddis. Cripps is elite at corralling an opponent, something a lot of our players can learn from. Works so well with Lecca when they're both on.

Mckenzie stuck a good tackle in the third that led to a Lycett goal but wowee hope he finds some form soon.

Collingwood played well in the second quarter, fewer turnovers and generally used it well. They played as well as they did in the third, but we matched it in the second. Whilst we didn’t take our opportunities in front of goal, it was good to see us competing against a team playing well in this quarter at least. All the doom and gloom posters shitting themselves about the Cats need to go back and recognise that Collingwood played very well for a half of footy, and that we matched it for at least half of the time. More so if we kicked straight as many have noted, but we didn't stuff things up nearly as much as some people are making out.

Coast to coast play. Our rebound is starting to look dangerous again. We’ll punish teams this year who can’t lock it in their forward 50 after a kick in. We were in it / matching when the Pies mids were really hard at the contest, and we destroyed them for minor errors.

-

Duggan and Jetta, both of them looked out of position a lot of times in the second half, unsure where to run defensively, and weren’t able to affect the contest. Duggan came good in fourth. They'll learn eventually, might be done at WAFL level, but they'll learn.

Priddis was even worse than I remembered. Barely did anything effectively in the first three quarters. One of his worst games in the last couple of years perhaps. Wasn’t winning the ball, wasn’t sticking tackles when Pies mids did. Got caught multiple times. When he did win it he turned it over in congestion. Was okay in the last. Barely.

Wellingham looked a bit hesitant at the contest after first quarter. Moment in the third where he chose not to attack a Crisp mark after a Priddis turnover, then didn’t make the effort to tackle Treloar. Needed to make an impact in at least one of those contests to prevent the goal. Hopefully related to fitness and he can build.

First few mins of third quarter Lecras’s disposal was woeful: missed an easy shot, overcooked a pass to Darling, sold Masten into trouble. Can forgive him going missing in the second given how dominant Pies were in making a contest, there wasn't anyone to feed it to him.

+ Duggan's first half was Cousins-esque at times.

The way Duggan seems to part the seas with a little stationary shimmy in congestion is beautiful to watch. He has the opposition players spreading to all the wrong places creating space for himself to spot up a target with no pressure . Love this kid's poise, some of the older brigade could learn a lot from Duggan's game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Priddis missed a game through injury in round 4, and has then played two poor ones in a row, I think he's hampered a little bit at the moment. While he doesn't charge through stoppages he usually has the body strength to move around tacklers and release the ball, but that's been missing entirely in the last two weeks.

Did You watch the GF? He was head and shoulders above any eagles that day and the only fighter. He is an outside player and they all do their best work on the outside. He is one of or few mids thats consistent in big games. He has been hampered by an injury for the last for weeks. In the end todays game was below his best but wasn't even that bad.

There is lot of dean kemp in gaff .....he was ok

Err he was bloody awesome

Masten has the least ability I've ever seen to release a ball when tackled. Got called HTB probably three times and half a dozen others he could have released a handball but wasn't able to. It's really bizarre.

I have a feeling with masto (like lol I'm mates with him ...) that he thinks he's quicker than he actually is

Shuey needs to walk up to masto at training and say mate ....me and you are going to have a 30 meter race

When shuey has beaten him by five meters ....shuey needs to say mate you're not effing quick ok now give the bloody handball when you have it

Invite priddis to that race also ...lol ...no I'm not drunk. I'm serious. Someone needs to tell him he's not quick.

I liked the way Hutchings played .......give the ball off quickly to someone who uses it well..

Dont try to be hero ...ditto Duggan

Priddis missed a game through injury in round 4, and has then played two poor ones in a row, I think he's hampered a little bit at the moment. While he doesn't charge through stoppages he usually has the body strength to move around tacklers and release the ball, but that's been missing entirely in the last two weeks.
Priddis is as sore as hell !! Groin problems don't go away over night , he was really trying not to kick yesterday which is a sign he has got problems. My good sources tell me he looked very proppy going to his car last night after the game !!!

Priddis is as sore as hell !! Groin problems don't go away over night , he was really trying not to kick yesterday which is a sign he has got problems. My good sources tell me he looked very proppy going to his car last night after the game !!!

4695795921_3097417e9e_b.jpg

When Yeo gets caught HTB its usually because he is trying to run through someone or break the tackle and burst away from the pack. Often, the ball will get knocked lose or he'll drop it while doing this.

Masten just gets wrapped up and never even looks like breaking the tackle. If he's had prior, that's it; he's gone.
holding the ball is a raffle anyway. Plenty of players should have been pinged and weren't and the ones who were pinged generally were unlucky. Take a leaf out of Sydney and Hawthorn's book...just drop the ball as soon as you get tackled and they call play on.

Flat track tag now in full swing until we beat half decent opposition comfortably on the road.

So I didn't have Priddis in the top 5 players for either round 3 or round 5.
Not sure why you can be so emphatic that he was our best player.
Particularly last week when he was pretty horrible.

I took the best players from the AFL website.

Agreed. It's a bit surprising that a few people on here seem to ignore the the significance of players struggling a bit coming back from injury. For example Masten, Priddis and Jetta. Also Hutch a bit and also Wellers. It is the elite level, so even a modest drop in fitness will have a noticeable effect. Maybe it also says something about the coaches lack of confidence in the guys playing for East Perth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back