R6 2019 - 7.4 46 v 15.14 104 (58)
R7 2016 - 12.7 79 v 18.15 123 (44)
R4 2014 - 4.8 32 v 16.11 107 (75)
R22 2010 - 10.8 68 v 16.16 112
(44)
R22 2008 - 10.5 65 v 24.20 164 (99)
R7 2007 - 10.10 70 v 16.13 109 (39)

R10 2006 - 16.5 101 v 15.8 98 Hallelujah

We’ve had more losses at Kardinia Park since our last win than that stadium has had name changes or currently has letters in the alphabet in its title.

Lost our last 6 by an average margin of 10 goals and since the turn of the century have the grand total of 1 win and a draw from 12 attempts.

Graveyard doesn’t even begin to describe our record there. (It used to be good - we held a 7-5 record there prior to 2000).

To say this game is a challenge is an understatement but let’s get into why we can defy history and beat these *ers.

This is also a good spot to advise that your favourite unbiased biased as * commentary team will make its 2021 return for this match so keep an eye out for links

Recent Form

Both sides enter this match with 3-2 records on the back of some patchy form to start the season although Geelong were one non-HTB decision from being 2-3.

The WCE have gone W-L based on home and away games despite leading at 3/4 time in both their away games. Geelong lost their season opener on the road to Adelaide, split their MCG games with a narrow win over Hawthorn and a loss to the chest puffers (Melbourne), and had unconvincing home wins against Brisbane (should’ve been a loss umpire) and perennial footnote North Melbourne

Both sides will be looking to consolidate their position in the top 8 with a win to get their season on track after indifferent starts.

Team Changes

Geelong look set to lose Dangerfield for several weeks following ankle surgery but will welcome boom recruit Jeremy Cameron into the hoops for the first time. Higgins is the only other noteworthy best 22 player missing through injury.

Enough of them, what about us you say.

Pending our penchant for last minute injury notifications it would appear JK is the only player under a cloud from last weeks side that may require a forced change to the land of giants that defeated Collingwood. My hunch is he won’t make the trip and the club take the opportunity to freshen him up for the Derby- his record against Geelong is kinda s**t too, averaging 2 goals a game over 14 games and just 3 wins.

So who replaces him?

Despite our win over Collingwood the side looked unbalanced with too many talls so I’d be looking for a running player to come into the team. Most likely the JJ hokey pokey to play against the team that didn’t want him after a solid outing for the beagles. Perhaps Winder if he’s overcome the illness that kept him out of the beagles last weekend

Langdon and O’Neill aren’t guaranteed selection after quiet games against Telstra but I think they’ll survive

Out : JK
In : JJ

Key Matchups

WCE v Four(th) Quarters

When we’re good we’re very very good but when we’re bad we’re horrid.

So far we’ve been unable to string together 4 solid quarters of football with the Gold Coast game possibly the closest we’ve come to 4 consistent quarters. Lapses in our home games have only cost us some % which may or may not be significant come seasons end. But it’s our inability to run out games on the road that have arguably cost us two wins given we led both the bulldogs and Saints at 3/4 time

If we can play our best footy and sustain it for more than a 1 or 2 quarter burst we’ll win

TB/Gov v Punchy and his new mate

Tommy Barrass has been in pretty good form so far, however Gov has been mixed as clubs find ways to expose his lack of accountability. Hawkins has given us trouble in the past with his strength and will be hoping to improve on his average score of 2.3 this year given he’s normally more accurate than that. Cameron doesn’t have a good record against us averaging less goals vs West Coast than any other side

Geelong have struggled so far to find a consistent Avenue to goal with only Hawkins (10) kicking more than 5 for the season so far. Containing their new twin pillars we be a key

The Triple Double headed forward threat v the scraggers

Conversely all roads to goal lead through Darling(15), Allen (14) and Kennedy (13) for West Coast. As a triple threat they’ve been hard to contain as a collective. With the likely absence of JK Geelongs job just got a little easier as outside that trio our other forwards have struggled.

We’ll be looking to Waterman to step into the 3rd tall role and hit the scoreboard for the first time this year. It’d be nice if Vardy can have an impact up forward as well since he’ll likely see more game time but I won’t hold my breath

Kelly v the ferals

TK returns to the Corio boghole for the first time since his release and he can expect a hostile reception from the inbreds. He’ll also have to deal with a hard tag from O’Connor who is set to return from injury

He will be familiar with the ground and I’m sure he’ll set himself for a big game. We’ll need it

Summary

History says Geelong win this and win it by a lot, however, they’ve looked vulnerable there in their two games and without Dangerfield this is a great opportunity for us notwithstanding our own injuries.

But to build on Simpson’s words * history, * you and * them

West Coast by 24

And tune in to our live commentary

Last edited:
Love the preview, find myself always getting optimistic we will beat Geelong down there and have been proven wrong every time. Tipping a loss by 30 (can't handle being crushed by hope again) but a win would be epic.

Prediction: Nelson to cause Selwood to crack it and get suspended

Yeah nah, not feeling it ay.

Just pray to god that our piddling percentage doesnt get blown to hell and no one ends up injured at the end of the day.

Chris Scott sounded far less direct and confident about Jeremy Cameron playing this weekend compared to his post match press conference.

Am just banking on blind faith, ragged hope and some dumb luck to go our way,
a bit like the $80 million lottery tonight!?
Umm...go you depleted eagles, fly high like a meat pie in the sky!

When I win $80m tonight in powerball I’m putting it all into Geelong. At $1.60 that nets me $48m. Free money. And If the Eagles somehow get up I’ll be so happy I won’t even miss the $80m

If someone offered me $80m with the condition that the Eagles never win another game again I'd take it in a heart beat and laugh at you all from my tower of gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is also a good spot to advise that your favourite unbiased biased as fu** commentary team will make its 2021 return for this match so keep an eye out for links

————————————

And tune in to our live commentary

Amazing preview. Each sentence a tour de force.

* the Vic commentary. Mute your TV and listen live.

bit.ly/WCEBFPodLive

Leigh Matthews once said "if it bleeds, you can kill it"

If we are going to lose, let's lose with some savagery. Make every tackle hurt. Make them earn every possession. Make them finish that game like the walking wounded with a long injury list.

I am sick and tired of us going down there and being the nice blokes that we are, playing bruise free football, and losing. If we can't win the game, let's at least win the physical contest

Ironically, the last time we did win down there was when we had a team full of animals and loose units

Honestly can’t see us winning this, we couldn’t beat the Saints on our preferred Melbourne track and the Cats are much better than the Saints.
Hopefully the Cats have a real shocker of a day as that’s the only way I think we will win.
Ability wise we could, between the ears when playing away we don’t need to much more proof from this group that it’s just to much hard work.
Hope I am wrong.

[QUOTE="The wily weagle, post: 69693343, member: 157825"
Ironically, the last time we did win down there was when we had a team full of animals and loose units
[/QUOTE]
...and they're still out there roaming the mean streets at night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back