Preview Round 7 2019 - Western Bulldogs v Richmond @ Marvel Stadium.Saturday May 4, 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s round 7 already can you believe? And this week sees the 8th placed Tigers take on 14th placed Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.
3 years ago if somebody told you that this would be the clash between the 2016 and 2017 premiers you’d have been wheeled away in a straight jacket, and rightly so!
It seems like only yesterday and yet as is the way in today’s footy also seems so long ago. The dogs were thought to have either arrived way before they were ready and stole one by some, just in rare form at the right time by others and have struggled since.
The naysayers all nodded knowingly when Richmond then followed suit in 2017 and waited anxiously for the same struggle yet the tigers went on to be arguably an even better team until an unfortunate demise in the Preliminary Final.
Just weeks before that there was some very encouraging signs by the bulldogs when they ran Richmond to a very narrow loss.

https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/23/rich-v-wb
Where are they now?
In typically topsy turvy fashion the Dogs have hit a flat spot after a particularly promising start to the season, whereas Richmond have done the opposite being battered by injury and with their credentials questioned early, they’ve steadied nicely and along the way unearthed some very exciting talent.
Jack Ross seems like a veteran after 2 games, Noah Bolton is some sort of rare species and then there is this kid nobody wants.
Sydney Stack wandered into Punt Rd with not a lot to lose and much to gain. It’s well documented he moved in with Dimma and put his head down but what many don’t know is his special relationship with his chosen Mentor. Here is a sneak look at some of the dialogue between the two kindred spirits.

“Hey Towner what’s up bro? I love how you play footy.. will you teach me the way of the Towner?”

“I like what I see young Stacky. Come with me to the Town of hurt and together we will cause carnage. First you must work on the double fist pump.”
img_6761.png
“Hey Towner, hope you like it bro I gave it a good shot”.
img_6760.png

“Ah yes my son, you are ready. Next we will study the bump. Many think they can bump Stacky but the Towner way is to try to knock them over the fence”.

img_6765.png
“You like that Towner?”
img_6763.png
“Ah yes Stacky, Towner got a stiffy and what’s more you’ve already skipped to the next step which is smashing Melbourne “hard men”, but there is no such thing. You’re way ahead young fella.
Go forth with Towner’s blessing and May we one day cut a swathe together on the MCG”.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-04-24/round-5-townsend-crunches-jones

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/sydney-stacks-into-viney!727892
“You the man Towner!

Fascinating stuff I’m sure you’ll agree. The following I have seen this week is interesting indeed.

“Hey Towner I’m thinking of getting a dog. As the master of all knowledge I ask, how do you discipline a bulldog?”

“Stacky Teach your bulldog basic obedience commands such as "Sit," "Stay" and "Down.”

Not sure what to read into that from Towner..

Oh yeah.. the game!
Richmond continue to have their horrid injury run with champion forward Jack Riewoldt once again out for an extended period joining the like of other champions Rance and Cotchin. David Astbury will also be touch and go with an ankle injury.
Still Richmond have appeared to have coped extremely well and even expanded their depth exponentially through necessity.
The dogs for their part have their own promising stable of young stars like Richards, Naughton and Smith, their still promising types who tasted success almost too early causing unreal and unfair expectations Jack Graham, Dan Butler style and their always reliable team of huge ball winners in Bont, Macrae and Hunter, and of course the great Sam Lloyd.
The dogs to my way of thinking initiated what we we love and are so familiar with at Punt rd now.
Fast, ferocious footy, lightning handball, an insane work rate to outnumber at contests and torrid forward half pressure.
For whatever reason they haven’t been able to sustain it and have experimented quite drastically positionally.
Early this season there were signs but it’s just dropped off for periods, however they are still a dangerous foe.
Richmond are generally pretty reliable in that you know exactly what you’re going to get.

On this occasion I’m expecting a 22 point victory to the tigers.

Last edited:

Tbh every game is a danger game for every team this year the comp is that even.
Think it's starting return to normal. Freo and Brissy look to be genuine improvers with more structure. Saints I feel will fall back to the pack. As will sun's. Hawks getting exposed with injuries. Port once again good early season form. Crows are bipolar.

Think it's starting return to normal. Freo and Brissy look to be genuine improvers with more structure. Saints I feel will fall back to the pack. As will sun's. Hawks getting exposed with injuries. Port once again good early season form. Crows are bipolar.

agree. popping out the crystal ball, I reckon the next few weeks we'll see a settling of the layers so to speak... a fairly clear top 4 should emerge - us, giants, cats and pies. my opinion of course, and provided we keep winning, which we probably should

I think freo, saints, lions will all recede to that 5-12 pack. the suns aren't going any higher. port, eagles, bombers and crows are the wildcards and could go either way.

having said all that, I cannot tip to save my life, so what the hell do I know!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is one team that we struggle against, it is the Bulldogs. Our only win against them since 2013 was a 3-point win last year. But then again, with the exception of 2014 Bulldogs were in decent to good form heading to our game. This year they are not.

I noticed that Bulldogs are actually one of the only sides that do not straighten up their goal kicking against us. They just have more scoring shots. We need to lift in the midfield because that is where they usually get us.

I know many of us don’t care about percentage right now, but I do. We are currently percentage away from 2nd and are sitting 8th. If that’s an indication of how this season will play out, then percentage becomes very important.

I’d like to see us do a similar thing to what we did against Melbourne and in the first 3 quarters of Sydney.

Cruise and win by 30-40 points minimum. Win alone is obviously the priority (especially against this team) but no harm setting our season up early for a top 4 finish by getting a crushing win.

To be honest, I feel like we can win this game. The out of jack will hurt but I reason that it'll shove a rocket up lunchys ass (kicked 1 goal from the last 2 weeks)

In: Towner
Out: Jack

I hate Marvel but it sort of suits our style.
It allows for a very quick game.
Dogs played well against us late last year. No doubt we will of learned from that.

I hope so, bc they are going down that playing style path well and truly and will do it again this week. They're hard to breakdown and turn their games into a slow game of chess. Pies only broke it open in the last 10 mins and freo couldnt really play the fast brand of footy theyve been playing this year either. We should win but will be tough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back