Autopsy Round 7, 2019: GWS v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just saying you can't trade out what you don't have plenty of or you are just doing a Pelchen. We have not really got anyone that isn't a keeper that can let go. No kids have really sitting in reserve and ready to push out players.

If we can make finals it will go a long way to making us attractive to players like Coniglio.
You get to attached to them gringo, this is the way things work these days.

Currently as the list stands we aren’t good enough so they can’t all be keepers.

Yes, they're injured old boy! Apart from Geary, and a small amount from Steven, I didn't see Carlise, Robbo, Hannebery, McPaddy or Austin in the team for our four wins so far, so it's up to the rest to lift their game I reckon.
old boy?

OLD BOY!!!!!

That's just being nasty and hateful and is reportable under the new forum terms we have agreed to

Now if I can just find some writing paper I will grab my quill and compose a missive to the gentlemen of the Administration, after which I will then place same in a stamped envelope and deliver said item to the Post Master General in my Austin 1800 :moustache:

What was Hunter's ToG for the game? I watched the game in pieces on replay. One thing that stuck out was during the second they had a the 'time of bench' for some players and it was like 30s for someone, 2min for a couple of others' and then Hunter who had been on the bench for over 11mins (in the second).

I noticed that too- that's a long time to be sitting on the pine in one hit presumably uninjured.

68% TOG for clark last week, which is in line with his usual ballpark.

http://live.fanfooty.com.au/game/2019/6957-giants-saints.html

as much as it's bloody disappointing and frustrating I still ain't gonna melt.
We were doing quite nicely with the players we were missing over the first 5 weeks
. But Geary, Lonie and Stevens being out now have pushed us from having " a few injuries" to now having " a shite load of injuries".
Purely and simply we aren't a good enough side to compete with that many injuries.
Still hope we can beat Carltank though.

I was busy all weekend and missed the game.. is it worth watching? Seems like we dominated patches

The forward entries will make you want to claw your eyes out. It's 2018 redux. I don't have the stats on hand but I suspect we won the i50 count by a fair bit; but the quality of the entries were absolutely putrid.

Spot on.

We're getting absolutely nothing from Geary, Steven, Carlisle, Roberton, Hannebery, McCartin and Austin for starters!

Yes, and don't forget Lonie!
Hes gone missing completely!!

The one that got away? re: Matthew Parker absolute sitter miss in the 3rd quarter & Saints would have only been down by ten.. was it the turning point?..you guys had the momentum..plenty of pressure on the Giants..couldn't cash in on the Inside 50 chances....thought the Saints were a chance going into this game considering the main outs of the Giants and the St-Kilda season tackle pressure numbers from all parts of the ground...not to be..but definitely an improved side compared to last year..Jack Steele was unreal..Rowan Marshall beat Shane Mumford in the ruck..not a bad effort coming back into the team..Heartening return of Jonathon Marsh..plenty of Sainters in Canberra town enjoying a few coldies or three pre-game..ran into Saints fan Paul Kelly looking super cool in his red, white & black attire..nice bloke..loved the classic Saint stick man on the run-through banner & flags in the cheer squad..enjoy some snaps..best of luck for the rest of the year..there will be more wins..

Reply to Parker turning point.
Did really seem that way, and I wish he had of nailed it. Would have got really interesting from there.
However I don't really believe so in the grand scheme of the game.
Gws was threatening to break the game open at any point (as we saw at the start) we had to work extremely hard not only to stop you guys scoring, but also for any score we got.

It's a credit to our young mob they were able to stop the bleeding for so long in the 2nd/3rd.
The Giants are a top 4 outfit, and if Cameron stays fit, in current form, could be your year.

Ok that's fair enough, though l still think you're torturing yourself. We'll need to be in the premiership window to get a player like Cogs, and the trend shows that guns won't leave a contending team for one that isn't.
I agree absolutely that our trade equity is extremely thin, but that's coz we've had some extremely shitty luck the last few years. It is what it is. Look what can be done with cheap mature age pickups though. We've got at least 3 keepers from junk picks, and this year we'll get Biggie and maybe 2-3 FS plus hopefully another mature recruit or two. It's not that bad from where l sit. It just needs a bit of time for the worm to turn fully.

Lauchie Neale, Charlie Cameron both left sides that were better off than where they went but did any way. North got players out of Port who looked ahed of them too. Momentum builds momentum, Bombers were able to attract players despite missing finals.

You get to attached to them gringo, this is the way things work these days.

Currently as the list stands we aren’t good enough so they can’t all be keepers.

Nah, just a realist, we haven't got many senior players, lost two in Roberton and Paddy so can't trade them, our mid tier is only okay so won't attract big offers and then have kids or newish mature agers. It's like having a a draw full of cheap watches and telling everyone you are going to trade for a Rolex. It sounds awesome but the few high level players we have are untouchables. Savage and Membrey types might be expendable but would you get a pick worth losing them for. Others overrate what our players are worth. We have a pretty low profile list that works on evenness, that's hard to sell individuals from.

Nah, just a realist, we haven't got many senior players, lost two in Roberton and Paddy so can't trade them, our mid tier is only okay so won't attract big offers and then have kids or newish mature agers. It's like having a a draw full of cheap watches and telling everyone you are going to trade for a Rolex. It sounds awesome but the few high level players we have are untouchables. Savage and Membrey types might be expendable but would you get a pick worth losing them for. Others overrate what our players are worth. We have a pretty low profile list that works on evenness, that's hard to sell individuals from.
I don’t think we have many that would attract a high draft pick, the knack is letting go something you don’t need for something you do.

Didn’t see a kick in anger but have seen the stats. Some very interesting. Hope someone can advise on the players I found most interesting stat wise. Marshall kent long marsh Bruce acres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t see a kick in anger but have seen the stats. Some very interesting. Hope someone can advise on the players I found most interesting stat wise. Marshall kent long marsh Bruce acres.
Marshall was brilliant for a kid. May have lost h/O's but did plenty.

Kent/long was not a day for fwd pressure as the big blokes couldn't bring it to ground.
Haynes picked of everything.
Kent got amongst it later but missed 2 when we needed em.
Long probably be dropped again.

Bruce obviously hampered by his leg, little impact on game.
Couldn't expect more of marsh first game back, especially with our delivery and Bruce not 100%

Acres was goat of course as we know.

Marshall was brilliant for a kid. May have lost h/O's but did plenty.

Kent/long was not a day for fwd pressure as the big blokes couldn't bring it to ground.
Haynes picked of everything.
Kent got amongst it later but missed 2 when we needed em.
Long probably be dropped again.

Bruce obviously hampered by his leg, little impact on game.
Couldn't expect more of marsh first game back, especially with our delivery and Bruce not 100%

Acres was goat of course as we know.
His stats suggest he was an actual goat.

old boy?

OLD BOY!!!!!

That's just being nasty and hateful and is reportable under the new forum terms we have agreed to

Now if I can just find some writing paper I will grab my quill and compose a missive to the gentlemen of the Administration, after which I will then place same in a stamped envelope and deliver said item to the Post Master General in my Austin 1800 :moustache:
Steady on!

Even with a taller forward line and plenty of inside 50s, we were still easily out-marked because we were bombing it to the Giants' advantage most of the time.

I'm pretty sure it was you who has been saying that more key forwards won't magically improve our ability to kick goals.

Even with a taller forward line and plenty of inside 50s, we were still easily out-marked because we were bombing it to the Giants' advantage most of the time.

I'm pretty sure it was you who has been saying that more key forwards won't magically improve our ability to kick goals.
It was me and a few others. Height doesn’t stop intercept marks. What stops intercept marks is better kicking and smarter players with the ball. Also worse kicking can also stop intercept marks. Port did that against wce.

It was me and a few others. Height doesn’t stop intercept marks. What stops intercept marks is better kicking and smarter players with the ball. Also worse kicking can also stop intercept marks. Port did that against wce.

Also smarter and better forwards...

Marshall was good when he did get taps he was directing them to our mids, he was better around the ground than Mummy and had him flustered enough to keep doing dumb things. Their mids were way better than ours and easily won the centre contests. Kent kept presenting more than others but does dumb stuff all the time. He was trying at least and seems to be the nominated stay at home forward while others get up the field. Long pretty much unsighted and hard to criticise someone you didn't see. Marsh looked like he was trying too hard, got a goal and looked relieved. Bruce looked still troubled by injury, had limited run. Acres looked like he did a couple of amazing things but largely unsighted.

I wonder what this thread would look like had Parker nailed that shot...

Possibly on a high...who knows what may have panned out if he nailed the shot.

I went up for the game(hadn't been to Canberra for 30 years).....when he missed....it felt like a dagger went right inside me.

Gresh sprayed a shot straight after.......for me that was it....you just knew that was the end of the comeback and sure enough....GWS went bang bang bang for 3 goals....I was gutted.

I won't go into the game summary......it's been done very well already.

Only highlight for me was Marshall.........he is certainly heading the way I was hoping he would....thought at the start of 2018 that this guy will be very good.

Other highlight was 20 more inside 50's....we can get it down there....but really struggle to capitolize in any big way.....fix that up and who knows.

I can't begin to describe how "destroyed" I felt towards the end of that 1st 1/4.....GWS had 8 on the board.....it was a sickening feeling....reminded me of the Swans game at Etihad last season where they nailed 9 in the first 1/4.

A few items on game day:

The Saints Canberra supporter group didn't have a pre game function(maybe because of the 1.45 start time).....only a post game function........imagine being the stand up comic at that...lol.

AS the crow flies the flies....the ground is 5 mins by car from the central area......it's quite close to Parliament House.

You can't see it on the TV...but to my amazement........most of the outer area is grass in front of the stands....people had picnic rugs .....it was like being at a country match.

2/3 of the ground is serviced by rows of Porta Loos.....which were getting very slippery late afternoon....ice skating anyone ?????

Big Saints crowd there.....at the gates.......you'd swear it was a Saints home game.

Manaka shopping centre(over the road from the ground) had heaps of Cafes/Bistros.....inside and outside was packed with Saints fans....spotted Mr Saints suit....the top hatted pisshead one.

The area had a great atmosphere.

Aside from the footy....had a great time in the National Capitol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back