Preview Round 6 vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he plays well in the VFL and struggles to impact in the AFL.

Has no point of difference to offset his tiny stature. Too slow to play as a forward. Too slight to play as a mid. Kick has no penetration. Many reasons!

I am asking you - when have we played him as a midfielder in the AFL?

When he goes back to the VFL, he performs well around the contests, when played in that position. Goes missing for long periods when played forward, whether at AFL or VFL level.

And even then, he has played one more game than Kayne Turner, is only a year older, and to be quite honest, has considerably better form than KT even playing as a small forward, far from his natural position.

As a club, I'm not sure why we chased a guy who wanted more midfield time only to shift him to the forward pocket.

Disappointed about Scott, I don't think he'll be anything other than a B grader but he needs a better run at it. Ahern deserves to be dropped but there are plenty of other senior players who have been worse.

I don't rate Larkey but at least he will be given a opportunity to test himself at AFL level. TT needs games, has been slightly underwhelming to this point but you can see the talent he has.

When he goes back to the VFL, he performs well around the contests, when played in that position. Goes missing for long periods when played forward, whether at AFL or VFL level.

And even then, he has played one more game than Kayne Turner, is only a year older, and to be quite honest, has considerably better form than KT even playing as a small forward, far from his natural position.
I don't know. Don't really care. Seen enough. He can try his luck at another club but I'd imagine if he was delisted he wouldn't get a third shot.

Tarrant has slipped a bit over the last couple of seasons too. I think the end will come quickly for him.

I think that 2017 Tarrant was prime Tarrant, from memory. To be fair though, him "slipping" still puts him ahead of 90% of the defenders in the comp. He deserved an AA at his peak, and it's a shame that he'll likely finish without one. Criminally underrated.

As a club, I'm not sure why we chased a guy who wanted more midfield time only to shift him to the forward pocket.
To many ahead of him in the midfield for him to get a game. Tyson, Ahern and Scott playing VFL are all better than him.

To many ahead of him in the midfield for him to get a game. Tyson, Ahern and Scott playing VFL are all better than him.

I'm presuming they'll all be playing VFL together next week if Hrovat isn't the travelling emergency again - in which case, we'll see, if he plays midfield in the VFL then. He outperformed the rest of our list last week, still being spoken about as a small forward though.

Poor Nick, I'd be surprised if we have 15 forward entries for the game. We should put him on loan to a decent VFL team, amazing that he won the frosty with the way our mob play.

wright needed to go out

Love the bloke, but the lack of speed/conditioning due to injury is a major weakness. We could carry him if he was in good form and the team wasn't s**t. but as it stands he's played one AFL game, he's paired with a bunch of other medium/small defenders with glaring deficiencies, and the team is in the worst form of the last decade.

It was a no brainer to leave him out especially if bringing luke back in. God we are going to get utterly carved up in the back half. I genuinely just can't see a method for us to win this unless we SERIOUSLY alter the game plan and probably several positional switches on top of that.

I get some people are frustrated with JMac, Wright & LMac all in the same team. But you need 7 defenders for bench rotations.
So Tarrant, Thommo, Pittard, Atley, who are the other 3 gonna be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love this club but don't think I can watch another game with this clown as coach...

Ahern had a s**t game after getting a knock early on but BS refuses to give him a decent run in the seniors unlike 19 other blokes in the team.

I thought Simpkin had his best game for the year in round 4 and then after a round where the whole team was useless gets dropped....hasn't been great this year but again see above there should be a few others dropped ahead of him.

Bailey Scott was one of our best in round 1 then played ill in round 2. Our leadership is pathetic right now and the only reason I see this change as a positive is that Scott won't bear witness to us getting slaughtered.

BS fails to make a selection statement, he did not swing the axe rather took the easy way out dropping the young players who provide us hope for a decent future.

I get some people are frustrated with JMac, Wright & LMac all in the same team. But you need 7 defenders for bench rotations.
So Tarrant, Thommo, Pittard, Atley, who are the other 3 gonna be?

That's half the point, isn't it? What the * did we do to our list?

You're dealing with supercoach types. Just scroll past it.

Against popular opinion here, but I don't hate the changes.

Me neither. Jy is in the wars, Ahern has had little impact, and I don't mind alternatively rotating Tarryn & Bailey at this stage.

Thought Simpkins had his best game in about 2 years and he finally drops him?

I swear Brad is the anti christ, possessions are death.

McDonald an automatic inclusion. 😂

The definition of mediocrity. The club is ****ed atm.

I disagree Kaboom I think the only way blokes like Ahern and Scott and Larkey and Thomas will develop is if we play them in the seniors, that is where the real experience they need to pick up is being dished out, they are the future, give them the taste of dogshit now so they are motivated to avoid that taste when they hit peak form in 3-4 years, under a new coach..........
I agree Danj, that's why I am pleased that Larkey and Thomas are in. Everyone wants McMillan and McDonald out and I would agree with those sentiments however the only one really competing for their positions and in form in the reserves is Murphy. Plus I'm over getting pissed off at their retention. Once Williams is fit one of them will be dropped as he's pretty much an automatic selection. I want a change of coach as much as anyone but I'm not going to whip myself into a frenzy after selection every week.

Where's Ahern at? I posted somewhere that this guy was the future - a potential regular 35+ possession winner who could become elite. He still might, but he sits out Rounds 1-3, is fairly ordinary in 4-5, and isn't even an emergency in 6. Maybe he needs a kick up the arse but he's not the only one. Simpkin got his this week - good - but it looks like we punish the younger guys but older guys are immune.

No senior player dropped. OK. I can cope with that. But I'd start Ziebell on the bench. Not just for a minute or two, but enough to want him salivating to get out there. Last week was the most disgraceful performance by a North Melbourne Football Club Captain I can remember. 6 possessions and no tackles. Pathetic. I actually don't care as much as usual about the winning/losing aspect. It's statement time. Step up or step down. We had PA flogs correcting themselves about not taking "lighter' teams seriously and dropping games when favourites. Stuff 'em. If JZ gets 3 for a Riewoldt 2011 incident (YouTube it) I'd accept that better than 6 and no tackles. I can accept North nt being a winning team every week, but I can't accept the abysmal rubbish we put up last week ever.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back