Review Round 7, 2017: Port Melbourne v Box Hill Hawks, 3 June 2017, 2.10pm @ North Port Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Really enjoyed that game.

Pittonet has put some size on! Was great today. Not sure about his opposition as I don't see much VFL footy.
Langers was huge, particularly the second half.
Thought Morrison was pretty solid too. Wouldn't hurt to give him a game or two.
Thought Heatherly was good early, but faded a bit. I'm not sold him yet, but he has a dip doesn't he?

Didn't think anyone else put their hands up, but would still like to TOB back next week.

Any idea how much longer Nash will miss? He is one I am very interested in. Also any kind of report, preferably a good one, on Glass, Morrison and Stewart would be appreciated. I would like to see Morison and Glass get a couple of games this year, and Stewart a few more too.

Morrison was very good today. Knows how to find the football and uses it well. Coming along well.
Glass doesn't find a lot of the ball but is coming along well. Made a sensational save in the last quarter.
Stewart was OK. Last year I loved his attack on the ball and desperate tackling and knew he would be elevated to the senior list. The times I have seen him this year I was hoping for some improvement but haven't seen it.
Other than that off the top of my head:
Pittonet celebrated his 21st birthday with the best game I have seen him play. It would help if he could take a few contested marks.
Langford got a lot of the ball, kicked a few goals and sprayed his field kicking. If we had a contested marking KPF he may be good. Sadly we don't.
TOB flew high prematurely a few times but kicked a few goals in a good return.
Hartung and Schoey did enough to get them another game at Box Hill but not in the seniors.
Pity Switkowski is not on the rookie list. Quite small but a big heart and good speed.

Langers deserves a go in the seniors on that effort. Yes he sprayed it but he really imposed himself on the game.
I have knocked langers for his disposal in the past but he gets a game in my books

TOB looked like a guy who hadn't played a few weeks. Possibly trying too hard as well
Apart from Switta and moore i thought Brolic was very good in close and had a pretty good game.
Pitt was good in the ruck but was the big man out there.

We really missed Dave Mirra out there today. Not much talk amongst the players especially early.
Perhaps a bit rusty off the bye. No one calling out to players they are hot or to kick it wide etc...

So many times we could have protected fellow players in the marking contest instead of both going up
We just didn't have the team coordination going today great come back after being dead and buried in the last
Great game. The good news we will be getting more soldiers back from the seniors in the coming weeks hopefully

Looking forward to next week we should win down in Nth ballarat

Hartung is really at the cross roads.

You can tell he is being instructed to take the game on in the VFL but he just cant seem to break games apart like he should be at that level.

He has a complete no tackle policy it seems and i really don't see how that turns around unfortunately.

If he got drafted at the same time Brad Hill was instead of Hill (hypothetically) he would have played in 3 flags and looked a million dollars but we are not the same team anymore.

You can tell he is being instructed to take the game on in the VFL but he just cant seem to break games apart like he should be at that level.

He has a complete no tackle policy it seems and i really don't see how that turns around unfortunately.

If he got drafted at the same time Brad Hill was instead of Hill (hypothetically) he would have played in 3 flags and looked a million dollars but we are not the same team anymore.

Don't agree with that last part. Brad Hill is a far, far better player than Hatung. He certainly wouldn't be getting run down by VFL players.

Yeah i agree. I guess I was being generous towards him for fear of being attacked by the usual muppets for posting a negative post about a player.

Look I want Billy to come good for his sake and ours - but I think he's got a ceiling and we're sadly seeing it. I hope to eat humble pie, but won't be shocked if I don't.

Brad Hill was extremely valuable, but I can't help thinking our recollections of him have been gilded since he left.

He played many ordinary game which left a lot of us frustrated. He also played well in some monumental wins, which may be clouding some of our recollections a bit.

Having said that, I'd still rather him than Hartung...but the gap may not be as large or insurmountable as it seems...

With regard to Langford my post above was a bit flippant. You can't criticise his endeavour and work rate. He must have had over 30 disposals. My frustration is that if he had a bit more composure and lowered his eyes he could be a really good AFL footballer.
However if can get 30 touches in the seniors and burns a few I guess we could settle for that.

Great game with fitting result.
Pitto played a great game best I've seen from him
Langers was in everything some good and some turnovers..next in line to go up unfortunately lm not a fan this is his level imho
Tim o just went looked rusty
Hartung didn't look interested to be honest ..trade the mofo
Shoey just a game..he should dominate this level but doesn't...trade
Stewart can't knock the lads endeavour but doesn't get enough of the ball
We should of rookies switta he's better than a few on our senior list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartung was pox today I recon he was sulking at playing vfl level..hope the mofo gets use to it cause he ain't going anywhere on that performance

Brad Hill was extremely valuable, but I can't help thinking our recollections of him have been gilded since he left.

He played many ordinary game which left a lot of us frustrated. He also played well in some monumental wins, which may be clouding some of our recollections a bit.

Having said that, I'd still rather him than Hartung...but the gap may not be as large or insurmountable as it seems...

I was always a massive fan and said numerous times during the off season that he would be missed more than Lewis and Mitchell. Agree that not everyone was singing from that hymn book in 2013-16.

Morrison was very good today. Knows how to find the football and uses it well. Coming along well.
Glass doesn't find a lot of the ball but is coming along well. Made a sensational save in the last quarter.
Stewart was OK. Last year I loved his attack on the ball and desperate tackling and knew he would be elevated to the senior list. The times I have seen him this year I was hoping for some improvement but haven't seen it.
Other than that off the top of my head:
Pittonet celebrated his 21st birthday with the best game I have seen him play. It would help if he could take a few contested marks.
Langford got a lot of the ball, kicked a few goals and sprayed his field kicking. If we had a contested marking KPF he may be good. Sadly we don't.
TOB flew high prematurely a few times but kicked a few goals in a good return.
Hartung and Schoey did enough to get them another game at Box Hill but not in the seniors.
Pity Switkowski is not on the rookie list. Quite small but a big heart and good speed.

Thanks for that dermott, much appreciated. Hope Morrison gets a go soon, and from all reports Pitto must be progressing well.

I really, really want Switkowski on our list. I dare say we won't be the only ones looking at him though. He's like a streamlined Poppy who probably won't take as many marks of the year but absolutely hits like a sledgehammer.

Any idea how much longer Nash will miss? He is one I am very interested in. Also any kind of report, preferably a good one, on Glass, Morrison and Stewart would be appreciated. I would like to see Morison and Glass get a couple of games this year, and Stewart a few more too.
Nash injured his hamstring tendon, I think it was the Geelong game. Tore it but not off the bone. He will miss most, of not all, of the year.

Senior
Port Melbourne
5.3-33 7.10-52 9.15-69 15.18-108
Box Hill Hawks
4.1-25 8.4-52 13.7-85 16.12-108

Port Melbourne

Goal Kickers: L. Waddell 3, C. Cain 2, J. Lisle 2, K. Haretuku 2, T. Pinwill, I. Conway, B. Murdoch, D. Conway, R. Nahas, S. Lange
Best Players: T. Pinwill, L. Tynan, S. Lange, B. Mihocek, L. Waddell, K. Haretuku
Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: S. Switkowski 5, T. O''Brien 3, W. Langford 3, N. Lane 2, W. Murphy, C. Jones, A. Brolic
Best Players: S. Switkowski, W. Langford, A. Moore, K. Stewart, M. Warren, R. Schoenmakers

Development
Port Melbourne
4.4-28 8.5-53 11.14-80 15.15-105

Box Hill Hawks
1.0-6 3.2-20 6.4-40 11.5-71

Port Melbourne
Goal Kickers: A. Anastasio 5, W. Goss 3, A. Krakauer 2, J. Tynan, B. Hogan, M. Golby, T. Knowles, S. De Soysa
Best Players: M. Golby, A. Anastasio, D. Houghton, S. Clarke, W. Goss, T. Gordon
Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: T. Maloney 2, T. Horne 2, D. Hehir 2, M. Traynor, T. Jacotine, T. Castledine, J. Walker, L. Williams
Best Players: S. Gibson, H. Burt, C. O''Sullivan, D. Hehir, T. Horne, A. Bond

Hartung was pox today I recon he was sulking at playing vfl level..hope the mofo gets use to it cause he ain't going anywhere on that performance

I think Hartung plays better in a stronger team.
He's had much better games in the Firsts because he doesn't win his own ball, he needs it fed out to him. I don't say that as a criticism, Brad Hill was the same, great out in the open when someone puts him clear.

I like the spirit at Box Hill, everyone seems to put in and hit the packs with confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back