Game Day Round 7, 2018 Swans vs. North

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week we were not expected to win and I for one had high hopes but few expectations of victory.

This week I have hopes of a win and more expectation. Yet we are still undersized.

I am worried Brown will have a big game, Higgins will be a factor and Mason Wood will show what we missed out on.

As usual we will rely on the ability of our defenders to absorb successive inside 50s. We will also rely on our new look midfield asserting dominance over theirs and providing supply.

Last week 9 of our goals came from four first and second year players. We will again be looking to them as well as more accurate kicking from Rohan and Heeney and scoreboard pressure from Paps, Sinkers and the mids.

I'm backing the old fashioned mosquito fleet to kick plenty.

Bloods by 32.

Starting to hate the way we play on the SCG and the stadium itself, becomes a congested scrap if other match our inside work then it really becomes a scrappy fight

We play longer length grounds ala skilled stadium, Perth etc much better imo where we can into open spaces

Our forward line won’t be as free flowing and and have the open spaces to run into , won’t be able to push up 40m like last week

Parker bog

Swans by 13

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t like us on the SCG, and that’s not just me being reactionary to our 1-2 record there this season. I’ve been saying this for a few years now. The SCG seems to lure our players into the “long bomb forward to nothing” mindset and our mids especially are at their scrappiest on the confines of the smaller ground. Means we get killed by intercepting players, and our runners don’t have the time or space to do what they do best.

Still time to fix it and I suspect this week will be the continuation from last week of the Swans officially going into fourth gear for the season!

Why am I nervous about this game?

Swannies by 37!!

It’s the Adelaide game over again. Expected to win.

Not saying we’ll lose but we have to start well.

Starting to hate the way we play on the SCG and the stadium itself, becomes a congested scrap if other match our inside work then it really becomes a scrappy fight

We play longer length grounds ala skilled stadium, Perth etc much better imo where we can into open spaces

Our forward line won’t be as free flowing and and have the open spaces to run into , won’t be able to push up 40m like last week

Parker bog

Swans by 13
This is all true but considering the grand final will never be played at the SCG I prefer that we have a game plan suited to longer grounds

It’s the Adelaide game over again. Expected to win.

Not saying we’ll lose but we have to start well.

The difference is that we won't have two "passengers" this time as we did with a lame Buddy & non threatening Hanners against Adelaide & we still only just lost that game. So as I've mentioned before, the only issues I've had with any coaching of our team in poor losses over the years is directly related to team selection based on backing in injured players who actually can't get the job done.
There should be no such thing as playing players less than 95% fit & even then they need to show that they have a history of managing themselves through such a game.

I will look to see if we don't have JPK in the middle for too many contests early in the game & let him loose in the last as we did last week. He looked fresh in the last, perhaps a strategic plan by the coaches to use the younger players & get some critical experience in the middle but when the game needs to be won, go with the big guns.
This time last year we were 0 & 6. Now we sit 4 & 2 & it was about this time we started our big run & really hit our straps form wise.
We'll need to with the Hawk's game following whatever we dish out tonight.
6 & 2 with a win over the team that got us twice last year will be excellent, 4 & 4 will be still ahead of the 2 & 6 we sat on after 8 rounds last season.

We are going along nicely, all while we are getting valuable experience into some promising youngsters. We are instilling some resilience into them & that will be critical when they become seasoned players & need to dig deep one day on the big day in September, as many of our players did against the Hawks in 2012.
Based on our recent history, we may play in 2 or 3 GFs in the next 10 years.
We'll need every bit of resilience they have to get the prize.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nervous as hell about our very undersized backline. If Brown gets a hold of Grundy we have no one else to go to him.
We need a really solid team defence today. Rampe the key here. If he can drift in & out of leading patterns then we can disrupt Brown enough that Reg has a chance one on one realatively stagnant. If Brown gets a meter or two on Reg with noone cutting across to cut Brown out or impede him then we could be in trouble.

The difference is that we won't have two "passengers" this time as we did with a lame Buddy & non threatening Hanners against Adelaide & we still only just lost that game. So as I've mentioned before, the only issues I've had with any coaching of our team in poor losses over the years is directly related to team selection based on backing in injured players who actually can't get the job done.
There should be no such thing as playing players less than 95% fit & even then they need to show that they have a history of managing themselves through such a game.

I will look to see if we don't have JPK in the middle for too many contests early in the game & let him loose in the last as we did last week. He looked fresh in the last, perhaps a strategic plan by the coaches to use the younger players & get some critical experience in the middle but when the game needs to be won, go with the big guns.
This time last year we were 0 & 6. Now we sit 4 & 2 & it was about this time we started our big run & really hit our straps form wise.
We'll need to with the Hawk's game following whatever we dish out tonight.
6 & 2 with a win over the team that got us twice last year will be excellent, 4 & 4 will be still ahead of the 2 & 6 we sat on after 8 rounds last season.

We are going along nicely, all while we are getting valuable experience into some promising youngsters. We are instilling some resilience into them & that will be critical when they become seasoned players & need to dig deep one day on the big day in September, as many of our players did against the Hawks in 2012.
Based on our recent history, we may play in 2 or 3 GFs in the next 10 years.
We'll need every bit of resilience they have to get the prize.
Last week we played a very soft midfield with a weak ruckman. . North whatever they are not soft. Harder today.

We keep on underestimating Sinclair and he keeps on proving us wrong. I hope he does it again.

North are hard at it but if we play anywhere near our best we'll get home comfortably.

Swans by 36.

We keep on underestimating Sinclair and he keeps on proving us wrong.

I think that he is just improving. He has always shown something. I wonder if he is just thriving as being the No. 1 ruck. I also would like to know the inner workings, to see if Cox is having a big influence on him

Tipping a season-best game from Rohan today, 12 disposals and 2 goals

Will be interesting to see how the Swans' midfield handles the Jacobs tag, but he had a huge game last week and should star again

Also hoping Callum Sinclair continues his hot form, and interested to see how Ronke goes

I think that he is just improving. He has always shown something. I wonder if he is just thriving as being the No. 1 ruck. I also would like to know the inner workings, to see if Cox is having a big influence on him
Agreed. I think the additional responsibility has helped him lift his game.

The other little matchup I'm interested in is Towers vs Thompson. Anything could happen there. Body on body Thompson will win but Towers could run him ragged so I hope he uses that mobility.

The other little matchup I'm interested in is Towers vs Thompson. Anything could happen there. Body on body Thompson will win but Towers could run him ragged so I hope he uses that mobility.

I am glad Towers is back. Playing great as a utility/pinch hitter when Sinkers has a break. I cringed when Fox was in the Ruck last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back