Round 6 v Hawthorn @ MCG (Our home game)

Remove this Banner Ad

thomas_m18

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
Melbourne, Aus
AFL Club
St Kilda
Should be a cracker against the Hawks next week. Really looking forward to this clash, and Sydney, West Coast and Geelong (although the first two are in better form than we are) have shown that the Hawks are definitely beatable. Our home game, one of two we get at the 'G IIRC, so hope that all Melbourne Sainters can get down and cheer our boys on.

As for changes, it's tough this week, mainly because of the Wilkes/Kosi debate, but early thinking for me is that we will make a few changes.

For mine, I'd go:

IN: Koschitzke
OUT: Wilkes​

Very contentious issue this week, and I almost feel that Kosi should be left out (it is his fault he's out to begin with), but the selectors will want to go for Kosi over Wilkes as the FF, and justifiably so. Wilkes may play, but I can't see it being at the expense of Koschitzke, who has been in good form this season IMO. We could try Kosi+Wilkes+Stanley+Riewoldt, as Josh Gibson injured himself in the game today, and Birchall and Gilham under clouds if they do play, but I'm not sure a change in structure is necessary, especially going to four talls. I really don't wanna see Wilkes dropped, but I really can't see Kosi not there either.

IN: Siposs
OUT: Cripps​

Anyone remember Sippa carving it up in the first quarter of the Hawks/Saints game last year? Great sight to behold, and from what I saw in the 2's on Saturday (admittedly, I don't watch the 2's much), he looks good to replace Cripps, who probably needs to go back like Newnes now. Played all around the ground, which makes me hope that he can find the footy more than 8 times if he plays. Great kick, which is always handy. Our forward line would be a real test if Siposs floats down there too

Siposs / Riewoldt / Stanley
Milera / Koschitzke / Milne​

or something like that...

Polo stays as the sub. Not an impact player, but he did play well on Saturday night, and his type could be handy against the Hawks. Can play several positions too, meaning that he can cover an injury. Doesn't deserve to be dropped, for sure.

If Gwilt is ready, he comes in, probably at the expense of Blake, unless we feel we need the height. If McCauley plays for the Hawks, they'll have Hale, Roughy and Buddy up there (possibly Gunston, but unlikely), but if he doesn't one of Hale or Roughy will be busy in the ruck most of the time. Doesn't make it any easier taking them on I guess. Wouldn't think Gwilty was 100% yet, but you never know...

Very pumped for this game, and I'll be tipping us this week (I tip us every week). No reason at all that this won't be a close match, and I know our fixtures haven't been as tough, but we look to be in better touch. Saints by 17 (biased, but tried to be reasonable)

I guess the selection questions are also based around.

Will Joey be reported?

Will Blake pull up sore as that knee looked nasty even though he came back on?

I hope the Hawks persist with Buddy in the midfield. He appears to know how to find it well enough, but seems to lack the thinking on the go once he bursts out of the pack? Overall, I also think it's better for us if he stays out of their attacking 50.

When he does push forward, playing in front of him seems to be the key, and I'd actually back Simpkin and his judgement first up? He has shown this year he has the smarts to read the play, it would be worth persisting with him first up rather than dedicating someone else left field to him?

Roughead is the form forward for them, he has come back in ripper shape. Slimmed down, and running around like the athletic one of the two. Then again, if Gibson doesn't come up, he may have to play back?

Sewell/Mitchell/Lewis were very quiet for them, I'd expect them to want to redeem themselves. Think the Melbourne game was pretty good preperation though.

Would Polo be a good matchup for Hodge?

Whilst I'd love to see us win, I can't see us pulling it off against the Hawks; let alone by 3 goals.

I can. It's all in the mind.

We are about to play a team that are hungry for a win. They also have an ex-Premier President (A Beret wearing Jeff Kennett on ANZAC day) of their club whose administration whilst in Government personally ruined the Public Transport System of Victoria by selling it off to a bunch of private companies in order to make it more efficient in order to break a State monopoly. Isn't there one private monopoly called 'Hillside' trains that runs everything now? Which of course can make you late for work or late for the game on a regular basis? Because they are just so much more efficient, reliable and safer to travel with to the footy? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA What a joke!

[youtube]R2RzO-DY72Q[/youtube]

I hope Saints smash the Hawks this week.

DO SOMETHING SAINTS! SMASH THESE PRETENDERS!

I dont think Polo could keep with Hodge, he's a very experienced elite midfielder. Kosi in for Cripps, Wilkes would be very stiff imo to be dropped after playing a great first game and i think will start as sub as he's versatile as a backman too by all reports.

Looking forward to seeing Lenny's highlights package at the end of his career on Youtube, saints MVP this season.

I'd go with the same team as last week but bring in Ledger as the sub for Polo. Polo isn't the sort of impact player you want coming in as the sub. Never thought I'd say this but with Milera, Cripps, Gram, Ledger, Steven we might be able to beat them with pace because apart from Rioli they're a pretty one paced team in the midfield. Just need to make sure we pressure their good kicks.

Surely Gwilt wouldn't be far off a recall? If he's ready the other change I would make is Gwilt for Blake.

I dont think Polo could keep with Hodge, he's a very experienced elite midfielder. Kosi in for Cripps, Wilkes would be very stiff imo to be dropped after playing a great first game and i think will start as sub as he's versatile as a backman too by all reports.

Looking forward to seeing Lenny's highlights package at the end of his career on Youtube, saints MVP this season.

I don’t mind that move at all actually.
With either Kosi and Wilkes/Stanley playing within the forward 50, it could release Roo and Stanley/Wilkes to play further up the ground, pulling their opposite numbers into unfamiliar territory.
Having 2 tall targets presenting around the wing/HFF, and another 2 presenting in the F50 could really expose Hawthorn...
If nothing more, it gives the team 2 tall marking targets when transitioning the ball out of the D50/HBF.

I do worry about our foot skills though. If we make the same mistakes by foot as we did against Freo, Hawthorn will carve us up.

Also, big Ben should more vocal in the D50 when going up for a mark.
There were a couple of times last week where both Ben and other teammates went for a mark, yet they spoiled each other.
Fellas, Ben is 2m tall, and has a fantastic set of hands. Let the boy mark the ball, and the other blokes provide an effective screen/dummy mark (ie keep the opposition players from making a valid marking attempt while at the same time appearing to make an attempt yourself).

Out Polo and Wilkes.

In Ledger (sub) and Kosi.

Not rocket science. We can beat these over-hyped spuds. They play a good game against an out of form Collingwood in the prelim last year and they become premiership favourites. Please.

Not rocket science. We can beat these over-hyped spuds. They play a good game against an out of form Collingwood in the prelim last year and they become premiership favourites. Please.

Really ? sure we have been no where near our best but that is a load of s**t. We could easily be 4 and 1 now with the toughest opening 5 round draw in the AFL.

Onto the game, Saints by 18, Hawks to lead at 3 quarter time.

Sorry Sir Robert, but I don’t share your sentiments.

Hawthorn are a very very good outfit; if we play like we did against Freo, the hawks will tear us a new hole.

The hawks don’t lose 3 matches in a row too often. You can expect a large improvement on their games yesterday.
If anything, we should be worried if we’ll have the legs to go with the hawks in the 3rd and 4th quarter.
While the match against the dees was exactly the type of match we needed, playing in the wet will take it out of us.

For me, the changes are simpler.

In: Kosi
Out: Stanley

Don't get me wrong, Stanley's starting to improve and has averaged 1.2 goals a game. But Kosi's been kicking multiples and averages 2.3. Who in their right mind won't play a 2 goal avg goalkicker? Kosi would kick atleast 50 at this rate.

Wilkes kicked 3 in the WET. Who knows how much he could have kicked in drier weather.

Imagine a forward line with Wilkes Kosi, Riewoldt and Milne with each kicking 50 odd goals for the year. To me, it sounds "delicious" :p

The other change can be Gwilt, but I am not sure who to push out. I would dearly love to have him in, as it gives the likes of Goddard and Fisher another "out" to kick to.

PS I am so glad that Dawson won't be playing for St Kilda. While Max was there, it allowed dawson to claim credit for Franklin's donuts against St Kilda. As soon as Max was gone, Buddy started kicking 5 goal hauls against st kilda and dawson had that silly look on his face all the time. Now with Simpkin there, I would dearly love to see how Franklin goes on a half decent backman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilkes kicked 3 in the WET. Who knows how much he could have kicked in drier weather.
Not just in the wet, but in only a fraction (3%, apparently) over half a game on the field.

Even in the wet he could easily have kicked 4 or 5, if he hadn't been subbed off, especially since he was on fire at the time he went off.

Yet some seem to want him to automatically go out. :eek: Are we really that good, that we can afford to leave out someone who just kicked 3 in basically half a game and looked like he would have kicked more, in conditions that didn't suit his game (a slippery scrap, with rushed delivery into the forward line) for much of it? Especially against one of the supposedly top 4 teams, on a ground that suits them really well?

We only just beat Melbourne, after losing to Freo here for the first time in 15 years. We need pretty much all the help we can get. I don't think leaving someone who is in form and can kick a bag of goals out of our side is a very wise use of our "resources/assets". Especially when he's likely to be pissed off at getting subbed off last week and will probably do everything in his power to make sure it doesn't happen this week.

Hmm, I'd be loath to drop Stanley. He's playing a good game, and has been VERY useful in the ruck when up against athletic types. He could well prove essential when we play against Carlton and West Coast with their athletic ruckmen (Nat vs Rhys... ooh, that's going to be a blinder!).

For mine, I'd be adventurous:
In: Kosi, out: Blake

Then I'd put the team together like this:

B: Geary, Gilbert, Riewoldt
HB: Simpkin, Fisher, Dempster
C: Dal Santo, Hayes, Goddard
HF: Steven, Koschitzke, Montagna
F: Milne, Stanley, Milera
FOLL: McEvoy, Polo, Jones
IC: Wilkes, Armitage, Cripps, Gram

Emerg: Siposs, Ledger, Peake

Essentially, I want to see how Riewoldt goes with Gilbert and Fisher as a running tall defender.

Having said that, precisely because this is such an adventurous move, I highly doubt it will happen. ;) :D

Hmm, I'd be loath to drop Stanley. He's playing a good game, and has been VERY useful in the ruck when up against athletic types. He could well prove essential when we play against Carlton and West Coast with their athletic ruckmen (Nat vs Rhys... ooh, that's going to be a blinder!).

For mine, I'd be adventurous:
In: Kosi, out: Blake

Then I'd put the team together like this:

Essentially, I want to see how Riewoldt goes with Gilbert and Fisher as a running tall defender.

Having said that, precisely because this is such an adventurous move, I highly doubt it will happen. ;) :D
I don't think now is the time for the role change of a player who's been playing at the same position for ten years Percy ;) Maybe in the NAB cup, but not in an important game

Percy's changes could happen, with Wilkes going back to take Roughead.

Wilkes was good, but there's an ABK (anyone but Kosi) element out there that is hard to stomach. Kosi is the better player, and should come back in. Wilkes would be stiff though.

Would love to see Gwilt back, but they would know he would be cherry ripe for the Carlton game (long break after this one).

Still haven't seen the 2nd half v Melbourne, but Cripps got a bit of the ball.

In contention: Kosi, Gwilt, Ledger, Siposs.
Under the pump: Polo, Cripps, Blake.

Really ? sure we have been no where near our best but that is a load of s**t. We could easily be 4 and 1 now with the toughest opening 5 round draw in the AFL.

Onto the game, Saints by 18, Hawks to lead at 3 quarter time.

I tend to be blunt when at work;)

Last year up until the prelim Hawks seemed to be saints 08. Unable to bridge the gap, but then u nearly stole the match and all the hype has been that u guys are the team to beat... Buddy changing the game forever somehow with two goals probably drives most of my negativity lol.

As both have some quality stars Sat night could be anything. If we play bomb it in like the fourth quarter Sat night we may get reamed.

The first of a ‘horror’ month starts this Saturday Night with StKilda taking on Hawthorn. The Saints have had a pretty easy draw to date and have only managed 3 wins & 2 losses. The Hawks are going for their 3rd straight loss, which is something that hasn’t happened lately.

Selection will be very interesting this week. With Beau Wilkes putting in an impressive debut for club and Justin Koschitkze available after a 1 match suspension. StKilda also has James Gwilt who has had 2 solid matches in VFL under his belt, and Adam Schneider who is set to return from injury. Whether they decide he needs a run in VFL or if he comes straight back in will be interesting.

Arryn Siposs, Farren Ray, Brett Peake & Tom Ledger also put in impressive performances in Sandringhams win over Collingwood and noone could complain if any of those came in. Jack Newnes could count himself unlucky last week aswell. It’s a pretty good position we find ourselves in.

On other hand Hawthorn have few injury concerns, with Josh Gibson & Grant Birchall in some kind of doubt at this stage of week. But no doubt they’ll both be named and then be late withdrawal as they like to play funny buggers!

KEY MATCHUPS

Josh Gibson vs Nick Riewoldt

Ryan Schoenmakers vs Rhys Stanley

Cyril Rioli vs Jarryn Geary

Clint Jones vs Sam Mitchell

Jason Blake/James Gwilt vs Jarred Roughead

Ben McEvoy/Tom Simpkin vs David Hale/Broc McCauley

Sam Fisher vs Lance Franklin

Really cant seem to make a call on what changes we will have this week, biggest question seems to be will Kosi be automatic inclusion. We know he is in his best form in long time but fact is he gave Wilkes an opportunity and he took it with both hands.

Will be test for Watters philosophy of playing players in form and that have earnt it. Which is exactly what Wilkes has done.

Starting to think maybe its good chance to give Stanley a rest and play Kosi, Wilkes & Riewoldt up forward.

Jason Blake might be in some doubt after his knock to his knee, but only see him being dropped if Gwilt is ready. (which im not sure he is, probably needs one more game in VFL)

The key to beating Hawthorn is in the midfield. Ben McEvoy needs to get first hands on ball and tap it to our midfield. With Lenny, Armo, Steven & Dal in some awesome form its perfect opportunity to get on top of them as Hodge, Mitchell & co aren’t in best form. Cant allow them to get ball in quickly to Franklin & Roughead as they will just tear the game open in few minutes.

Precisely because we need to win the midfield battle, I want to see Kosi and Stanley still in our team. We can't expect Macca to win the taps all the time, or even most of the time. Also don't want to see Polo come out, again because of the need for clearances.

Taking a quick peak into the Hawthorn thread for this game :)D) they don't seem to be as confident as i thought they would. seem to be underwhelmed about their efforts against sydney etc. apparently their midfield also 'aging' and becoming slow and out of form.... what do you guys think on their view?

I can't see Stanley being dropped. He's become a very good link up player averaging 13 touches, 6 marks and 1.2 goals per game this season. Not too mention his ability to give Mac a chop out.

I wouldn't be surprised if a tall backman is dropped for Kosi. Possibly Blake out 'sore.' I have a feeling that Watters won't want to tinker with the Stanley / Kosi / Roo combination and he'll want to see Wilkes a second time around.

We may see Wilkes and Kosi interchange a bit down back to take Roughead. Or we could really push the Hawks defence and at times play four tall's and force their hand to use Roughead in a defensive position. Obviously the weather will be a factor.

They don't have a great ruck division, but that didn't hurt them back in Round 8, 2011.

Look, they'll other come out breathing fire and re-assert their top four claims, or they're finished.

I suspect it may just be the second option.

I started thinking about the possibility of a Riewoldt/Koschitzke/Stanley/Wilkes forward line. I'm reminded of the Riewoldt/Koschitzke/Gehrig/Hamill forward line in 2004, and how successful it was (when we had them all together). Different game now, of course.

Just remember that the following players didn't play for St Kilda Saturday night:

Siposs, Ross, Clarke, Schneider, Ledger, Newnes, Winmar, Saad, Ray, Peake & Gwilt.

I respectfully suggest we have a bit of depth.

I can't see Stanley being dropped. He's become a very good link up player averaging 13 touches, 6 marks and 1.2 goals per game this season. Not too mention his ability to give Mac a chop out.

I wouldn't be surprised if a tall backman is dropped for Kosi. Possibly Blake out 'sore.' I have a feeling that Watters won't want to tinker with the Stanley / Kosi / Roo combination and he'll want to see Wilkes a second time around.

We may see Wilkes and Kosi interchange a bit down back to take Roughead. Or we could really push the Hawks defence and at times play four tall's and force their hand to use Roughead in a defensive position. Obviously the weather will be a factor.

Yep I think we should go tall up forward and force them to adapt to us.
If Buddy plays in the midfield we should just go on a head to head shoot out, I think we can cover Roughead and Hale, but can they cover Stanley, Wilkes, Kosi and Roo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back