Preview Round 7 – GWS Giants vs St. Kilda, Saturday 3rd May 2019, UNSW Canberra Oval, 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
It is just so satisfying to beat the Swans at the SCG.

It got a bit uncomfortable there for a while, but I never sensed we were ever in real trouble last night. More like a temporary lapse in concentration after an easier than expected first quarter, but we got away with it.

Congratulations to Tim Taranto for receiving the Brett Kirk Medal as BOG. His development as a player certainly justifies being pick 2 in the 2016 draft, and he’s always looked like he’d go on with it. He has really stepped up this year with Shiel gone and Ward out injured.

It was another even performance all over the ground, similar to way we beat Geelong. Mummy smashed Callum Sinclair in the hit outs, and Hopper, Kelly, Williams and especially Coniglio were all among best-on-ground. And I said this a couple of weeks ago, but seriously, how good is Nick Haynes with those contested marks? I lost count of the number of times he stopped the Swans momentum under intense pressure. A real unsung hero, every team needs one.

As good a win as it was, we need to take our game up another notch, as we’re back in Canberra on Saturday for what will be an intriguing encounter with the Saints. It’s not just that both teams are sitting on 4-2; St. Kilda have matched up reasonably well on us for a while now and they’ll fancy their chances given our loss to the Dockers at the same venue only a couple of weeks ago.

I think a lot depends on who takes the field. We’ve learned to cope without Ward, and got by without Phil Davis against the Swans in the absence of Buddy, but if Coniglio and Whitfield are out we’re probably cutting it fine with injuries to key players (and if Coniglio’s out, and Davis is out again, who will be captain?).

The Saints started well against the Crows and seemed to switch off a bit after quarter time, which essentially cost them the game. They will be keen to atone, and given they way they ran Fremantle close a few weeks ago, can certainly cause an upset if we're not 100% switched on.

This is going to be a cracker, so I might head down the highway to help rebuild our fortress.

Let’s go Giants, let’s go. :clapping:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Plenty of question marks for selection this week and I can see the rehab department working hard to try and get everyone on the park for Saturday
Those in doubt are in bold

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron MDB
Daniels HH Lloyd
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson TOJ Taylor Reid

Hately and Cumming next in line IMO although maybe Shipley and Buntine, with Ward going down for the season the inside mid stocks are looking a bit thin and maybe the clubs goes for Shipley to expose him to some tough football early in the season

After a good start to the season the Saints are seeing injuries pile up but they will still be a hard contest at Manuka and with Ross and Steele they have 2 very tough footballers Steven is good both inside and out and then Gresham and Billings offer that flexibility in the mids and forward and as Freo showed they can get over the top of the Giants mids, they are just lacking Fyfe

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Coniglio and Whitfield will be massive outs if that transpires.

Is Davis a certainty to start? Ankle ligaments can be touchy things.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I saw a bit of the neafl game. Xavier OHalloran will be at least a solid afl player. Hard to tell how good he could be just yet but I saw a few good signs on the weekend.

Bonar still needs to learn to be more accountable.

Zac Langdon will be back soon.

Keiran Briggs mobility for a 200cm guy is crazy. He could be a star.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I saw a bit of the neafl game. Xavier OHalloran will be at least a solid afl player. Hard to tell how good he could be just yet but I saw a few good signs on the weekend.

Bonar still needs to learn to be more accountable.

Zac Langdon will be back soon.

Keiran Briggs mobility for a 200cm guy is crazy. He could be a star.
Cheers for this.Wheres Caldwell.?Didnt see him on injury list and haven't seen an update from the club

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Coniglio and Whitfield will be massive outs if that transpires.

Is Davis a certainty to start? Ankle ligaments can be touchy things.
I read somewhere Davis was ready and if the game was Sunday he would 0f played.
Or something to that effect.

Think he will be back

Hell of an effort from the boys missing both our Captains, Greene 1st game back and Cogs and Whitfield hobbled early.

If the effort is their we will smash the Saints. If it isnt(like against Freo) we will lose a close one.

Fingers crossed for Cogs and Whitters.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I expect Whitfield to play given he started on field after his corkie. He might be hampered for a week or more but in general players back up after that kind of injury.

Cogs depends on the severity. It's hard to tell. Again, playing out the game is a good sign and there's been plenty of players who have played through a break if it's not major.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
hi, how come hately was dropped in the sydney game? is he a chance to play this round?

Jackson's opportunities will come, perhaps as soon as this week if Cogs or Whitfield don't get up.

We are blessed with some solid depth which helps, but the messaging of Hately dropping back to NEAFL, even after a solid debut, is a strong one, sending the message that one good performance will not cement a spot - only attitude and consistency will earn it.

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Feb 15, 2019
Liverpool
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
We were god awful to.

St Kilda were a rabble for the entire season last year, but I agree we weren't in good form when we played St Kilda in the drawn game, what about the return game though, we were in much better form at that time yet still only won by 25 points and us and St Kilda had 21 scoring shots apiece.

I'm wary of them this week and if Whitfield misses the game it doesn't make things any easier.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-30/westfund-rehab-report-round-7

From the injury report it looks like Whitfield wont play which is a great loss and hopefully the guys can cover it and no mention of Reid but I think he hurt his lower leg (Ankle) quite badly late in the game and it sounds like Coniglio will be given until the last minute to get up so still a few doubts going into the game and I think MDB playing mid will mean that 1 of either Buntine or Reid will play a defensive forward role, I think Langdon will need 1 more game in the NEAFL to prove his fitness

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Kennedy
Kelly Taranto Tomlinson
Greene Cameron MDB
Daniels HH Lloyd
TOJ Taylor 2 of Hately/Cumming/Reid/Buntine

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Watched the YouTube replay of afl 360 tonight.
They said with a loss of two on the weekend, the saints are now without 8 of their top 22 players.
Let’s keep that from our top 22, so they don’t “take the foot off”. ;)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Cap is back.

Going out on a limb and thinking they got Too and Zac mixed up in positions.

Otherwise bold move making Williams a Fwd.

6969eeb748f6f41e1a40f751835d6d98.jpg
55cfa3d9856ddd0bdcbc629098a2a4cd.jpg
5596d3a1198f462d82ca27d5918a82f5.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back