Preview Round 6 v Geelong Cats (Hubtastic at the SCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me why AhChee is still in the side? I get Fagan wanted to give him a chance to settle in, but he struggled in the pre-season practice matches and he hasn't improved at all. They're far better players who deserve the opportunity to step up and they should be given the chance.
The only thing I can think of is for leg speed, both offensively and defensively. It is something we completely lack, I can't think of one other quick player in our defence, maybe Starce? The coaches know we need leg speed and they're trying their best to make it happen, so they're giving him a while. But I agree, he should now go.

Can anyone explain to me why AhChee is still in the side? I get Fagan wanted to give him a chance to settle in, but he struggled in the pre-season practice matches and he hasn't improved at all. They're far better players who deserve the opportunity to step up and they should be given the chance.

I thought he looked a lot better against the Eagles. Last week not so much. He has pace, which we lack in defence and can get himself into good positions to transition to attack from defence but really only just seen glimpses of that at this stage. Can seemingly get lost, makes some poor decisions and disposal has left a bit to be desired. Seems like the coaching group sees upside and are prepared to be patient as he develops as a defender at AFL level. Won't be granted that opportunity forever though.

I'm sticking with Ah Chee .He's got what we need if if he can find his best form . I don't think he was too bad last week . The clanger stood out. Line ball decision.

When the team is going well supporters zero in on the one or two they think are going bad.

If Zorks can't play I'd go Ely without any idea of how he's going . You'd think it's either him or Matho for CEY.

It looks like Zorks will be playing, I have a question for any doctors out there, are there any body parts besides the Plantaris and the Appendix that us humans don't really need?

No phallus jokes please.

Was told two years ago when I got mine out that the appendix is a storage spot for good gut bacteria so if you get crook your gut flora restores quickly. Not necessary, but for any future gut upsets I should use probiotics.

Turns out removing your appendix doesn’t cure cancer. Fancy that.

The only thing I can think of is for leg speed, both offensively and defensively. It is something we completely lack, I can't think of one other quick player in our defence, maybe Starce? The coaches know we need leg speed and they're trying their best to make it happen, so they're giving him a while. But I agree, he should now go.

I thought he looked a lot better against the Eagles. Last week not so much. He has pace, which we lack in defence and can get himself into good positions to transition to attack from defence but really only just seen glimpses of that at this stage. Can seemingly get lost, makes some poor decisions and disposal has left a bit to be desired. Seems like the coaching group sees upside and are prepared to be patient as he develops as a defender at AFL level. Won't be granted that opportunity forever though.

Agree with both these. Initially I was thinking, surely we can bring someone in that can do a better job than Ah Chee, I'm generally glass half full on all our guys, but last week I thought he was super average.

But the more I've thought about it, I can see why we want him in the team.

I'm going to go out on a limb here & assume that Geelong will want to slow the game down, stifle our ball movement, and strangle the game.

Last week watching the game, Hinkley had no real answers to how easily we could transition the ball from our back half. We have elite kicks in Rich, Birchall & Clug now, and when you couple that with leg speed overlap run we must be very hard to contain. Not sure on Answerth vs Ah Chee, but Witherden certainly doesn't offer that.

I know we have to be careful but it sounds like a massive overreaction to me, the Victorian teams players are being tested twice a week and have been in pretty strict isolation from the general community/population of Melbourne (except for Sidebum of course). It seems like our club is embracing the challenge so not a huge issue for me, just a bit strange.

Its a government requirement. Any team that plays a Victorian team, or even plays a team outside of Victoria who has played a Victorian team in the last 2 weeks have to isolate outside of QLD, it does seem a bit of an overreaction but nothing can be done unfortunately.

Having said that after the GWS game we are coming home and will probably stay at home and just travel for games then, but that's only a guess.

Hard to drop anyone on that win
So In Zorko Out CEY

Our team defense is holding up well without getting many possessions apart from Rich.
Excluding Rich our other 6 defenders averaged only 7.8 disposals for the game

Lions V Port game only

PlayerDisposalsMarksTacklesTotal Disposals/Marks/Tackles
Rich201223
Birchall123217
Gardiner115218
Lester92011
Andrews63211
Starcevich53412
Ah Chee4239

1 % for all Lions Players
Andrews way in front with 15
Birchall, J.Berry with 3
Ah Chee, Robinson, Cameron, McCluggage, McInerney, T Berry with 2
Seven players on 1
Six on 0

What imoact do you guys think the size of the SCG will have on the game?

I think it probably favours us as it's more similar to that of the Gabba I believe. We've been much more direct down the corridor this year and that should help us offensively. I also don't think it's as narrow as Kardinia Park (?) so from Geelong's perspective that stretches their defence out.

IDK enough about Geelongs style to comment but at least in terms of dimensions I'd think our backline will have to make less positioning adjustments with just the factor that the ground is smaller but the same shape?

I think it probably favours us as it's more similar to that of the Gabba I believe. We've been much more direct down the corridor this year and that should help us offensively. I also don't think it's as narrow as Kardinia Park (?) so from Geelong's perspective that stretches their defence out.

IDK enough about Geelongs style to comment but at least in terms of dimensions I'd think our backline will have to make less positioning adjustments with just the factor that the ground is smaller but the same shape?
Cats fans seem to think it will suit them more, but then it may be just that they are grateful it isn't at the Gabba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest change will be the Cats NOT playing us at spaghetti park, as we are often relegated to. Also they will have to deal with two true wingers (in the D.Hawkins tradition); on a ground which is short, but fat. Robbo and Macca come of the hour, etc etc. Hope beast mode gets a call up, if not Eli

Have teams been designated as home team/away team when playing on neutral grounds? Who gets the home team rooms? Who wears their home kits? 😮

I don't know where best to ask this question but I would like to know the results our players got at their rookie camp, before they were drafted, especially kicking for goal. The number of shots they have is ridiculously small but I wonder how these numbers predict how guys will go in their careers.

We all complain about our kicking for goal generally and a few players especially.

I wonder if the players get tested for goal kicking during a season? I wonder if a contract might demand a certain proficiency under test conditions?

I don't know where best to ask this question but I would like to know the results our players got at their rookie camp, before they were drafted, especially kicking for goal. The number of shots they have is ridiculously small but I wonder how these numbers predict how guys will go in their careers.

We all complain about our kicking for goal generally and a few players especially.

I wonder if the players get tested for goal kicking during a season? I wonder if a contract might demand a certain proficiency under test conditions?
I watched McStay in the warm up a couple of years ago and he was nailing them from everywhere , any distance ,any angle.

Played an hour later and couldn't hit the side of a barn.

So he can actually do it of he believes in himself. And I think that goes for most players who reach AFL level.

The other thing Phil is that we constantly complain about the usual culprits and their poor accuracy but if you pretend you're barracking for someone else you'll see similar misses every week in all teams.

A contract to demand a certain proficiency isn't worth the paper it's written on because I think most players are reasonably proficient when they're not in a match .

Your adrenalin is next level under AFL match conditions , some people thrive on that pressure, others struggle.

I watched McStay in the warm up a couple of years ago and he was nailing them from everywhere , any distance ,any angle.

So he can actually do it of he believes in himself. And I think that goes for most players who reach AFL level.
I saw something similar myself

In the draft camp there is a kicking test, don't know how long its has been there. Balandene was the top in this test in his draft year and for a big man is still considered elite in his kicking which includes field kicking. Transferred to goal kicking I'm not sure it's really transferable once they play top level but you cloud find those records from the draft tests each year.

Likewise with Hippy before the Port game. He was kicking for goal and nailing every one. In fact, his first set shot was from exactly where he had been practising and he sprayed it.

Game day set shot warm ups mean absolutely nothing re how it transfers to the game itself, set shots are all above the head.

Training ground practice is a different matter as you are doing repetitive drills working on your technique and routine, although that doesn't seem to transfer to consistent confidence on game day for Dan and Eric, there was one close set shot on Saturday night where Dan leaned way back and stabbed at the ball rather than kick through it, the shame is he is such a beautiful open play kick.

SCG is similar to the Gabba, but also fairly similar to the MCG that Geelong plays at very often so I'm not sure it really favours one team over the other. As Saucery says, the main change is the removal of a disadvantage of playing on the individualistic and unfamiliar dimensions of GHMBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back