Review Round 6 vs Swans @ Metricon Stadium (24.04.21 - 1:45pm)

Mate you earned my love just for showing up, You then earned my adoration during the game for pounding on that drum like it owed you money (or played for Sydney)

I actually was meaning to mention it during the game but got sidetracked

Well done, hope to have you back up here once again

Thanks BRM, I’m hoping to come back up for the St Kilda game on May 8th, looking into flights at the moment.

Where are you staying at??

It was a FIFO operation Bodsy, I flew home late last night.

I was missing a drum in the first quarter. Thanks God, a common sense prevailed and you were allowed to use it. You did a great job. You have to fly in for every home game from now on.

Thank you mate, appreciate the support. Tell me about it, I couldn’t believe how uptight they were about the drum, they say that they want atmosphere and crowd energy but do everything they can to limit it, it’s a joke. Thank God the club helped sort it out. That would be amazing, I’ll definitely get to as many as funds can allow for! I love coming up to Metricon.

I lost you once we got off the plane I tried to catch up on the tarmac but was stuck behind some slow walkers and got inside the terminal you were gone

I tried looking for you in the forward pocket at the game but couldn’t see you, I was keen for some beers.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Noah Anderson looks every bit as good as Rowell. Those two are going to dominate the league as a one-two punch for years.

g'day, hope you don't mind me posting on your team's board - Suns definitely my 2nd fave team since moving to Cairns, they're televised a fair bit up this way and I've seen a fair bit of them.

anyway; agree with you on Anderson - the Suns have a potentially superb core group of youngsters all developing together, but I reckon Anderson is starting to show signs that he could be the key to the whole thing, the kind of hard-running ball magnet mid you can build a team around.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
g'day, hope you don't mind me posting on your team's board - Suns definitely my 2nd fave team since moving to Cairns, they're televised a fair bit up this way and I've seen a fair bit of them.

anyway; agree with you on Anderson - the Suns have a potentially superb core group of youngsters all developing together, but I reckon Anderson is starting to show signs that he could be the key to the whole thing, the kind of hard-running ball magnet mid you can build a team around.

Are all Suns matches on free to air TV up there?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Are all Suns matches on free to air TV up there?
I believe all Suns and Lions games are shown live on 7mate all throughout Queensland. I can confirm that is the case in north QLD at the very least.

Pretty big for us to have that kind of coverage. Kids in central and north Queensland can watch us play every week on free to air.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Damn, Thilthorpe that's decent. I wanted him to slide so bad. I didn't watch any of the other games. Flanders played great though, 2 ways
thilthorpe kicked 5 on debut..
kozi also kicked 5 same game
tom Powell had 25 touches
dev robertson had 18 touches, 2 goals, 6 tackles

so I'm going to go with no
was impressed with his game though

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Was so refreshing to see our out and out pace.Been a while.Legs Markov, Lemmo, Rankine, Ellis,Ainsworth,Powell-even Farrar has some toe and evasiveness for his size
You can't buy or train for natural speed unfortunately but you can do the best with what you've got(Hugh Greenwood)
My boys get very sick of hearing me talk about how the best become the best
My 3 R's
Resilience Recovery Repetition
As Mr Bods noted- we need to repeat these sorts of performances every week- not just when we get a media rocket
The great players and teams have very little delta between their best and worst efforts(repetition) , they play injured and often(resilience) and they have these massive freakish tanks that allow them to compete time and time again(recovery)
My coaching mantra is that if you keep running up and down the ground dragging your direct opponent, at some point if you've got the 3 R's covered your opponent is going to drop off and you have then created the advantage for yourself and the team
I think that's what we saw from our team on Saturday-massive aerobic, anaerobic and physical effort
Just on Noah Anderson-I predicted during the early Rowell-mania that he would win a Brownlow before Rowelly.I've seen nothing to disprove that to date.It's interesting that Matt himself in serious mode says Noah is the best footballer he's seen or played with.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Was so refreshing to see our out and out pace.Been a while.Legs Markov, Lemmo, Rankine, Ellis,Ainsworth,Powell-even Farrar has some toe and evasiveness for his size
You can't buy or train for natural speed unfortunately but you can do the best with what you've got(Hugh Greenwood)
My boys get very sick of hearing me talk about how the best become the best
My 3 R's
Resilience Recovery Repetition
As Mr Bods noted- we need to repeat these sorts of performances every week- not just when we get a media rocket
The great players and teams have so very little delta with their best and worst efforts(repetition) , they play injured and often(resilience) and they have these massive freakish tanks that allow them to compete time and time again(recovery)
My coaching mantra is that if you keep running up and down the ground dragging your direct opponent, at some point if you've got the 3 R's covered your opponent is going to drop off and you have then created the advantage for yourself and the team
I think that's what we saw from our team on Saturday-massive aerobic, anaerobic and physical effort
Just on Noah Anderson-I predicted during the early Rowell-mania that he would win a Brownlow before Rowelly.I've seen nothing to disprove that to date.It's interesting that Matt himself in serious mode says Noah is the best footballer he's seen or played with.
Yeah I agreed with you then and still do, Noah will be a better player the Rowelly, both great prospects but Noah's aerobic abilities are just so superior along with his size. Kid is a genuine star and will get Brownlow votes aplenty this year

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah I agreed with you then and still do, Noah will be a better player the Rowelly, both great prospects but Noah's aerobic abilities are just so superior along with his size. Kid is a genuine star and will get Brownlow votes aplenty this year
I would also put money on Anderson at the moment but no doubt in my mind it's way too early to say. For me the main question with Rowell is - Can he survive long term inside with his body size and his style of play? I just hope we ease him slowly into the game, starting on the wing.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I know some have mentioned recently that our night home games could be hurting us given the dew that's often produced up here at night but tomorrow's conditions will be near perfect - sunny and 23 degrees. Absolutely no excuse for skill errors tomorrow. If our disposals are a lot cleaner tomorrow then maybe the theory has some legs but if not... well you know what that means.

Still very optimistic about this one. Bitterly disappointed neither Smith or Murtagh were selected but I still think we're a good chance to come away with the W. We need big games from King and Corbett to have a chance because goal kicking has been an issue for us this season.
Just catching up been away all weekend;

This right here is what AFL house should be looking at. Day Games = Suns play perfect football

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Better late than never haha;

Some big ticks for me;
- Day Games at Metricon
- Dew & Coaching staff getting their tactics right
- Speed, Healy, Lynch, Dixon knowing Suns players/tactics
- Crowd

Player wise;
Ellis is really underated and if they pick pure wingers he is definately in the mix for a AA Blazer.
Ainsworth looked real good and we need to see it more consistently.
Ballard coming back big plus.
Miller is an absolute workhorse, how does he just run at 110% every minute, unreal.
Lukosius is a beautiful kick and looks like he is wing/floating forward.
Weller classy and a massive win from Pick 2 trade.
Anderson is so so good.
Markov gets in very good link up spots, we need to use him more.
Corbett is a workhorse and delivering on his potential. Needs to fix his robotic set shots.
Rankine one of the better players, pressure, goals and playing naturally.
Lemmens was a glove, thanks to Lynchy for shouting him out alot. Deserved it
Swallow unreal, looks fit, looks hungry.
Flanders can play, leave him in the team now and get his chemistry up.
Burgess should stay in the side, agile and very handy forward with King & Corbett
King is so good that he has 18 goals and "the better forward" Max only has 9
Holman one of the best games ever, Impact on ground is thru the roof, don't know why he was everywhere but jeez confidence must be sky high.
Farrar is a steal, composed skillful and smart. Very handy.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
No dew and slippery conditions

A bit harsh on the poor old coach

(forgive my poor attempt at humor:drunk:)

What I really came here to say is how much I enjoyed watching that game.

Suns were outstanding and gave the high flying Swans a lesson in desire and commitment. Well done. Sydney are almost becoming your bunnies!!

The other thing I wanted to say is that Izaak Rankine, apart from having freakish (if yet unfulfilled talent) seems to be a ripper young bloke.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here anywhere but I was impressed by the TV vision him making an effort to present that young Suns supporter with his boots (or was it one boot?) just after the game finished. You could see that the young fella was over the moon.

A nice gesture by Rankine. All class.

More importantly, a real "heart and minds" winner:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions

Suns were outstanding and gave the high flying Swans a lesson in desire and commitment. Well done. Sydney are almost becoming your bunnies!!

The other thing I wanted to say is that Izaak Rankine, apart from having freakish (if yet unfulfilled talent) seems to be a ripper young bloke.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here anywhere but I was impressed by the TV vision him making an effort to present that young Suns supporter with his boots (or was it one boot?) just after the game finished. You could see that the young fella was over the moon.

I also noticed from the Lounge in front of the bench that Rankine was fist pump celebrating every goal or good act from the bench when he was off like a supporter. He was as pumped as me!

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The mum posted the pic on Instagram pretty sure it was two brothers 1 boot each

I also noticed from the Lounge in front of the bench that Rankine was fist pump celebrating every goal or good act from the bench when he was off like a supporter. He was as pumped as me!

He looked back to playing his natural game I think he was being over coached

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams

It was also his birthday Friday, seems like alot of the younger boys got around his birthday too that Saturday night. Beers taste better when they are Winners Piss!!

Sassermon

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
g'day, hope you don't mind me posting on your team's board
I for one say the more the merrier. lets never be one of those insular inbred groups that start spluttering rage whenever someone else pops in. unless it says no oppo supporters (which I don't love anyway) then pull up a stool, grab a beer and bring on the banter

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
I for one say the more the merrier. lets never be one of those insular inbred groups that start spluttering rage whenever someone else pops in. unless it says no oppo supporters (which I don't love anyway) then pull up a stool, grab a beer and bring on the banter

thank you kindly!

Like I said I like the Suns, and I’m enjoying watching them develop this 2nd wave of talent most weeks.
hope they have another win this week!

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
A lot of people forget Holman was like this a couple years ago before he was struck down with his back injury
He was in his prime when we had Lynch and Dewy' game plan was Holman, Ainsworth, MacPherson & Young to tackle everyone inside the forward 50. Worked for the few first games and then...... you know what happened next

Back