Review Round 6 Review/rant Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed, but very proud of the effort. I'm not one of those supporters that claps players off after beltings or anything like that, but tonight we had a real crack and win, lose or draw, that's all I want.

Thrilled with Griffen, Lake, Hargrave, Wood, Dahlhaus, Austin and pumped to see a combination of fast ball movement and contested footy. By far and away our best performance of the year and should be a watershed. That's the type of effort we want for the rest of the season.

Yes, turnovers killed us, but I haven't enjoyed a game that much in at least a couple of years. Regardless of how long it takes, when it all comes together again, it's going to be bloody satisfying.

Don't listen to Lloyd, McClure, King and the critics, just enjoy the ride and watching things slowly click.

That's about the right of it from where I sit. Enjoyed the game, hated the result.

Player Reviews

Murphy - aside from the error in the last quarter he was outstanding and one of our best. His composure in the back line is just sublime. I thought he was quiet and had less influence than usual. A run up forward might have been tried to increase his impact.

Wallis - thought he was very good in the little time he had. Agree

Cross - as usual, very gutsy and had a lot of it. A good game
Agree[/B

Boyd - very good game. Disagree - i thought his influence was down on previous weeks

Higgins - I thought he was good but I'd still like to get more from him. He's been better in recent weeks but needs a four quarter effort. Some skill errors and does not influence as much as a player of his experience should. Better than previous efforts

Veszpremi - very good, I like him. Probably his best game for the club so far.Some hospital handpasses were poor. should retain his place.

Wood - certainly had a very good game and need to. Shame about his injury. Well done though Agree

Sherman - as I said, what he did in the last quarter is simply unacceptable. Did not get as many possessions as i would like. Did not run enough

Gia - couple of good set shot goals but no real impact our best forward, just outnumbered

Griffen - outstanding, clearly our best, he is just a star
agree

Cooney - not overly impressive. Ok last quarter though. Needs to be managed, looked tired and should consider as a sub soon or a rest

Jones - needs some support. He is a great contested mark but Jesus Mary and Joseph, he needs to learn to kick. Our best forward option but is not progressing. Collingwoods Reid would have about the same number of games, is a defender but had more impact forward. I am not sure our player development program is as good as other clubs. Hope he gets good coaching and is played each week

Libba - terrific game I thought. Tough in close and used it very well. Agree

Addison - I feel bad criticising Addison because he's very committed, courageous and gutsy but his disposal is just not up to it. Had a reasonable game but that error in the last quarter basically sums up his career.Gives his all but his limitations are obvious. May have the defensive focus the coach loves

Roughead - has had a very good year am continued tonight. I thought he was quiet for the number of games he has played and gave nothingup forward

Hargrave - a welcome return to form. Well played. Agree but he just has to hit players on the chest.

Minson - would expect him to dominate against Wood and did. Agree. took a big mark late in the game not sure why he does not do that more. We lost impact when he was out of ruck

Lake - did a good job on an extremely difficult opponent. Not quite back to his 2009-10 form but he is doin ok. Agree best game for a while

Dahlhaus - fairly quiet, not one of his better games. Hopefully he is back to form against Norf. Yes we miised his run tonoght but has more than enough credits in the bank

Picken - for the most part I thought he did well on Swan, it's almost impossible to completely tag him out of the whole game. We needed more possessions from him but did ok on a very good opponent

Austin - did a couple of ok things but looks like he lacks confidence and I don't think we have a lot of confidence in him when he has the ball. Rabbit in headlights.
Disappointing

My comments above. Also I thought DJ confirmed my view that he just does not get enough of the ball. He does give forward pressure and pace but just does not get enough of the ball for mine. I think Smith is the better option and should be played.

Also I got sick of the number of times Collingwood players were able to reach over the top of Dahlhaus and DJ to knock the ball away. With these two plus JJ, Tutt, Greenwood and Hooper we must have the most under 179 cm players on an AFL list. Unless they bring something exceptional to the table (Dahlhaus) the game seems to be going the way of taller mids.

Dahl needs to convert more of his work onto the scoreboard. I know he is up the field more than last season however he is falling into the trap of giving it up instead of having a shot. Much like what Sherman did wrong.

Just have a ping.

Minson should have won his position and did, he is having a very good year. We are so much more effective in the middle when he is rucking. Cross was good again last night, disposal was excellent. Boyd was a bit quiet but that smother in the last was brilliant. All in all I think we seen some signs in a lot of our younger players last night, which should give us some hope. The endeavour bar has been set now and hopefully some belief that we can mix it with a good side.
On a side note why don't the umpires just throw the ball up when they can't bounce, just a momentum killer.

Mostly positive signs last night, but for professional footballers, our skill level is quite deplorable.

I think its time to give Liam Jones a run in the backline - everyone keeps saying that he is double teamed up forward and needs help, which is true, but I feel he doesn't run to the right spots, is overpowered by his opposition defender and he is not holding onto his marks, which is his greatest strength.

Everyone seems to think he is our great forward hope, and maybe he is, but he doesn't seem like a natural forward to me. He played a lot of his juniors as a defender, and I think it would be a good learning curve for him to follow around a CHF for the opposition, to learn where to run and the sort of tank you need to succeed as a power forward. It seems a good opportunity too while Tom Williams is out, and given that we have Panos and Hill in the twos, it might be time to give them a go, as they appear more natural forwards.

Really impressive I thought. Fatigue cost us late in the game with some skill errors and they started to get on top with contested possession.

The majority of Collingwood goals came from our skill errors and not guarding the defensive side of the stoppages (three times).

Player Ratings

Murph - A couple of skill errors late. Heard a stat after the game that he averages 400 metres gained but was under 200. Still thought he was one of our best. 6/10

Mitch - Came on late and really worked hard at the stoppages. Got a number of crucial clearances and has probably done well enough to ditch the green vest next week. 5/10

Crossy - Real;ly impressive I thought. Does the hard things, strong in the air and in the past couple of weeks has worked with a disposal efficiency in the 90's. Seems to be playing a wing/half back type role rather than in at the centre bounce. 6/10

Boydy - Not as dominant as we have come to expect and a couple of costly turnovers. Still would have been in out top six. 7/10.

Missy - I thought he slowly played into a little bit of form. Small steps for a bloke who is obviously down on confidence. I really think he can turn it around and a couple of times he showed glimpses of what we know he is capable of. Did see in the second term he let Swan pass him fifty metres off the ball and looked around and decided not to chase. Peopel are calling for him to be dropped but I think he is slowly turning things around. 4/10

Vez - Pretty happy with his work down back. Appears to have gained some confidence and is now happy to hang on to the footy and seek better options rather than blazing away. Uses the footy well. 6/10

Wood - Faith was shown in him by macca and he did not let him down. Took the game on and was fantastic in the air. Use of the footy was heaps better than in previous weeks. Absolute travesty that he did the string which i am led to believe is not as bad as what was first expected. 7/10

Sherman - Thought he was good. Ran hard and forward pressure was fantastic. A few posters have canned his game a bot and his decision to square the ball up, nothing wrong with what he did, had Higgins have slotted it different story. Good to have him back in the side 6/10

Gia - still struggling a bit with the hip but is such a smart player with his body use and if he can continue to slot three / four golas a wekk it is a win. Also helped in nulifying O'Brien and maxwell and made them accountable. 5/10

Griff - Great game. Really is having a fantastic year and taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Just looked so clean in traffic and so penetrating with his disposal. 9/10.

Coons - Just couldnt work into the game. Played his role okay when forward in tems of keeping O'brien unde wraps. Couple of nice stoppage clearances. relatively quiet night. Peopel are suggesting he looked sore I disagree he looked okay just had a quiet night. 4/10

Jonesy - Again posters pretty negative. I thought he competed well in the air at times going up against two and three defenders. Forward pressure was good just didnt have the support. I would persist, the kicking will improve with confidence and time. 4/10

Liberatore - Great composure and won a great deal of the contested footy, ball use was good and a great learning experience for him running with Pendlebury. I thought along with Griff was one of our best. 8/10

Addison - Turned it over a couple of times but working well in a defensive group that has been completeyly routed due to injury. Cant question his hardness and courage and that is why he is in the side. Posters are calling for his head but he was not the only one to run over the footy. 5/10

Rough - Not a bad game. Good in the ruck and is starting to really push back hard and get in the right spots. Been super happy with his development this year. 4/10

Shaggy - Back to old school shaggy, competed really well against bigger bodies and a heap has been asked of him due to our injuries and he has delivered. His laconic style often has people asking questions but I thought he was fantastic and disposal was better than in the past couple of weeks. When we get a couple of players back will be freed to play a more attacking role. 8/10

Minson - Having a good year. Would have liked to see him spend a bit more time forward. Good in the ruck but did not dominate Wood as he did last year. 5/10

Djitty - Quiet night probably should have got a free late in the game. Confidence looks to be on the up just couldnt work into the game. We are a better side with him up there. Forward pressure and chasing was good. 4/10

Lake - is he back to All -Australian form? Great judge of the footy in the year and gave Cloke bath. Didnt have any Brain Freeze mements either which is a bonus. Kicked the best goal of the night. 8/10

Dahl - Worked hard but it appears the Pies invested soe time in trying to shut him down. Effort was there as always but is just wasnt his night. Still amazes me with his ability to make the most out of every time the ball hits the deck. At times the delivery to him in the forward line was shocking. 4/10

Picko - Okay on Swan in the first half, then Swan slowly worked into the game. Didnt allow him to get the easy stats however and really ran hard to nulify. Overall I think he only allowed him room on three occassions. Missed a relatively esy set shot early. 5/10

Austin - Competed well in the air but looked lost at times with the ball in dispute. Got better as the game wore on. For a bloke that hasnt played a lot of footy in the past couple of years I think his efforts have been pleasing. 4/10.

Then you obviuosly weren't at the game :confused::confused:
I was at the game, Pies fans need to learn the rules they we clueless last night.

Every time they showed a replay you could see the free was there.

Just on another note - I dont usually have a gripe with opposition fans. People who go to the games have paid for their seat and are absoulutely entitled to their opinions and entitled to support their team.

Some of the language and absolute rubbish displayed last night was disgusting.

Yes we got a good run with the umpires in the first term but if you look at the replay as I have done twice, most if not all of the frees were there and caused mainly by undisciplined acts.

And please for god sake every time an opposition player is tackled it does not constitute holding the ball.....

The whole arrogance in the lead up and then inability to give credit to a team who you thought you'd beat by 80 or more points was really disppointing.

I was at the game, Pies fans need to learn the rules they we clueless last night.

Every time they showed a replay you could see the free was there.
Did you include the keefe playing in front in the goal square, getting mauled from behind, and free to the dogs guy. Comical. Or the diving act heroics from giansircusa that gifted you 3 goals. I might have one eye but some people have none.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Granted mate, we had a favourable night with the umps. It does not make up for all the time we've been raped in the past against you guys!

Did you include the keefe playing in front in the goal square, getting mauled from behind, and free to the dogs guy. Comical. Or the diving act heroics from giansircusa that gifted you 3 goals. I might have one eye but some people have none.

There are mistakes in every game, some are harder to take than others. I agree we got the better of the umpiring last night, but there are games where we have been on the losing end of it. That's footy, I guess.

What the guys here are saying is that a lot of Collingwood supporters (not all) scream for frees the minute their players simply lose a contest. Abuse the umps for obvious frees to the other side. Abuse opposition players for doing what they applaud their own players for. Seem to think all frees the other way are unfair.

My feeling is that many Pies supporters simply want their team to win (nothing wrong with that) and anything that gets in the way of that is unfair/biased/wrong/vindictive. Rules and correct umpiring decisions included.

As i said have another look, clueless :eek: The amount of times Pies fans call ball is a joke, goes to show they really don't know the rules

Diving, open the other eye mate, not his fault that O'Brien is the worst 1 on 1 defender in league and completely panics when the ball comes in high and he gives away frees cause he doesn't know what to do. Worst all australian player ever, yes even worse than Cam Mooney.

Diving, open the other eye mate, not his fault that O'Brien is the worst 1 on 1 defender in league and completely panics when the ball comes in high and he gives away frees cause he doesn't know what to do. Worst all australian player ever, yes even worse than Cam Mooney.

I do agree with you there mate on Cam Mooney. One of the most overrated players of the last 20 years. I had a go at him on the cats big footy page the other week when they played Hawthorn. I got murdered. I can't believe that Cats supporters actually rate that spud. I went on how he cost them the grand final in 08 and couldn't kick to save himself.

I do agree with you there mate on Cam Mooney. One of the most overrated players of the last 20 years. I had a go at him on the cats big footy page the other week when they played Hawthorn. I got murdered. I can't believe that Cats supporters actually rate that spud. I went on how he cost them the grand final in 08 and couldn't kick to save himself.

Wow, no red or yellow card from the Cats, they are a sensitive bunch over there:rolleyes:

Yeah as I found out they were foul. I never rated Cam Mooney, absolute liability. Was carried in that side for sure. Tom Hawkins is a better player already in my opinion!

My thoughts on the fringe players:
Austin wasn't terrible and we could do a lot worse. I'm happy he's on the list for the year, should be a decent backup until Williams and Morris get back. Despite his shakiness with the ball he has already passed Mulligan.
Vespa was good, happy with his progress after a quite disappointing game last week. I think he should hold his spot when Howard gets back. Howard, Vez and Wood could make an attacking half back line.
I disagree with the majority consensus around Hargrave. He's in my dream team so I applauded the cheap stats he got, but he doesn't use the ball well enough any more to play as the rebounding defender. He had some good moments but I am not convinced when he has the ball in hand. Felt he lost some crucial contests too. Remember the days when he was our second tall defender? I don't trust him as our third tall defender now and would prefer he takes a mid or small forward from here in. In our best defense, Lake and Williams take the key forwards and Morris or Hargrave take the third tall depending on match ups.
Higgins offered more than usual and ran harder. Sherman isn't going to get any better and should be replaced by Tutt or JJ by the end of the year. At least he's quick.
Roughead had a pretty decent first half. Jones was disappointing, he seems to start games badly and slowly work his way in. Starting him at CHB may allow him to get some touches early but I worry that his disposal is so bad that the only position on the ground that makes sense will be CHF.
Wallis, Liberatore were solid again. With Cross hitting form I see it being difficult for Clay Smith to get back into the side much this year.

Overall, good signs and great pressure all night. Just ran of of legs and run in the last quarter and some crucial errors hurt us badly.

Sherman isn't going to get any better and should be replaced by Tutt or JJ by the end of the year. At least he's quick.

Sherman has been in the better players in the games he's played so far this year, Tutt has played 3 games so he's still very much unproven and JJ hasn't played at all

Sherman has been in the better players in the games he's played so far this year, Tutt has played 3 games so he's still very much unproven and JJ hasn't played at all

Pretty much sums it up.

It's crazy how people claim that JJ of all people will just be a straight walk in having never played a game in the AFL.

This is why I am glad the team is not picked based on what people on BF say, because if it was it would be Williamstown vs North next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back