Review Round 7, 2017 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure medical people would allow players to have 50+ shots at goal they miss out on there 15 meetings :)

Does seem skills for some players are not what they used to be. Although pressure is one thing. Zorko missed one he should of got as well

not sure medical people would allow players to have 50+ shots at goal they miss out on there 15 meetings :)

Does seem skills for some players are not what they used to be. Although pressure is one thing. Zorko missed one he should of got as well
Fev actually spoke about this on Melbourne radio a while back. He says the sports scientists would literally run out onto the practice field and tell him he had already reached his max for the day and risked injury if he kept practising goal-kicking (after a training session).

Disappointing that Mills got cleared. Pretty awful cheap shot similar to Greene's

If Mills got done for that then Nick Robbo goes for the punch in the back of the head while "attempting" to spoil

I'd argue there were different levels of contact but it was a cheap shot, poorly hidden by Robbo. Perhaps worthy of a fine.

All 6 were probably cheaper than the laaadeedaaa bearded brewer produced craft beers he sells black market kidneys for from his local inner city bottleshop (sorry Ale Cellar)

Actually...

I stopped at one of the laaadeedaaa bearded brewer produced craft beer pubs for lunch on my way to the stadium. $8 for a laaadeedaaa bearded brewer produced craft beer. Ouch I thought, until I got to the SCG... Carlton Draught at the SCG is $8.20.

Actually...

I stopped at one of the laaadeedaaa bearded brewer produced craft beer pubs for lunch on my way to the stadium. $8 for a laaadeedaaa bearded brewer produced craft beer. Ouch I thought, until I got to the SCG... Carlton Draught at the SCG is $8.20.

Actually

I mostly drink small scale craft beer as I don't tend to drink that much (unless at the german club) but that doesn't mean I can't have a ill conceived go at Haso for doing the same. Thanks for ruining it dlanod!!

MRP said:
Contact between the Sydney Swans’ Callum Mills and the Brisbane Lions’ Jarrod Berry from the second quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. Berry was preparing to take a mark with Mills coming to the contest and seeking to spoil the ball. Mills has his arm straight for the spoil attempt and does not use a swinging arm action when high contact is made. A 50-metre penalty was paid at the time for the high contact. It was the view of the panel that Mills was making a legitimate attempt to spoil and no further action was required.

Contact between the Sydney Swans’ Lance Franklin and the Brisbane Lions’ Nick Robertson from the third quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. It was the view of the panel that the force used was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

This is very true. But did you also notice and I know CF made a cheeky remark about it in his press conference after the game but it was true that Buddy was pretty much the difference. He was the one to stand up and kick all those goals to win them the game.

Unlike us who no one seems to be able to kick more than 4 goals. I think Close was the last one to kick 4 goals but other than that no one can kick a bag of goals. I cant believe Schache cant kick more than 2 games in a game.

We need a forward like Buddy in our team!

The same buddy who only kicked more than 2 goals once in his first year (3.2 vs schache best last year of 2.3)? The same buddy who had 34 scoring shots at goal in his first year (the same amount as Schache in his first year) and 40 from 14 games in his second (schache tracking a bit lower at 10 from 5 games)

Admittedly he did kick two bags of 6 goals in his second year (both in wins). Schache is still in his second year so I guess we'll have to wait the rest of the year out to complete our cries that schache isn't tearing teams apart like a 13 year veteran of AFL football who sits 11th on the all time AFL/VFL goalkicking list.

Afl live article says 'lance Franklin was deemed to have no case to awnser '. Interesting wording. The video made it look like Franklin was the victim, but this statement implies he wasn't.
Pretty crap if a senior player of his calibre is taking cheap shots at kids.

Really impressed that nrobbo drew a line and love that the video has him coming out on top. One for highlight reel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Afl live article says 'lance Franklin was deemed to have no case to awnser '. Interesting wording. The video made it look like Franklin was the victim, but this statement implies he wasn't.

Really impressed that nrobbo drew a line and love that the video has him coming out on top. One for highlight reel.

I think Franklin threw in the first jumper punch then flopped for the free when Robertson pushed back.

I'm glad that Robertson didn't back down, but mostly underwhelmed at Franklin's theatrics and the umpires going for it.

Last edited:
There was enough footage shown during the next break that showed Franklin clearly struck first. I think the fact Nick immediately retaliated cleared him of any real reportable infringement. That and Nick enthusiastically showed him what the front of his own jumper looked like close up several times while pretending to be a plank of wood. Just a shame the umpires on the field had no vision of what happened before he started the theatrics.

Actually

I mostly drink small scale craft beer as I don't tend to drink that much (unless at the german club) but that doesn't mean I can't have a ill conceived go at Haso for doing the same. Thanks for ruining it dlanod!!

It's more about the SCG beer prices than anything (hence the original money bags comment as well). I remember Metricon being more when I was there for a preseason game, but most others seem not quite so gougy.

Still... $8.20 for Carlton Draught...

It's more about the SCG beer prices than anything (hence the original money bags comment as well). I remember Metricon being more when I was there for a preseason game, but most others seem not quite so gougy.

Still... $8.20 for Carlton Draught...
Not that I drink the stuff, but what's a nip of Johnny Red and Johnny Black worth?

Double Black Douglass drinker here. Not that I drink these days.

If Schache isn't having 50+ shote at goal from all angles every training session, he should be.

For a bloke who came to us with rave reviews on his kicking, right now he isn't a good kick. If he'd kicked 4 on Sunday, and not 2, this might have done wonders for him and the team. Get JB onto it. Fly him up for some one-on-one. Quick.

I must admit if there is one feature of our coaching structure that concerns me still is that our forwards coach is Ben Hudson, I'm pretty sure he has never served an apprenticeship in this area.

I must admit if there is one feature of our coaching structure that concerns me still is that our forwards coach is Ben Hudson, I'm pretty sure he has never served an apprenticeship in this area.

One of the most efficient forward lines in the league and you question his worth? Maybe have a crack at the defensive and midfield coaches because we leak so many goals every game due to lack of pressure and tackling.

Not sure he did.
I thought the actions of both were 'reasonable' in the circumstances. Nick gave a shove in the back (fair enough) and Buddy wanted to stamp his authority over the young pup. That's fair enough too. If Buddy was ours, I'd expect him to show who's boss. When Nick reacted, Buddy went down easily to get attention. Forwards are too often ignored when being scragged by defenders. It was Buddy's experience and cunning that won the battle. The fact Nick went on with it is what gave away the free.
Nick took him on and made Buddy look dopey which was a great sight to behold for Lions supporters. I think the free against Nick was correct and fair enough. I don't have a problem with him giving it away on this occasion, given the state of the game. Had it been a close game, I'd be pissed at Nick's ill-discipline.
In the circumstances, I'd give Sydney 12 points, just to see him do it again.

On that, why has no-one made a gif of Nick shaking the s**t out of the big grub?

Not having a crack mate just expressing my reservations, sorry if I offend.

People have been over this a million times on this board. They knock him because he wasn't a forward completely ignoring the fact our forward line does quite well. Extremely well given the lack of experience.

People have been over this a million times on this board. They knock him because he wasn't a forward completely ignoring the fact our forward line does quite well. Extremely well given the lack of experience.

My point is that Schache is a very unreliable set kick, as Sunday amply demonstrated. His ridiculous run-up with the almost touching the ground routine is unnecessary and must have an impact on his balance. KISS.

My point is that Schache is a very unreliable set kick, as Sunday amply demonstrated. His ridiculous run-up with the almost touching the ground routine is unnecessary and must have an impact on his balance. KISS.

He might kick 100 out of 100 at training. Not sure anyone has the secret for goal kicking.

Back