Preview Round 7, 2019 - Brisbane v Sydney (May 4th, 4:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a long while now (Well, a year and a bit lol), I've been waiting for us to truly unload on a team. You know it's coming. Seven goals over west coast, eight goals over the Suns, a couple of wins against the hawks, nah, that's not what I'm talking about. A real belting. A quarter where we demoralise the opposition by kicking ten goals, tearing out the hearts of their supporters like that evil priest guy from Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom. A true belting that results in membership cards meeting a melting microwave demise, A dump truck of manure being unloaded at a team's HQ, and so on. Please let it be this week.

It will happen. Please let the team be Collingwood and a dump truck of stolen denture cream

Most games are an even contest this season and this will be no different. Wet track will suit swans..... in saying that if we defend well enough (18 man defence) we win by 18 points minimum. 5-2 would b great result after 7 games.

The only thing that really worries me about the Swans is that they're underdogs, they've been talking themselves down all week ,so I wouldn't be surprised if they put a lot of effort into this game because it's one that they would think privately they could win.
Agree with this. There is nothing like a team being backed into a corner irrespective of how they are going. I don’t think we have the maturity to block the noise out and it does affect our mindset. The company is fairly close and if teams have a 10%drop in output and mindset it can make a massive difference. This for me is actually a danger game and hope that Fagan and Coaches have the boys on ‘red alert’.

What's the deal with the team line up? Club e-mail's got Andrews in for Walker, AFL website's got unchanged..

i still worry with the swans.. I remember them 0-6 in 2017 and started their run with us to finals.
I know it is a different side although always been a bit of a bogey side for us.
We should win with their outs just taking it 1 match at a time :)

Tell you what it's a funny old week for us Lions supporters. The memories burned in of our losses to the Swans since 2009 are hard to erase. Most neutrals think we're a monty, and the swans fans too tbh. For us though, it will take a season or two for the fear to subside (the same can be said for many teams I guess).

I'm trying to placate the negative tipster inside me by thinking of it this way. Here are the three most likely scenarios for the game (IMO), 1. We lose in a close one. 2. We win in a close one. 3. We thump the living hell out of them. I don't really see any other scenario playing out, so in theory we should be favourites... right?

I think one of us Lions followers should see a psychiatrist and have some therapy for the pessimism/anxiety/irrational fears that we all are starting to suffer from now we are winning a few games. They could then help the rest of us through this difficult period.

I wonder if we could orgenise some group therapy, possibly through a zoom meeting?

Yeah, the Swans scarring is real. The nadir was at the Gabba four or five years ago when a not insignificant number of fans (including me) hit the exits at half-time. Saturday night game, I think it was. Puts me on edge for tomorrow, along with the expected rain which may hamper our free-wheeling ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the Swans scarring is real. The nadir was at the Gabba four or five years ago when a not insignificant number of fans (including me) hit the exits at half-time. Saturday night game, I think it was. Puts me on edge for tomorrow, along with the expected rain which may hamper our free-wheeling ways.
I remember that game .
We were smashed by them, could of been Leppas 1st year , 2014 season.
Cant remember if I stayed for the whole game or not, probably not ,used to get the early bus home on the late games , cause if we didn't we would be waitind for an hour 11:30 still at the gabba bus stop .
I hope some of the boys that where in the team from those days still have that ingrained in their heads and use it to go that bit further.
Need to blow them off the park and let their supporters know this is our turf.

I think one of us Lions followers should see a psychiatrist and have some therapy for the pessimism/anxiety/irrational fears that we all are starting to suffer from now we are winning a few games. They could then help the rest of us through this difficult period.

I wonder if we could orgenise some group therapy, possibly through a zoom meeting?

Booze is my Dr Help and I reckon I'm 15 or so years off needed treatment for that. And with the cost of a beer at the Gabba I can't afford both.

I remember that game .
We were smashed by them, could of been Leppas 1st year , 2014 season.
Cant remember if I stayed for the whole game or not, probably not ,used to get the early bus home on the late games , cause if we didn't we would be waitind for an hour 11:30 still at the gabba bus stop .
I hope some of the boys that where in the team from those days still have that ingrained in their heads and use it to go that bit further.
Need to blow them off the park and let their supporters know this is our turf.

There was an absolute shocker in 2011 after we'd come off a couple of good wins.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5227

Incredibly, we actually started favourites for that match.

There was an absolute shocker in 2011 after we'd come off a couple of good wins.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5227

Incredibly, we actually started favourites for that match.
Just had a look at those stats, bizarre almost.
7 goals to brisbane in total.
Retzlaff 2 goals, Banfield 2 goals and 1 each to Brown, Black and Mitch Clark.
Joshua Green 6 tackles.
We copped a few losses that year but looking at those stats , no wonder I thought we were on the improve with those guys showing something.
Looking at that Sydney's team it was no wonder why they flogged us, most likely still would.
We should still beat this team easily , they are no longer that team, no where near it.
Nek minute .

If its super wet I would bring Keays in late for McStay. He has shown in the NEAFL he is a good lead up target and will be better when the balls on the ground. Three tall players in torrential rain might be excessive. The forecast certainly brings the Swans back into the fold but if we are seriously going places then we should win regardless.

If its super wet I would bring Keays in late for McStay. He has shown in the NEAFL he is a good lead up target and will be better when the balls on the ground. Three tall players in torrential rain might be excessive. The forecast certainly brings the Swans back into the fold but if we are seriously going places then we should win regardless.

The rain sadly evens out the contest when it was clear we had an edge. I hope it doesn't turn into a game of fluke goals - we rarely win that battle.

Certainly historically I would agree but I'm not so sure with this current Swans side. When they were prolific ballwinners when the game was played in close but that's just not their strength this year. They are really struggling in that area and are conceding massive amounts of inside 50's. Doesn't mean i'm not nervous but I think our inside ballwinning is a strength and that only increases in the wet. they've got a lot of young inexperienced guys in there compared to us and wet games can be hard for those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back