Review Round 7, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes because one player was responsible for 50/60 point losses to Collingwood and Essendon.

By your logic Answerth should never miss a game as our win ratio is 100% with him in the side.

Just thought I'd add that we should also keep bastinac in the team as our win ratio with him is 100%

That was our most important win for the year, so far. For 10 years their midfield have physically monstered us, and at the half yesterday it looked like dejavu. But we fought back and in the end over ran them. The belief Fagan has instilled in this team is amazing.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I've got no issue with Taylor and am a bit surprised at some of the reaction. Not his best game but he did have 3 score involevements and 5 tackles, a couple of them were crucial, his tackling has definitely improved, it used to be not just worst in team but arguably worst in comp. He is not running in circles any more due to having actual targets to kick to. Gave away a 50 from memory, I'd be keeping him in the team and the squad though. Just my take.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've got no issue with Taylor and am a bit surprised at some of the reaction. Not his best game but he did have 3 score involevements and 5 tackles, a couple of them were crucial, his tackling has definitely improved, it used to be not just worst in team but arguably worst in comp. He is not running in circles any more due to having actual targets to kick to. Gave away a 50 from memory, I'd be keeping him in the team and the squad though. Just my take.
I just watched the last quarter again and I have to say Taylor was cool under pressure a couple of times and did some nice things . The issue now is that we have guys pushing up for selection from the reserves and you have to make choices , which is a great situation for the club to be in

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know we are butchering the ball going inside our 50 but im just rapt we are getting the opportunity for this to be a problem. Hopefully over time our inside 50 decisions will deliver better outcomes but i would much rather have this problem than not getting it in at all right at this moment.

My main point is i do feel a bit sorry Mitch Robbo when i watch him play each week. IMO i reckon he has to work twice as hard to win a free kick from
the umpires compared with everyone else , but he seems to be pulled up very quickly when giving free kicks away.
The 50 he gave away last night was for the slightest touch on the head. And then for him to be bowled over and the umpire not reverse it. Geez.
Basically i reckon he gets a raw deal and when i say raw deal i mean RAW DEAL from the umpires.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yep 7 disposals for a wing is totally acceptable

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think he's obviously under pressure for his spot but he's a guy who is capable on his day . Yesterday wasn't it but he still gave us something . He really needs to get more aggression into his game . Liberatore Senior turned it around when he was older than Sqizz.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll watch the replay at some stage tomorrow, and then it might be more obvious why he didn't get too many possessions .
For mind and being at ground level at the game , we seem to be taking the long kick more often in general plan than using the short lead.
That's his bread and butter so I think it could be the way we have been moving the ball in the last few games , compared to last year or earlier in this year.
We need to get that balance back imo, too many times our kicks went to contests.
When Sydney used it they had loose players and looked so much better with their movement when they did have the ball.
I know there where a few occasions where some short leads where ignored and we looped a ball into 50 and lost it , can't say it was Lewy being ignored so that's why I want to see if it was and if we had better options going inside 50.
It looked like we played wet weather footy and they played dry weather and would have won if they matched us with the contests.
The track didn't look like it was water logged or anything.
We got the win but we don't look like a top 8 team going by that game , need to use our ball movement in a way so our possessions are not so contested.
If the boys can bring that hunger every game for 4 quarters we'll scrap it through to the top eight , but that is doing it the hard way.
Better balance of whether to go long or keep possession will be another key for us.
For mind that's Lewy's game right there. Maybe Keays is the answer or someone said move Linc to the wing, don't mind that idea.
If it's a dry track next week it will be interesting to see how we move it.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
The counterpoint would be that Florent only had 7 as well playing the same role (although he did kick a goal). Not really the kind of game for that sort of player. Cutler got plenty of it but he is much bigger than both.

On the whole you're right though, Taylor's having the exact same problem as Bastinac. If we're going to have a no impact placeholder on the wing, we may as well use that spot on someone who isn't a known quantity like Allison or T Berry, maybe even Keays. I'm still mad about that Bastinac selection, North established long ago that he's not and never will be an effective outside mid.

Roos' overcritical critique of several marginal calls in the game was poor form IMO. It was Sydney's inability to score enough goals that was the issue. The game was up for grabs in the last quarter and they can't adjust their game style.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Massive bowl of porridge for brekky.

Writing.

Listening to The Stones Singles 1968-1971

LIONS FIVE AND TWO.

DOES LIFE GET BETTER THAN THIS?

Yeah by replacing the Stones with the Beatles 67-70:moustache:

1557024694454.png

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Roos' overcritical critique of several marginal calls in the game was poor form IMO. It was Sydney's inability to score enough goals that was the issue. The game was up for grabs in the last quarter and they can't adjust their game style.
He always goes pretty hard at us for some reason plus we were playing his mob.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Had a couple of Yanks sitting directly behind us for the 2nd half last night, they certainly lived up to the stereotypical Yank profile, bombastic, self obsessed and so bloody loud, it was f....ng annoying in the extreme.

I could have put up with it if they were half a dozen rows away but right behind your ear... gee give me a break.

Pride of lions

Team Captain
Nov 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not all about disposal #. Clearly it's a combination of how much you get and when those touches are and their effectiveness. Not saying he was BOG. Just not horrible. Disposal count low but still had an impact for me
Taylor only played 61% game time so wasn’t going to rack up a heap of possessions,but I agree that he did provide an impact,especially in the last quarter. Would be interesting to know why he had such limited game time.

Taylor only played 61% game time so wasn’t going to rack up a heap of possessions,but I agree that he did provide an impact,especially in the last quarter. Would be interesting to know why he had such limited game time.
Fresh legs for the last quarter?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I guess we'll find out when the team is announced on Thursday if Fagan and co. were happy with Lewy Taylor's game.

I haven't watch the replay yet but at the game I thought Lewy did some good things and as usual ran his backside off, his tackling has also improved IMO.

Paul Mac

All Australian
Jun 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Had a couple of Yanks sitting directly behind us for the 2nd half last night, they certainly lived up to the stereotypical Yank profile, bombastic, self obsessed and so bloody loud, it was f....ng annoying in the extreme.

I could have put up with it if they were half a dozen rows away but right behind your ear... gee give me a break.
Would rather have yanks than the collingwood person we had behind us at the gabba. Told him stop using the F bomb during the game with my 80 year old mum and one of my young kids in front of him and he told me he couldn't care less and told us to move if we didn't like it.
Give me your yank people any time:thumbsu::)

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Roos hates us. We know he is a Swans supporter but he didn't even try to hide his displeasure with the umps. We got the rub of the green, no doubt, but I reckon a total of 20 minutes was spent with him sooking about calls or questioning umpiring. He did it in the Port game too. You will NEVER hear him giving us any support to us in that area, officially has become my most hated comments person. Dont put him on Swans games if he can't disguise his passion.

Back