Preview Round 7, 2020: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 19 July 2020, 3.35pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t need to replace Paton with a tall - Ceglar goes forward and McEvoy rucks.
Morris isn’t ready. Ditto Impey. Poppy needs six games for 200. I would alternate him and Burgoyne for the rest of the season then give them both a send off final round.
Out - Patton, Scully, Puopolo, Henderson
In - Finn, Cousins, Burgoyne, Jones

Frost Frawley Stratton (what an uninspiring backline)
Day Sicily Hardwick
Smith Mitchell Jones
Wingard TOB Cousins
Burgoyne Ceglar Gunston
McEvoy Shiels JOM
Finn, Cousins, Morris, Worps

To return:- Scrimshaw, Lewis, Breust, Impey.

Won’t happen but I’d like to see
IN: Jeka, Finn, Jones , Burgoyne , michington, Hartley/jiath,
Out: Patton, Henderson, scully, Morrison , ceglar , Puopolo,

Hartley/jiath take mcevoy spot down back McEvoy moves into the ruck/fwd

no more games for Henderson poppy Scully ceglar unless injuires. O’Brien on the verge of that too once Lewis/nash/Patton get fit

Last edited:
I want a statement for our midfield group. Forget all the whipping boys. Our midfield unit has been absolutely embarrassed twice this year. The heat needs to be on them first and foremost.

In: Jones and Burgoyne
Out: Worpel and Scully.

After that do whatever. Lewis for Patton seems like it. I think we will see McGinness soon, but that's not happening if all of Day, Morris and Jones are playing.

Last edited:

After a pretty tough start this is the ‘easier’ games that we would be hoping to win. But we looked absolutely cooked last night so would need a big turnaround despite how bad the deed are. The pies and gws have shown two ways to beat us - clean by foot or run it in by hand. Dees can’t kick but are probably quicker than us. And they’ll have an advantage in the ruck from Gawn.

Changes are hard to preWill silk come back or we’ll give him another week given the s**t ground?

Who replaces Patton? Jeka is pretty green so maybe Hartley?

Don’t need cegs for this game and few others have been poor - eg Scully, hendo etc. Maybe jones gets another chance? Might be last chance for glass - has some pace and good size

Not sold on Morrison but had one of his better games, day should stay in as should Morris. I also wouldn’t be surprised if one of our inside mids was rested - if they do Finn comes in.

I like CJ but with impey and scrim back soon don’t think there’s a spot for him down back unless we shift Hardwick forward or drop stratts. With breust out and ? on silk reckon we try Hardwick forward. Backline footskills will look a bit shaky. While it robs the forward line chad should play up the ground to get into game and provide some class.

Ins: CJ, jones, glass, Hartley, silk
Out: Puopolo, hendo, Scully, Patton, ceglar

Stratts Frawley Frost
Day Sicily CJ
Smith Mitchell Wingard
Gunston TOB Silk
Morris Hartley Hardwick
BB JOM worpel
I: Shiels, Morrison, Glass, Jones

To come back in over next month: scrim, impey, Lewis, breust

Ins: CJ, Impey, Moore, Morris
Out: Puopolo, Patton, Henderson, Jones

Stratts Frawley Frost
Day Sicily CJ
Smith Mitchell Wingard
Gunston TOB Silk
Morris Hartley Hardwick
BB JOM worpel

All our problems are directly related to how forward structure, we've lost all faith going forward and turn the ball over with sideways movement. Need to plonk bigboy at FF until Lewis is back so we least have some sort of target in the 50.

Seriously, sometimes I think I have wandered onto a Carlton Thread!!!

One of our posters on the autopsy thread correctly pointed out that effectively this is just about the same squad that late last year beat Giants in the snow in Canberra and West Coast at home in Perth. This year we touched up Brisbane and Richmond on the MCG.

The sides that will do well this year are the one with continuity in planning preparation and recovery. (More importantly will also have continuity in personnel on the ground) We have had none of this, the same as Richmond and west coast. Watch west coast come home with a wet sail now they are safely back in WA!

Late last year Cegs, Lewis and TOB were all more consistent and showing glimpses! This year Cegs seems to be looking at his opponent at the center bounces rather than just jumping for the ball. I cant remember this occurring last year (happy to be corrected) TOB seems to be a confidence player, he may never reach his potential but with injuries to Lewis and now Patton he will be given every chance to to lift. Lewis was brought back to early in my opinion.

Our mid dynamic has been changed from late last year as well. With Tom Mitchell back in the side, Worps seems to have changed roles or may be having his over due 2nd year blues. The Chad is the x factor we need delivering the ball forward, but with Bruest injured he is need closer to goal.

Clarko rarely makes wholesale changes, so I swould not be surprised if it will be something like this

Out: Patton, Hendo (Carrying a injury I reckon), Poppy (Sorry champ its time)

In: Silk, Finn, Minchington

Hardwick Frawley Stratton

Day Frost Sicily

Smith Mitchell Scully

Morris OBrien Wingard

Gunston McEvoy Worpel

Ceglar OMeara Shiels

Int: Burgoyne, McGinness Morrison, Minchington

Impey and CJ given another week or so to build fitness.

Puopolo, Ceglar, Henderson, Stratton, Scully should not be playing. They will probably all get games again and Morris will go out. A joke if Morris gets dropped. Imagine being a forward in this team with this game plan. I wouldn’t even bring Burgoyne back. The way this year is going that achieves nothing. Play the young guys. I don’t care if they are not ready. I would rather watch young guys having a crack, than these more experienced players not giving a crap. Would love our midfield to put their head over the ball aswell. Never seen a softer Hawks midfield.
Burgoyne is the only player that Consistently wins one on one contests for us at the moment .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ins: CJ, Impey, Moore, Morris
Out: Puopolo, Patton, Henderson, Jones

Stratts Frawley Frost
Day Sicily CJ
Smith Mitchell Wingard
Gunston TOB Silk
Morris Hartley Hardwick
BB JOM worpel

All our problems are directly related to how forward structure, we've lost all faith going forward and turn the ball over with sideways movement. Need to plonk bigboy at FF until Lewis is back so we least have some sort of target in the 50.
CJ can’t play (see a couple of posts on this page) and Jones was not even in the team last night, also I very much doubt they would bring in Impey after one limited hit out.

Going by the normal 2 changes max for Clarko

Out - Patton , Puopolo
In - Burgoyne , Jones

Will be tempted to play Impey but may be worth giving him an extra week .

Need to pressure them and let there poor kicking skills do the rest for us then capatilise. If we dont pressure properly they may run all over us .
Im not confident but we should beat them

Wont be a pretty game

How'd he go today ? I'd be more than tempted, I'd probably do it given they're only 64 minute matches.

I’ve always been in the “do not play Hardwick as a small forward camp” but given our lack of small forwards. What about bringing in Greaves for example and have him take Hardwick’s spot and play Hardwick up forward for a few games?
Like the move of Hardwick forward, provides some toughness aswell

Would advise anyone with serious doubts as to the ability of our playing group to go back and watch round 1.

Poppy and Henderson had zip, Scully and Hanrahan were cracking in and tackling with intent, TOB asserting himself. The whole team oozed belief in what they were doing. That was only about 12 weeks ago... Last night’s performance was not the measure of individual players, but on our teamwork and confidence as a collective.

We can beat the Dees by doing the basics well, and we don’t need to make more nit-picky changes at selection. Everyone in our squad can do the basics.

Was saying to a friend earlier how the only depressing thing is that we’re in the exact same position as this time last year. Outworked in the middle, cant buy a goal up forward. The thing is we already found fixes to these problems, we’ve just lost faith at the minute.

Out - Patton , Puopolo, Henderson
In - Burgoyne , Minchington, Jones

Burgoyne replacing Patton makes our forward line shorter but the tall forward line wasn't working.
Minchington replaces Poppy as a small forward. Poppy is cooked and Minchington has played well in scratch matches.
Henderson hasn't played well since he got hit in the head two games in a row. Needs a break. Jones can play across centre line and is a good contested ball player.

The lack of depth in our wing stocks and small forwards is arguably the greatest concern currently. Sure you drop one of Scully or Henderson and I'd argue both merit being dropped, but how exactly are you replicating the run they provide, or the tackling pressure Puopolo is supposed to? Morris is in his first season so he's not going to be ready for senior footy week in, week out, and there isn't a winger in reserve on the list. Very concerning how it's been allowed to get to this point.

The lack of depth in our wing stocks and small forwards is arguably the greatest concern currently. Sure you drop one of Scully or Henderson and I'd argue both merit being dropped, but how exactly are you replicating the run they provide, or the tackling pressure Puopolo is supposed to? Morris is in his first season so he's not going to be ready for senior footy week in, week out, and there isn't a winger in reserve on the list. Very concerning how it's been allowed to get to this point.
Reckon we need to push wingard up to a wing and also trial scrim there when he’s back to replace Scully and hendo. Might lose a bit of kms but on these narrower grounds and shorter quarters not sure they’ll be a huge difference. Need our outside players to be damaging with the ball and tackle when it’s their turn. Forwards have no chance at present as neither our inside or outside mids are damaging with the ball. If we move wingard our of forward line we should trial Hardwick up forward. CJ and impey can fill their spots down back.

I’d also note Nash when fit can also provide good defensive pressure (but lacks a bit in actually kicking goals) - not a bad swap for Puopolo.

Our smalls will look better when there’s a) better disposal to the forward line and b) our talls stop being out marked (which may be hard to fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back