Preview Round 6 vs Port Adelaide

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Feeling sick about this game.

We're 0-6 at Adelaide Oval with 3 10+ goal losses. 4 straight losses to Port. After a 1-4 start we drop Simpkin (justifiable, but still a kid), Scott (justifiable, but still a kid), and Ahern (probably justifiable but surely not the biggest issue). Certainly, of course, none of the old guard, none of the senior players that have got us to 1-4 this year have been poor enough to be dropped. Of course not! It can entirely be pinned on the kids.

Still carrying the same old, same old. Middling mediocrity.

Part of me wants to believe in the club - the club that would be able to bring out a backs-to-the-wall win. I don't give a * whether it's attributed to Shinboner Spirit or not, just the club standing up.

But I don't have the same faith in the coach or the team. Middling mediocrity.

I don't know the exact ages of each 22 but last week we were 26y 40 days on average age with 2377 games played (presumably McDonald in for a young guy with 2 in/2 out means we'll be older with a few more games), while Port last week were 24y 318d with 2137 games played with an unchanged side.

Can't decide what's worse in terms of my expectations - a competitive loss that papers over the cracks because "it was better than Good Friday", or a total flogging. Either is likely. Neither are helpful.

Feeling sick about this game.

We're 0-6 at Adelaide Oval with 3 10+ goal losses. 4 straight losses to Port. After a 1-4 start we drop Simpkin (justifiable, but still a kid), Scott (justifiable, but still a kid), and Ahern (probably justifiable but surely not the biggest issue). Certainly, of course, none of the old guard, none of the senior players that have got us to 1-4 this year have been poor enough to be dropped. Of course not! It can entirely be pinned on the kids.

Still carrying the same old, same old. Middling mediocrity.

Part of me wants to believe in the club - the club that would be able to bring out a backs-to-the-wall win. I don't give a **** whether it's attributed to Shinboner Spirit or not, just the club standing up.

But I don't have the same faith in the coach or the team. Middling mediocrity.

I don't know the exact ages of each 22 but last week we were 26y 40 days on average age with 2377 games played (presumably McDonald in for a young guy with 2 in/2 out means we'll be older with a few more games), while Port last week were 24y 318d with 2137 games played with an unchanged side.

Can't decide what's worse in terms of my expectations - a competitive loss that papers over the cracks because "it was better than Good Friday", or a total flogging. Either is likely. Neither are helpful.

That's exactly how I feel about tomorrow. In a football game, both teams are always a mathematical chance to win of course, but I just can't see how we could possibly achieve it. We know that Jack, Cunners and plenty of others will go out there breathing fire, but it won't be enough.

I've been tossing up all week as to whether I should have a big bet on PA at $1.26. I think that's clearly overs but it's well below the odds I would otherwise ever take (I never backed Winx, for example). Dunno, possibly depends on what time I start drinking tomorrow.

errrp!

Cancelled
Feb 24, 2009
nsw
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cracking presser from Brad....I emerge rejuvenated and inspired and expect a typical North Melbourne response....Kangas by 10 goals

went on a long spiel about about how center clearances are our problem - telegraphs that Plan C is throwing Ziebell into the centre to re-capture the magic from circa 2014. then drops Paul Ahern and leaves Dom Tyson in seconds. Against Wines, Boak, Rockliff, Powell-Pepper et.al ....

A master stroke.

Back