Preview Round 7, 2020: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 19 July 2020, 3.35pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are the most successful club for a reason. We follow a proven system. We play kids when they are ready. We have strong structures that enable a better team performance from all players that also enables average players to contribute to the team. Does it always work. Of course not has it worked more often than any other club?

Apart from the fact you can’t spell incompetent, that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read on Big Footy
(and that’s saying something)
Thanks for the spelling tip and insult .....you clearly have no idea at the point I was making but thanks for the contribution

Wow you are a complete idiot.

Clarkson has 4 premierships - three of them in row. You've used a keyboard to type on a gorum. Well done you.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
My goodness , you've totally missed the point of what I said ......
Clarko is by far the best coach going ofcourse he has changed the gameplan

Thanks for the spelling tip and insult .....you clearly have no idea at the point I was making but thanks for the contribution
I totally got the point of what you were saying but if you do not think the Hawks game plan has changed since 2016, then you have not been paying attention.

Of course Clarko is and has tinkered with the game plan while dealing with the fact we have gone from a once in a generation team to a middle of the road team (like about 14 others)

The system is designed to punish the successful, and as we all know at some stage we have to pay the price.

Take the other team that has won a 3 Peat this century they have pretty much been a basket case for well over a decade.
I for one have been amazed at Clarko’s ability to change.

So I completely get the point you were trying to make, I just totally disagree with that point.

Last edited:
Again, you haven't answered my question. Please stay on topic.
If u r referring to our structures and game plan i believe that is our biggest advantage. Alas the best plans in the world need players to execute them. We do not have the depth of players and we do prefer the bigger grounds. I have no illusions about our list i have seen everyone of our players play over the years. Youngsters like Jones will get their opportunities if they fill a role in the side.

The wins against the tigers and brisbane have conveniently been swept aside by all the doomsayers. The path to victory has been laid out in front of the players this week. Lets see if they are able to execute

I totally got the point of what you were saying but if you do not think the Hawks game plan has changed since 2016, then you have not been paying attention.
I would suggest you clearly don't . It's clearly changed and ofcourse Clarko isn't incompetent ( happy now ??? ), you missed my point totally and jumped into a petty spelling error pickup followed up by having a go at my intelligence .
Enjoy your evening .

If u r referring to our structures and game plan i believe that is our biggest advantage. Alas the best plans in the world need players to execute them. We do not have the depth of players and we do prefer the bigger grounds. I have no illusions about our list i have seen everyone of our players play over the years. Youngsters like Jones will get their opportunities if they fill a role in the side.

The wins against the tigers and brisbane have conveniently been swept aside by all the doomsayers. The path to victory has been laid out in front of the players this week. Lets see if they are able to execute
You still haven't answered my question, but alas, I'll move forward because I know you know the answer is "no", but you don't want to admit it. (don't respond to this)

Do you think it's possible to reward players playing well at the expense of experienced player not playing well, and still be aiming to win the current game, playing the same game plan? Do you think it's possible to do that while also having eyes on the future? Essentially, if an experienced player is not performing, instead of trying the same old, same old that isn't going to win a premiership, will dropping that experienced player for a young player who has been performing affect the team that much that it changes the team's mindset from wanting to win to thinking they'll lose?

Now, please focus on just answering the questions. They're all yes/no questions. Avoid the philosophical stuff, please. :)

I would suggest you clearly don't . It's clearly changed and ofcourse Clarko isn't incompetent ( happy now ??? ), you missed my point totally and jumped into a petty spelling error pickup followed up by having a go at my intelligence .
Enjoy your evening .
Sure, but you totally missed my point.

Enjoy your evening and let’s hope we are both enjoying our evening tomorrow after a win.

Last edited:

The win against Brisbane feels like a lifetime ago. I bet if we played them tomorrow the result would not be anything close to what it was with the way we have been playing.

You still haven't answered my question, but alas, I'll move forward because I know you know the answer is "no", but you don't want to admit it. (don't respond to this)

Do you think it's possible to reward players playing well at the expense of experienced player not playing well, and still be aiming to win the current game, playing the same game plan? Do you think it's possible to do that while also having eyes on the future? Essentially, if an experienced player is not performing, instead of trying the same old, same old that isn't going to win a premiership, will dropping that experienced player for a young player who has been performing affect the team that much that it changes the team's mindset from wanting to win to thinking they'll lose?

Now, please focus on just answering the questions. They're all yes/no questions. Avoid the philosophical stuff, please. :)
Who says we have players outside the 22 playing well? They aren’t even playing real games. Getting a touch in a scratch match with 12-14 players isn’t really anything but a glorified training run.

if you play too many kids the training age of the squad falls, the experience falls and the cohesion falls. That is going to lead to more errors and more losses. you don’t think that will lead to a fall in expectations?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then we'd want to start playing a whole lot better, and quick. Our percentage suggests we are miles away from it currently.
I reckon Clarko's had a look. I see that out of 6 games our game plan has only worked effectively in 2-3 of them, and I see that he's making adjustments at selection.

In relation to his leadership, are you basing that on what you see on telly and your interpretation of that or do you have some inside knowledge and grumblings from within the club?
He’s right. When Cegs plays well, we win.

Just need him playing well in more games.
He could start by actually watching the ball at centre bounces and jumping, rather than watching his opponent whilst firmly rooted to the ground.

Who says we have players outside the 22 playing well? They aren’t even playing real games. Getting a touch in a scratch match with 12-14 players isn’t really anything but a glorified training run.

if you play too many kids the training age of the squad falls, the experience falls and the cohesion falls. That is going to lead to more errors and more losses. you don’t think that will lead to a fall in expectations?
Unfortunately it's the only form we can use. I agree with you though.

The mindset can be changed. The players would be pretty cluey as to where the list stands. Their body language out on the field is showing that. I believe the squad's mindset can be changed to try new players who are deserving (as opposed to the Melb/Carlton approach of playing kids for the sake of it) with the approach of still aiming to win with eyes on the future. Playing different players can also lead to new ideas and new and improved structures. E.g. Shiels playing a more outside role while he's playing injured/sore. (Your idea, which i agree with)

Currently, only our defensive structure is good. Midfield's is okay, but breaks down against good teams switched on. And the forward structure has been fubar for quite a few years. Its why we don't look likely once we get down.

The current selected players are making heaps of errors and the cohesion is questionable, especially away from the G. Trying deserving youth players won't change much and there's a good chance that after a handful of games, they'll have adapted to the speed and their errors will lessen.

Continually going to the same dry well will occassionally bring you water, but not enough to sustain you. Same thing here. Going to the same 'dry' players may occassionally bring success, but not enough to 'sustain' a premiership

I too have my reservations about Stratton as captain and mostly agree with many comments raised. But we must remember that he has taken the reins of Hodge who is arguably one of Hawthorns best Captains in history. Hodge also captained a magnificent team whereas Stratts has been given the leadership of a declining one. It’s been a tough gig.
Agree with all those points and comparisons. But he is a poor captain. Get the sense he won a popularity contest, note a vote for captain.

JOM next please.

Agree with all those points and comparisons. But he is a poor captain. Get the sense he won a popularity contest, note a vote for captain.

JOM next please.
I would be shocked if anyone else gets it.

Credits should be well and truly run out for the premiership players.

McEvoy is really the only premiership player that has enhanced or maintained their performance since.

If he gets it i would say he has earnt it but not anyone else.

I cringed when just before the bounce of our game against Collingwood, Stratton was 'pushed' into the huddle by a team-mate , pointed to one of them and was laughing... then the very next camera shot, showed Pendlbury in the middle of his huddle addressing all his troops and looking serious.

We'll never know what each was saying and why, but I just noticed that right before the first bounce and didn't like it. Maybe Stratts does his 'chat' or motivational chat, or reminding players of what's expected or whatever, in the rooms. I'll never know.

Obviously some like it, and that's ok, but I didn't.
I don't claim to know what kind of leader Stratton is on field or off. I know he isn't as good a media performer like Smith, Sheils, O'meara, McEvoy, Mitchell, Gunston, Wingard. Which is one role of a captain but not a vital one.

But, i do know that his current performance as a player is not good enough to warrant selection and hasn't been for a while.

I have been a huge Stratton fan since the early meme filled threads. He was one of my very favourites and in 2018 was magnificent.

But he is not playing well now.

As a captain we can question him from the outside but we don't really know. If he was playing well it wouldn't be brought up.

If we were winning and he was still playing poorly it wouldn't be brought up.

JOM next please.

I think Mitchell would make a great captain in my opinion. He’s the kind of player who would thrive with the added responsibility.

I’m 100% of the same view here. I’m not saying play the kids because they “need” to play for future success or whatever...
I’m playing kids to replace Poppy who couldn’t catch COVID atm or dropping Stratts because he shouldn’t be playing as of last year in my book and he’s not best 22, mixing it up when Scully and Hendo are way off atm.
It’s not rocket science and yes, there have been kids introduced, we have injuries and they will return. When that happens it should not be at the expense of guys like Day if he continues or Morrison if he can maintain the same level or better from the pies game.
It’s a balancing act,sure. But if the guys mentioned above aren’t performing and they aren’t the future... make selections to suit.

Watching the GC play Rankin, Anderson ect is pretty cool and exciting. The tigers played a few newbies and are more exciting for it.

Clarko said that these veterans deliver on and off the field and that Poppy is right up there. I’m sure that these guys won’t mind moving over if one of the kids they are mentoring can make there mark over a couple of games.

Knowing that there will be another tldr tangent that SLB shoots off at next, please answer it like a politician or just not at all TheFourPillars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back