Review Round 7, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate it when they pull that one out, as if not allowed opinion if haven’t played footy at the highest level.

I know what you mean and it's a positively ridiculous notion. I hope Roos never comments on the quality of a movie, book or meal considering he's never made any of those at the highest level.

Roosey just sounds like a total whinger all the time.

And he seems to love picking on us.

A shame really because as a player he was a complete champion

What the commentators fail to grasp is that we can all see the game , what they need to be doing is making incisive comments that add to our understanding , not just going on and on about trivialities . Don't like the way he treats Robbo as some sort of joke .
I muted the volume several times for extended periods because i couldn't take any more of the negative waste of time drivel.

Roos's commentary last night was one of the most biased ever....biased for the Swans & biased against the Lions. He was pathetic. Especially after that free to Robbo. I did have a bit of contact with Roos a few years ago (True story. He actually sent me a text at 7am, the morning after the Swans won the 2005 premiership. I got the shock of my life at the time I must admit!). I still have his mobile number! I was that bloody wild with his commentary. I was considering sending him a text last night, telling him to cut the rot out. Not that he would have cared or listened of course. But it would have made me feel better! He is a shocker for our games! His bias for the Swans is so bad!

Made time to re watch the game.

Positives. Berry and McCluggage go from strength to strength. Walker is one of the best inform intercept markers in the comp. Rich is in career best form. Mcstay had his best game for a while. If that was his norm no one would knock him.

Not too many negatives. Anytime (without pointing out the obvious) you keep an opponent to under 100 and manage to get there yourself your gonna have a good day.

5 games we have managed to kick 100+ and we won all them. (We only kicked 100 5 times last year.)

Whilwe have been great offensively, we are still leaking way too many. We have given away 613 points, which is the 4th worst in the league. Teams worse are Sydney, Melbounre and Nth Melbourne who are all down the bottom of the ladder. Teams around our position are about 500 points (+/- 50 points). Whether it is defensive running or poor defence l dunno but that would be the next step of our development. If we can still keep our offence up while decreasing the number of goals we let through, we will start winning even more games.

Would rather have yanks than the collingwood person we had behind us at the gabba. Told him stop using the F bomb during the game with my 80 year old mum and one of my young kids in front of him and he told me he couldn't care less and told us to move if we didn't like it.
Give me your yank people any time:thumbsu::)
One of the reasons I decided not to renew my 21 year long membership.

Interstate nutters out to learn us ill-educated northern hicks an AFL lesson.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Whilwe have been great offensively, we are still leaking way too many. We have given away 613 points, which is the 4th worst in the league. Teams worse are Sydney, Melbounre and Nth Melbourne who are all down the bottom of the ladder. Teams around our position are about 500 points (+/- 50 points). Whether it is defensive running or poor defence l dunno but that would be the next step of our development. If we can still keep our offence up while decreasing the number of goals we let through, we will start winning even more games.

I think the more relevant stat is we are 6th in percentage. By taking risks offensively we do compromise defence. Which, as long as we maintain the differential, is providing entertaining footy.

I think the more relevant stat is we are 6th in percentage. By taking risks offensively we do compromise defence. Which, as long as we maintain the differential, is providing entertaining footy.
And playing entertaining footy in a Qld market is what will put bums on seats.
Chris Fagan knows that.
‘As we are in the entertainment industry after all’!

I still think we struggle with a fast small-mid sized forward.. People match up to Cameron with us better then we do with their player.
I was hoping Bundy turn into that for us this year, he seems to lost a few yards of pace. Answerth maybe can grow into that role had 5 tackles both weeks. Builds confidence and some more size.
Witho/Bailey play more attacking defender. Gardiner, Hodge, Lester and Rich too slow for the super quick guys.

I just love suitcases. Good disposals and of late kicking 2 goals a game. Good attacking mid.
Props to mcstay for kicking his obligatory 2 goals at crucial times.
Good game. Special thanks to the crows for keeping freo away from our 4th spot. To be in the top 4 after 7 rounds is a better look then after 3 rounds.
And with andrews to come back looks good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roos' overcritical critique of several marginal calls in the game was poor form IMO. It was Sydney's inability to score enough goals that was the issue. The game was up for grabs in the last quarter and they can't adjust their game style.
Agree been bloody annoying lately

Roos hates us. We know he is a Swans supporter but he didn't even try to hide his displeasure with the umps. We got the rub of the green, no doubt, but I reckon a total of 20 minutes was spent with him sooking about calls or questioning umpiring. He did it in the Port game too. You will NEVER hear him giving us any support to us in that area, officially has become my most hated comments person. Dont put him on Swans games if he can't disguise his passion.
How frustrating was it I've gone to loving him when was Fitzroy captain to despising him as commentator deadset sooked it.

6. WHO ARE THE WINGMEN MAKING AN IMPACT?
Let’s the hope the All-Australian selectors don’t load the wing positions with midfielders at the end of the year because a wealth of high-performing wingmen is on offer.
This will shock, but Champion Data ranks Gaff No.41 on the list of wingmen.
First is Brisbane’s Hugh McCluggage, who was again a standout in the win over the Swans with 24 touches and two goals.
The top 10 are McCluggage, Ricky Henderson, Josh Kelly, Joel Selwood, Brad Hill, David McKay, Sam Walsh, Ed Langdon, Jared Polec and Steele Sidebottom.
The rankings criteria focus on possessions, where you win the ball, and what you do with the ball.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...7/news-story/3490ce6120abc371a1e4c27ecaddee3b

I know what you mean and it's a positively ridiculous notion. I hope Roos never comments on the quality of a movie, book or meal considering he's never made any of those at the highest level.
Ironically having played the game at a high level does very little for the quality of commentary for the most part. The quality of special comments types around the place is ******* dire with very few exceptions, while ex players calling doesn't work very well. BT's an annoying dickhead and Dwayo's just in a league of his own. I've never encountered another commentator who sucks the enjoyment out of the game like him- not even Ray Hadley and most of the ch 9 cricket team.

I watched the Sunday Footy Show earlier (well fast forwarded through most of it except the Lions segment) and Barrett and Brownless were of the view that Hipwood will get 1-2 weeks for his hit. Now I know anything's possible with Christian / MRO, but I'll be seriously pissed if he gets suspended. I just worry that the incident will get viewed similar to that Hawthorn player last week who did get suspended.

I personally don't mind Paul Roos and find him insightful on AFL related topics not concerning Sydney or Melbourne, but that ends when he commentates Sydney games, which he really be banned from doing because he just can't be impartial whatsoever. No matter how hard he tries, his biases towards the Swans just come to the fore every time. I find it more disrespectful that it occured against the Brisbane Lions where he is a Life Member and inducted into our Hall of Fame (might be wrong on the latter), although I appreciate that he never actually had anything to do with the Brisbane Lions as such.

The hipwood ‘hit’ shouldn’t have even been 50. It was in the marking contest and the guy didn’t complete the mark. So a free kick should have been the penalty not a 50m penalty.

Imo would be bizarre if it wasn’t considered a football act and he got suspended.

The hipwood ‘hit’ shouldn’t have even been 50. It was in the marking contest and the guy didn’t complete the mark. So a free kick should have been the penalty not a 50m penalty.

Imo would be bizarre if it wasn’t considered a football act and he got suspended.
And yet the Cameron hit on Andrews last year only got a penalty (no 50m). Was a mile later and basically took his head off.

Back