Preview Round 6 v Geelong Cats (Hubtastic at the SCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Outs- Callum Ah Chee, Cam Ellis-Yolmen.

Ins- Dayne Zorko, Jack Payne.

I think we need the Payne train this week with 2 huge keys in the opposition ie. Hawkins(198cm, 103kg) and Ratugolea(197cm, 102kg), IMO they will be a lot harder to handle than the Port forwards with 1 big in Dixon and a couple of skinnier type KPP as back up.

I fully expect there to be only one change though, Zorks for CEY.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Has it been confirmed by the club that we will be flying back in between the Cats and Giants game or are we staying down there? Long break between games.

Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
Has it been confirmed by the club that we will be flying back in between the Cats and Giants game or are we staying down there? Long break between games.

Nupe staying down there because the Lions have to stay in isolation for 14 days as they are playing a Victorian team.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I thought it was implied from both the Zorko and Daly pressers today that a squad of 27 and 20 odd staff were staying in Manly for the duration and prepared to stay longer if a third and fourth game was scheduled down there.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I think these are the 2 outs but don't think you can bring in Matho and leave us a defender short. So I'd go Witherden or Answerth in for Ah Chee.
Quite true and on second thought, I agree with you.

Sounds like Witherden is next in line for that small defender's role, so I'd replace him for Ah Chee and in the event Zorko, doesn't get up, bring in Matheison for CEY.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Nupe staying down there because the Lions have to stay in isolation for 14 days as they are playing a Victorian team.
I know we have to be careful but it sounds like a massive overreaction to me, the Victorian teams players are being tested twice a week and have been in pretty strict isolation from the general community/population of Melbourne (except for Sidebum of course). It seems like our club is embracing the challenge so not a huge issue for me, just a bit strange.

Worried about both Hawkins and Ratugolea. I love Gardiner and I get stick for this, but against any big tall he's terrible. Panics and gives away dumb frees. I wish Adams was available. I'd consider bringing in Payne.

Adams would definitely help, but let's be honest, we are not a team of 1v1 defenders - we have a team defence. As we saw this week, we can restrict talls with the team we have and Ratugolea is hardly a worldbeater.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
It looks like Zorks will be playing, I have a question for any doctors out there, are there any body parts besides the Plantaris and the Appendix that us humans don't really need?

No phallus jokes please.

TheZork

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Adams would definitely help, but let's be honest, we are not a team of 1v1 defenders - we have a team defence. As we saw this week, we can restrict talls with the team we have and Ratugolea is hardly a worldbeater.
Whilst I agree he's usually not great, he was actually was one of their best players last week (Had a McStay level game). They could isolate him and Gardiner at FF.

On the contrary, bringing in Payne slows us down immensely and he doesn't have any experience. I just don't think in the long run we can have Gardiner and Lester as our second talls. They're very undersized.

Even though I want Payne in I doubt they'll do it. The coaches are likely to back in team defence. Hopefully it doesn't come unstuck like Port's did.

TheZork

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It looks like Zorks will be playing, I have a question for any doctors out there, are there any body parts besides the Plantaris and the Appendix that us humans don't really need?

No phallus jokes please.
Yeah there's a muscle called the Palmaris Longus that runs down the anterior side of the forearm and attaches to the palm. Lots of people don't even have them. Completely useless!

Whilst I agree he's usually not great, he was actually was one of their best players last week (Had a McStay level game). They could isolate him and Gardiner at FF.

On the contrary, bringing in Payne slows us down immensely and he doesn't have any experience. I just don't think in the long run we can have Gardiner and Lester as our second talls. They're very undersized.

Even though I want Payne in I doubt they'll do it. The coaches are likely to back in team defence. Hopefully it doesn't come unstuck like Port's did.

I think we all want to see Payne debut, but the reality is he has zero games experience and Dizzy has beaten Ratugolea before - it's a risk:reward equation and I just can't see how bringing Payne in will be better for us than our current setup.

TheZork

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we all want to see Payne debut, but the reality is he has zero games experience and Dizzy has beaten Ratugolea before - it's a risk:reward equation and I just can't see how bringing Payne in will be better for us than our current setup.
Under the circumstances I tend to agree, as Payne has no experience. I just wish he got some, because (assuming he's not half bad), I'd much rather him play over Gardiner on a big tall. We are going to have to pull the trigger eventually.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Outs- Callum Ah Chee, Cam Ellis-Yolmen.

Ins- Dayne Zorko, Jack Payne.

I think we need the Payne train this week with 2 huge keys in the opposition ie. Hawkins(198cm, 103kg) and Ratugolea(197cm, 102kg), IMO they will be a lot harder to handle than the Port forwards with 1 big in Dixon and a couple of skinnier type KPP as back up.

I fully expect there to be only one change though, Zorks for CEY.

I'd do the same despite having no indication that Payne is in any sort of form.

Lions99991

Debutant
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can anyone explain to me why AhChee is still in the side? I get Fagan wanted to give him a chance to settle in, but he struggled in the pre-season practice matches and he hasn't improved at all. They're far better players who deserve the opportunity to step up and they should be given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back