Preview Round 6 v Geelong Cats (Hubtastic at the SCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skinner posted on his insta implying his dog didn't want him to leave which might mean he's travelling down to Sydney today
Given the Cats seem to be running with a fairly inexperienced ruck combo at the moment.
I am wondering if it would be worth giving Oscar a rest this week and bring in Skinner as a third tall/ruck chop out for Stef?

Given the Cats seem to be running with a fairly inexperienced ruck combo at the moment.
I am wondering if it would be worth giving Oscar a rest this week and bring in Skinner as a third tall/ruck chop out for Stef?

I think Stef would have to build up his match fitness first. Probably only rucked 50-60% of the Port game.

I'd be pretty certain that Skinner is going down as tall backup, and won't play barring injury. As we won't be able to bring anyone from QLD (due to the quarantine) we have to bring enough cover in the squad of 27 for injuries to any/all positions.

Only change Zorko for CEY

Finally got to watch the Port replay last night.
Paid particular attention to a few players one being Ah Chee
Ah Chee was nowhere near as bad as people are saying
He is part of a team defense strategy and did his job.
Appeared to mostly but not always take Rozee who kicked one goal
Rozee kicked 5 goals 2 against us in round 3, 2019 so can be a damaging young player

In the preseason game against Port Ah Chee showed some dash and great disposal but his defense needed to be way better.

I imagine his defense and team defense is what the coaches have been working on as it is much better now.
He got caught holding the ball once which resulted in a point to Port. Crowd wanted "in the back" of course but it was holding the ball.
He butchered the ball when under no pressure trying to kick 10 meters to another Lions player and missed by 10 meters and went out of bounds. Should have just hand balled.
He appeared to be following instructions by senior players to get his team defensive correct.
Apart from Rich & Birchall he had similar figures to the other 5 defenders

With under 10 seconds till half time it was Ah Chee at bottom of pack hit the ball towards goal, J Berry quickly threw it on to his boot, McCarthy taped the ball over players to himself goal to Lions siren sounded. Half time score Lions 8 g 6 b to Port 2 g 7 b. For me the game was just about over at that point

The club did bring him into the side for some run off half back but the way we are playing that part of our game is not essential at present.

Finally it would not surprise me if Rich gets a hard tag this week. If this happens he will handle the tag much better off half back than he did in the midfield.
I kind of hope he does get a hard tag so we can see how the others step up

I thought most teams were travelling with almost a full list. First team to play firsts, backups playing reserves matches against the other teams backups.
Unlike most other teams we can pull our guys down from Brisbane without quarantine to replace them. I assume our reserves will be up playing against GC again, or one of the hub teams now.

Unlike most other teams we can pull our guys down from Brisbane without quarantine to replace them. I assume our reserves will be up playing against GC again, or one of the hub teams now.
Yep, practice games against West Coast and Gold Coast according to Fages.

Only change Zorko for CEY

Finally got to watch the Port replay last night.
Paid particular attention to a few players one being Ah Chee
Ah Chee was nowhere near as bad as people are saying
He is part of a team defense strategy and did his job.
Appeared to mostly but not always take Rozee who kicked one goal
Rozee kicked 5 goals 2 against us in round 3, 2019 so can be a damaging young player

In the preseason game against Port Ah Chee showed some dash and great disposal but his defense needed to be way better.

I imagine his defense and team defense is what the coaches have been working on as it is much better now.
He got caught holding the ball once which resulted in a point to Port. Crowd wanted "in the back" of course but it was holding the ball.
He butchered the ball when under no pressure trying to kick 10 meters to another Lions player and missed by 10 meters and went out of bounds. Should have just hand balled.
He appeared to be following instructions by senior players to get his team defensive correct.
Apart from Rich & Birchall he had similar figures to the other 5 defenders

With under 10 seconds till half time it was Ah Chee at bottom of pack hit the ball towards goal, J Berry quickly threw it on to his boot, McCarthy taped the ball over players to himself goal to Lions siren sounded. Half time score Lions 8 g 6 b to Port 2 g 7 b. For me the game was just about over at that point

The club did bring him into the side for some run off half back but the way we are playing that part of our game is not essential at present.

Finally it would not surprise me if Rich gets a hard tag this week. If this happens he will handle the tag much better off half back than he did in the midfield.
I kind of hope he does get a hard tag so we can see how the others step up
I can only agree . The one clanger stood out and because of that everyone gives him the whipping boy status. I thought played ok , I think he should be playing a bit better but I just think he adds something to the mix once he gains some confidence and cleans up his disposal a little.

He is getting to the bottom of packs often enough and people miss that. The htb was unlucky and it was only once. How poor he was is being overrated. He probably did his job on Saturday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the mix: Who's pushing for selection in round six?
Brisbane:

Captain Dayne Zorko has recovered quicker than expected and will only need to pass training to prove he's over a calf strain. He would appear the likely replacement for Cam Ellis-Yolmen. If Zorko doesn't get up, Ely Smith could be considered for a debut. Given the five-day break, there will be several sore bodies, but Fagan has proven he's willing to back in a winning line-up. Callum Ah Chee was quiet but should be retained, while Ryan Lester and Tom Berry did enough. Alex Witherden continues to push for a recall and Mitch Hinge, Allen Christensen, Keidean Coleman and Rhys Mathieson aren't far away.

Verdict: Zorko in for Ellis-Yolmen.

Geelong:

The Cats have admitted they should've been more proactive in resting Gary Ablett last year. So, off a five-day break following game 350, will this be the week? Lachie Fogarty is a like-for-like, while Sam Simpson, James Parsons and Brad Close are in the frame given Tom Atkins will miss again. Harry Taylor returned last week after being managed and, while he may not be a lock anymore, will be needed to contend with Lions talls Oscar McInerney, Eric Hipwood and Dan McStay. The Cats are desperate to get Lachie Henderson into the side but who he replaces will be a tough call as long as Jed Bews (ankle) proves his fitness. Jordan Clark continues to bang down the door, but spots are at a premium. With a number of players sore, Jack Steven might be a consideration for a rest after a limited preparation.

Verdict: Fogarty in for Ablett.

Thanks for balancing my very cynical view MM. I understand the theory - bring in a quick moving, penetrating kick to the backline. However Ah Chee isn’t improving and looks out of step with the rest of the team. His stats are very ordinary. I think it is at the point that further time in the first may further damage his confidence. Over the years I have observed that players transferring to a new club take different times to adjust to a new environment and new role. Ah Chee may prove to be a success in the longer term. I know the scratch match situation is not ideal but I believe time out of the side is best for the player and the Team.
Completely agree, Ah Chee looks out of his depth at this level (lets be honest Joshy Walker would be doing a much better job..) If he gets another game this week then a few players waiting in the wings have the right to be peeved off..
Even with the team playing well, the club needs to be giving as many players on the list an opportunity where possible. Otherwise we will be loosing players next season who will prove their worth at other clubs..

Senior coach Chris Fagan has stuck to a winning formula with the return of Dayne Zorko the only change to the side named to take on Geelong in Sydney on Thursday night.

The skipper returns from a calf strain and will replace strong-bodied midfielder Cam Ellis Yolmen who has a minor calf injury.

Zorko missed the 37- point win over leader leaders Port Adelaide at the Gabba last Saturday night but convinced the Club’s medical staff he was ready to resume playing after training strongly over the weekend.

Sam Skinner, Noah Answerth, Alex Witherden and Rhys Mathieson are the emergencies.

Pretty disappointed Ah Chee again retains his place despite three below average games on the trot.

Obviously the 27 man squad is the selected 22 and 4 emergencies plus Dev Robertson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back