AFLW Round 6 v Eagles @ Mineral Resources Park - 2:10 WST

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor Smith will make her AFLW debut and comes into the team alongside Sally Riley and Hannah Dunn.

They have replaced Jasmyn Hewett, Tori Groves-Little and Tayla Thorn.

Charlotte Hammans and Jasmyn Hewett will replace Tayla Thorn and Maddy Roberts as the emergencies for the team.

FB42. Jade Pregelj14. Serene Watson
HB11. Leah Kaslar7. Lauren Ahrens21. Ellie Hampson
C 19. Tiarna Ernst17. Jamie Stanton1. Paige Parker
HF26. Kate Surman16. Britt Perry 23. Kalinda Howarth
FF 13. Taylor Smith8. Sally Riley
R 2. Lauren Bella24. Hannah Dunn5. Jacqui Yorston
Interchange29. Cheyenne Hammond25. Dee Heslop4. Jordann Hickey
12. Molly Ritson22. Sam Virgo
Emergencies6. Charlotte Hammans20. Jasmyn Hewett

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I thought Thorn has been one of our best players in the games I've seen.

Good to see Taylor Smith, a Gold Coast girl make her debut.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We got one of the two results we needed when the Roos belted Geelong on Friday night. Now we really need Adelaide to beat GWS today and we'll be in a fantastic position to compete for a place in the finals. I think there's a good chance the Crows will get the result we need given the game is being played in Adelaide and superstar Erin Phillips is making her return today.

Presuming everything goes according to plan today, we should be half a win behind third place with the opportunity to jump into third place next week with a home fixture against Adelaide. It's entirely possible we'll go into round 8 against the Demons (last game of the home and away season) knowing a win will get us into finals and a loss will end our season.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We got one of the two results we needed when the Roos belted Geelong on Friday night. Now we really need Adelaide to beat GWS today and we'll be in a fantastic position to compete for a place in the finals. I think there's a good chance the Crows will get the result we need given the game is being played in Adelaide and superstar Erin Phillips is making her return today.

Presuming everything goes according to plan today, we should be half a win behind third place with the opportunity to jump into third place next week with a home fixture against Adelaide. It's entirely possible we'll go into round 8 against the Demons (last game of the home and away season) knowing a win will get us into finals and a loss won't.
I would say forget about other teams. The main problem is that girls looked exhausted. According to Lake having 18, 18, 18, 19 old midfield does not help. Three road trips in a row - even men teams don't have that.

Get more experience into girls in the remaining games and I am quite optimistic about next year. A lot talent on our team.

By the way Lions team seems also hit the wall. Collingwood run over them easily yesterday.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would say forget about other teams. The main problem is that girls looked exhausted. According to Lake having 18, 18, 18, 19 old midfield does not help. Three road trips in a row - even men teams don't have that.

Get more experience into girls in the remaining games and I am quite optimistic about next year. A lot talent on our team.

By the way Lions team seems also hit the wall. Collingwood run over them easily yesterday.
I'm sure our girls are fatigued but we have a very winnable game today and you always want a W when a place in the finals is up for grabs, particularly late in a season. Yes we are young but that doesn't mean finals are impossible for us this season. Do you think our male players would be making excuses relating to fatigue and looking to next year if we were half a win outside the top 8 with 2 rounds to go? The answer is obviously no. You do everything you possibly can to win while finals are still alive!

Let's not forget we, as a club, have never played finals in any senior competitions and what a story it would be if our girls managed to play finals in their very first season! I say focus on the now because tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm sure our girls are fatigued but we have a very winnable game today and you always want a W when a place in the finals is up for grabs, particularly late in a season. Yes we are young but that doesn't mean finals are impossible for us this season. Do you think our male players would be making excuses relating to fatigue and looking to next year if we were half a win outside the top 8 with 2 rounds to go? The answer is obviously no. You do everything you possibly can to win while finals are still alive!

Let's not forget we, as a club, have never played finals in any senior competitions and what a story it would be if our girls managed to play finals in their very first season! I say focus on the now because tomorrow isn't guaranteed.
Nobody is making excuses. Just stating the facts. Of course, you go for win, every team does. There are reasons why we were overrun convincingly by average Cats in the 2nd half. I personally would give opportunity to other girls - we basically have no injuries and played how many, 25 - 26 girls? Especially when some girls looked out of form, spent. I just think that looking too much at other teams results, hoping that this team wins and that team loses is a bit pointless. Better to focus on ourself.

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I just think that looking too much at other teams results, hoping that this team wins and that team loses is a bit pointless. Better to focus on yourself.
We put ourselves in this position. Had we been a bit better against the Lions and/or Giants then we'd be sitting pretty and very likely to play finals but we didn't take our chances when we had them. This is the reality of being a middle of the ladder team. A few results have to go your way to play finals.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
GWS were victorious in the end which means today really is a win or your season is over match.

Let's see what the girls can muster up out west...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How good is Howarth! By far my favorite suns player both men’s and women’s teams...

absolute gun!!
She's now equal second in the league's leading goalkicker award and only one goal behind first! Would love to see Kindy take home that award (and the Rising Star award?) because I think she's played some extremely entertaining footy this season. So exciting to watch whenever she gets near the ball and does more with it than just kicking it through the sticks. She genuinely loves the club too and that's a very endearing quality in my books.

We got the result we needed today to keep our season alive. 4th position now and a solitary win behind Brisbane with a difference of 5.7% (which generally equates to about 10 points). Although virtually none of us can attend the game next week, I'm looking forward to seeing how the girls go against Adelaide at Southport. It's looking more and more likely that we will find ourselves in a sudden death situation in the last round of the season against the Dees where a win will mean finals and a loss ends our season.

Last edited:

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
She's now equal second in the league's leading goalkicker award and only one goal behind first! Would love to see Kindy take home that award (and the Rising Star award?) because I think she's played some extremely entertaining footy this season. So exciting to watch whenever she gets near the ball and does more than just kicking goals. She genuinely loves the club too and that's a very endearing quality in my books.

We got the result we needed today to keep our season alive. 4th position now and a solitary win behind Brisbane with a difference of 5.7% (which generally equates to about 10 points). Although virtually none of us can attend the game next week, I'm looking forward to seeing how the girls go against Adelaide at Southport. It's looking more and more likely that we will find ourselves in a sudden death situation in the last round of the season against the Dees where a win will mean finals and a loss ends our season.

Is it possible to lock the crowd out at Southport or will they relocate the game to Metricon

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Is it possible to lock the crowd out at Southport or will they relocate the game to Metricon
Good question. I assume we'll see a fence around Fankhauser Reserve like we've seen at other AFLW venues this week. Therefore, you could technically still attend the game live; you'd just have to watch it through a fence at a further distance.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
how bloody good is howarth. it's like having a mini bennell/sexton snapping goals out there for us. dunno how the other eligible rising stars are tracking this season but surely she's a good chance at taking it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back