Review Round 7 – GWS Giants vs St. Kilda, Sat 3rd May 2019, UNSW Canberra Oval, 1.45pm

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
1556885833362.png

1556885921597.png

Where and when: UNSW Canberra Oval, Saturday May 4, 1.45pm

Last time they met: Giants Stadium, round 19, 2018: GWS 13.8 (86) defeated St Kilda 8.13 (61)

Inaccuracy cost the Saints on the road when they kicked 1.6 in the opening quarter and had 3.10 on the board at half-time. At the other end the Giants' forward line clicked with Harry Himmelberg leading the way with four, while Lachie Whitfield's 32 possessions earned him three Brownlow votes.

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for GWS: The Giants got back on track against the Swans last week and must maintain their intensity around the footy to hold onto fourth spot on the ladder. They'll want to re-establish themselves in Canberra after a disappointing outing a fortnight ago against Fremantle.

What it means for St Kilda: A win over the Giants in Canberra would give the Saints their first big scalp of the year and go a long way towards silencing the doubters who don't yet rate them as finals contenders.

How GWS wins: With weapons of all shapes and sizes inside 50, the Giants forward line has been hard to contain this year, and with Toby Greene back from injury, it's even more imposing for the Saints.

How St Kilda wins: Midfield speed and quick ball movement can hurt GWS at times and the Saints have plenty of speedy onballers who will enjoy the deck in Canberra.

The stat: St Kilda racked up 60 inside-50s against the Giants (48) in their loss last year but wasted their opportunities in front of goal, which cost them the match. They must grab their chances this week.

The match-up: Nick Haynes v Matthew Parker

Haynes took 12 marks against the Swans last week and continually chopped off their kicks inside 50, but if he gets Parker as an opponent he'll need to keep his eyes on the West Australian. The mature-age recruit from South Fremantle has a prodigious leap and doesn't need many possessions to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard.

It's a big week for: Jack Steele

The Canberra boy and ex-Giant has done some tagging against GWS before and can take his pick of former teammates to run with this week. Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly and Lachie Whitfield are all in outstanding touch this season, so whoever he gets it will be a massive task.

Big call: Jeremy Cameron has kicked seven goals in a game five times in his career and he'll finally better that mark against the Saints. Mark the Coleman Medal leader down for nine.

Prediction: GWS by 31 points

Note: Steele goes to Cogs, Whitfield and Kelly both missing

Land of the Giants Preview

It is just so satisfying to beat the Swans at the SCG.

It got a bit uncomfortable there for a while, but I never sensed we were ever in real trouble last night. More like a temporary lapse in concentration after an easier than expected first quarter, but we got away with it.

Congratulations to Tim Taranto for receiving the Brett Kirk Medal as BOG. His development as a player certainly justifies being pick 2 in the 2016 draft, and he’s always looked like he’d go on with it. He has really stepped up this year with Shiel gone and Ward out injured.

It was another even performance all over the ground, similar to way we beat Geelong. Mummy smashed Callum Sinclair in the hit outs, and Hopper, Kelly, Williams and especially Coniglio were all among best-on-ground. And I said this a couple of weeks ago, but seriously, how good is Nick Haynes with those contested marks? I lost count of the number of times he stopped the Swans momentum under intense pressure. A real unsung hero, every team needs one.

As good a win as it was, we need to take our game up another notch, as we’re back in Canberra on Saturday for what will be an intriguing encounter with the Saints. It’s not just that both teams are sitting on 4-2; St. Kilda have matched up reasonably well on us for a while now and they’ll fancy their chances given our loss to the Dockers at the same venue only a couple of weeks ago.

I think a lot depends on who takes the field. We’ve learned to cope without Ward, and got by without Phil Davis against the Swans in the absence of Buddy, but if Coniglio and Whitfield are out we’re probably cutting it fine with injuries to key players (and if Coniglio’s out, and Davis is out again, who will be captain?).

The Saints started well against the Crows and seemed to switch off a bit after quarter time, which essentially cost them the game. They will be keen to atone, and given they way they ran Fremantle close a few weeks ago, can certainly cause an upset if we're not 100% switched on.

This is going to be a cracker, so I might head down the highway to help rebuild our fortress.

Let’s go Giants, let’s go. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
With the outs from both sides, this is shaping up like it could be a very even contest. Gives some of the unheralded from both teams to show their wares. Saints today by 23pts. :stkilda:after that good luck for the rest of the season. :thumbsu:
Don’t expect us to be playing in any GF this year, so certainly are hoping you guys can & do win the big one.:gws:

Morning Giants,

So many outs in the best players for both teams could make this a very interesting game.
However, your overall class should get us in the end, especially as we are also fielding our most inexperienced team for years, with 9 players under 20 games. I’m pretty worried about Cameron against our extremely inexperienced back line of Battle, Wilkie and Joyce.

We’ve matched up well previously but realistically I’m expecting a loss ( would be “happy” with around 4 goals, really don’t want a smashing after our fairly bright start if you don’t mind ) but mostly I’m hoping for an injury free game for both sides.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Morning Giants,

So many outs in the best players for both teams could make this a very interesting game.
However, your overall class should get us in the end, especially as we are also fielding our most inexperienced team for years, with 9 players under 20 games.

We’ve matched up well previously but realistically I’m expecting a loss ( would be “happy” with around 4 goals, really don’t want a smashing after our fairly bright start if you don’t mind ) but mostly I’m hoping for an injury free game for both sides.
Hoping so.

But we have a habit of taking the foot of the gas when we are expected to win.
Hopefully the Freo game is still fresh and they come out firing.

If they do we should win. If they toss up the same garbage that they did against Freo we will lose.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hoping so.

But we have a habit of taking the foot of the gas when we are expected to win.
Hopefully the Freo game is still fresh and they come out firing.

If they do we should win. If they toss up the same garbage that they did against Freo we will lose.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

And we play better as underdogs....should be interesting :)

LK Metro

All Australian
Sep 5, 2013
Uptome...
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Seahawks & MN Wild
Can anyone tell me where I could find the weekly team selections for the NEAFL please?

In particular, I am looking for Perryman...I think that this week may be his first game back following injury?

Gulliver72

Debutant
Apr 7, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Can anyone tell me where I could find the weekly team selections for the NEAFL please?

In particular, I am looking for Perryman...I think that this week may be his first game back following injury?

Perryman got 19 touches , think him and Langdon (possibly Hill) are in the best 22. Reid and Daniels may be nervous

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Perryman got 19 touches , think him and Langdon (possibly Hill) are in the best 22. Reid and Daniels may be nervous

Think Hill will take more time, perhaps latter end of the year - has the skill but just think his body will be smashed at the top level. Will need to bulk up to avoid injuries.

Hoping the team can look like this over the next couple of weeks:
Haynes Davis Shaw
Kennedy Corr Williams
Whitfield Hopper Tomlinson
Langdon Cameron Lloyd
Finlayson HH Greene
Mumford/Simpson Kelly Cogs
Taylor Taranto MDB ...

The last spot to be out of Daniels/Perryman/Reid/Deledio/Cumming/Hately.

Back