Review Round 6 vs Swans @ Metricon Stadium (24.04.21 - 1:45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You can still watch it. Murtagh took some great marks.

When we lost Witts the club said that Murtagh is up to it but was away from the club due to passing his farther and will need to be built up. So that could be the reason why he spends extra weeks in VFL. I am not going to re-watch VFL game but he did seem to fade out in the last quarter.

Murtagh was very good as a forward, marked a lot of balls and should have at least 4 goals.

As for ruck, Hofert spent more time there and despite still being skinny it looked to me to like he was doing a decent job, probably better than Murtagh. That being said Burgess and Graham were dominated and I feel like Greewood actually was the best choice there against Sweet.

Murtagh in for me unless he does not have a tank yet.
I hope he's mentally recovered from the passing of his father. Always sad to hear when these things happen.

Just watched the fourth quarter back. A play-by-play of Murtagh's visible actions in the fourth quarter:
  • Murtagh started the quarter in the ruck. He won the tap which lead to a clearance for Brodie and an inside 50 kick.
  • Laid a nice shepherd on the wing which gave Sharp more space to dispose of the ball.
  • Provided a nice tap down off a touched high ball in the forward 50 to the crumbing forward Ace who handballed to another player who should have had a shot for goal but fumbled.
  • Followed up the tap with a tackle of a small defender inside the forward 50 which nearly resulted in a turnover.
  • Outbodied on the wing for a mark from a kick down the line out of our defensive 50. First indication of fatigue about midway through the fourth quarter.
  • Got involved in a bit of physical stuff/pushing in the defensive 50 to back up a teammate after a 50 metre penalty was paid to us.
  • Took a nice mark on the run in the defensive 50 from a Bulldogs' inside 50 entry and didn't allow the Dogs' forward to get anywhere near it.
  • Followed the mark up with a decent kick out wide to start a switch on the fat side.
After a busy three quarters which involved four scoring shots/two goals, a few tackles, multiple contested marks and a decent amount of time in the ruck with 15 odd hit outs, I would say that's a pretty decent effort in the fourth quarter from Murtagh. The man moved all over the ground playing forward, back, in the ruck and as a tall option on the wing and that was in the fourth quarter alone! Here is a gif of his mark in the defensive 50 late in the fourth quarter to show he was still giving lots of effort right to the end of the game:

3PpuXBO.gif

Keeping in mind that the bulldogs vfl ruckman is not actually a ruckman either but a tall defender.

murtagh was effectively tucking against a Caleb Graham type yesterday.

None of their 3 ruckman English, Martin, sweet obviously played vfl
Tom Hickey injured his PCL yesterday so the Swans will either have to play 195cm forward Sam Reid in the ruck or call up 200cm Callum Sinclair from their reserves. Apparently Sinclair was soundly beaten in the VFL game yesterday so this would be a position of concern for the Swans. Probably the perfect opportunity to give 196cm Murtagh a go.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would have thought McLean would come in for the Swans as their ruck.
Even still, McLean is just 1cm taller than Murtagh at 197cm and has only played 6 games at the AFL level. I can't imagine he'd be able to dominate a debuting Murtagh the way some more experienced and/or taller ruckmen would.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Pretty sure it will be Sinclair. McLean could come in if Buddy or McDonald are rested which is a decent chance.

Even if it is to my mob's disadvantage, I hope Ballard plays. He is just great to watch.

Sinkers probably comes in for Hickey. McLean did not ruck in our ressies match.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Murtagh it . Let's see how good he is .
Normally I would definitely disagree with this but after Saturday's game I am with you. We are in no position too think long term,give kids two years to prove themselves and if they aren't move on to someone else. We need to be more ruthless sink or swim

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Buddy misses for them.

I don't think he's played us since our W down there a couple of years ago. Maybe Rory still giving him nightmares after that match-up? ;)
What a gun Rory is, On one leg and still locking Buddy out of the game.

True superstar of the game.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just redeemed my ticket. Now just waiting for Ballard and Lemmens in and Murtagh thrown in the middle.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Rory used to play buddy so well, had the closing speed to spoil him and wouldn't let him get easy marks.
I thought that was the one and only time Rory played Buddy?

I remember in the interview after the game that win, May was saying that he normally takes Bud, but this time it was Rory. Buddy looked at May when they were lining and asked him if they were serious.

Then Rory gave him some soap for the upcoming bath he gave him.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I thought that was the one and only time Rory played Buddy?

I remember in the interview after the game that win, May was saying that he normally takes Bud, but this time it was Rory. Buddy looked at May when they were lining and asked him if they were serious.

Then Rory gave him some soap for the upcoming bath he gave him.
Im sure he played on him more then that, maybe not direct match ups but would beat him in contests often

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
If we don't drop Harbrow and Lemmens/Ballard come back in. I could see a case for Bowes to be pushed into the middle.
I’d actually get Brodie in this week and have him at all CBAs. That’s his game. Yeah he doesn’t have a massive engine but play to his strengths whilst we still develop. No point grinding Noah into the ground. Him not being in the long term plans shouldn’t stop him helping out now.
He’s great at getting his hands on it first at stoppages and we got smashed 42-23.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we can't beat the Swans at home with Franklin Rampe Heeney and Hickey out we will be in massive trouble and the drums will be beating for Drew's departure.
They still have a backup ruckman while we have just got a big hole there. Debutant Sweet dominated Burgess/Graham. That's where we are. Unless we somehow square the middle it does not matter who they are missing. We certainly are not favorites - $2.60.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back