Preview Round 7, 2020: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 19 July 2020, 3.35pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just scrolling through this thread thinking I was going to raise the question about Stratton being given the captaincy and how that has gone.

Now i've seen the article and all the other comments. With all the pinching and smiling and all that other rubbish, I really think we made the wrong call.

It was players that voted him in right? Never felt right to me

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mcevoy first ruck and when Nash is fit play forward second ruck (let him create carnage in and around the ball). Jones in for Scully (need a big name scalp), Finn in for Hendo, Jeka in for Patton. When Howe fit he tags best mid from opp plus he is our hardest player, we need to get back being unsociable

Mcevoy first ruck and when Nash is fit play forward second ruck (let him create carnage in and around the ball). Jones in for Scully (need a big name scalp), Finn in for Hendo, Jeka in for Patton. When Howe fit he tags best mid from opp plus he is our hardest player, we need to get back being unsociable
Considering our two genuine key forwards are both injured/under a cloud I wouldn't mind Nash and Jeka coming in to get some height back.
Jeka/Lewis for Patton and Nash for Poppy- would be exciting!

Imo, Stratton was our worst defender is he safe because he is captain?
He dropped one sitter which cost a goal but Apart from that Was he really that terrible? Down back we lack run and good disposal. Playing McEvoy down there, together with the loss of scrimshaw, has been a disaster for our rebound. None of Stratton, McEvoy, frost or Frawley can take an aggressive kick. Sicily is good when he’s on and Hardwick is solid. Henderson used to be good but now he never plays on, just holds us up. He’s been my biggest disappointment this year, alongside the mcevoy move.

Backing should look like this,

Hawdwick, frawley , Sicilian

Day, frost , impy

I'm worried about Statton... in his days was our best defender, I think the game is past him.

Pretty good, but I doubt Impey will be ready, scrimshaw instead. Stratton on the bench to send a message

The back line we had last night was way to tall and pies made us look soo slow

“Apart from the pinching issue … this time last year, when is the most memorable moment that Ben Stratton has had? When has there been a time when the game is on the lime that he does something courageous or lifts his team?

I mean I know Cornes is a sensationalist and many disagree with Stratton as captain but come on...

Was probably responsible for two consecutive prelim wins
I think he's asking when Stratton has done it as a Captain.

Cornes is a jerk, but I found it hard to disagree with him. Stratton isn't a Captain's a-hole.

As for the game plan he's right. I see Hodge has said it doesn't work on skinny grounds. That's not an acceptable game plan then.

He dropped one sitter which cost a goal but Apart from that Was he really that terrible? Down back we lack run and good disposal. Playing McEvoy down there, together with the loss of scrimshaw, has been a disaster for our rebound. None of Stratton, McEvoy, frost or Frawley can take an aggressive kick. Sicily is good when he’s on and Hardwick is solid. Henderson used to be good but now he never plays on, just holds us up. He’s been my biggest disappointment this year, alongside the mcevoy move.
Just to clear one thing up I never said he was "Terrible".

I also noticed a really poor spoil that didn't kill the ball and was picked up for a goal.
Disregarding those defensive efforts out of Frawley, Frost and Stratton I think Stratton has been the worst offensively all year.

A combination of the 2 is why I think he has been our worst, just my opinion though.

The lack of depth in our wing stocks and small forwards is arguably the greatest concern currently. Sure you drop one of Scully or Henderson and I'd argue both merit being dropped, but how exactly are you replicating the run they provide, or the tackling pressure Puopolo is supposed to? Morris is in his first season so he's not going to be ready for senior footy week in, week out, and there isn't a winger in reserve on the list. Very concerning how it's been allowed to get to this point.
I'd play Frost on the wing.

It would be carnage - pace to burn, would steamroll players as he went full stick.

On the Stratton thing, I'm all for him being dropped. If, sorry, IF the club wants to make a statement, then drop the captain and these other passengers and start investing in our kids....Scrim, Day, Morris, Finn etc.

Reckon you should rewatch the passage of play before you comment next time. Moore had left Chad to go to Jack, Wingard had a run at the open goal square with a much easier shot. I don’t think it was a big deal and I don’t hold it against him, but do I think it’s unlike Gunston, who has always been selfless to a fault in front of goal.

I agree, but I’m talking about ability, not form. We’ve lost form, and it’s recoverable.
How about you check the footage?
At the time Gunston decides to shoot the three players are next to each other with another pie in hot pursuit. You won’t see the goal square come into view before the last shot and there are two pies and a hawk in the same shot. Probably Moore forces wingard into a worse shot for goal than chad with the added risk of a disposal at pace.
B3142C71-672A-4E69-8A21-1F6A1F0137B6.png
BE1F3D3F-8C5D-4E17-B2D3-E5F548B6B4DC.png
36F06289-5AEA-47CD-B0A8-3BD69CD2FE0F.png
E765DB4A-6AE0-44C3-80BD-D9530ED5F032.png

How about you check the footage?
At the time Gunston decides to shoot the three players are next to each other with another pie in hot pursuit. You won’t see the goal square come into view before the last shot and there are two pies and a hawk in the same shot. Probably Moore forces wingard into a worse shot for goal than chad with the added risk of a disposal at pace.
View attachment 910769
View attachment 910771
View attachment 910770
View attachment 910772
Nailed it. Chad was never in a better spot. Gunston summed it up perfectly and furthermore, kicked the goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Lewis and Scrimmers are still unavailable.

Out: Patts, Morris and Morrison

In: Lewis, Burgers and Jones
So Morrison plays better than 90% of his team mates and he goes straight out again.

Also probably shouldn't put Lewis in if you're assuming he's still out injured

I couldn't give a rat's toss bag about what Cornes says. He can keep his opinions to himself. I will back Stratton in.

Cornes' piece on Stratts' captaincy surely comes directly from a trawl through these BF pages looking for a Hawks'-related issue to talk about. No way is Stratts' captaincy an issue beyond these pages.

This might surprise some people but there is a world outside of Bigfooty.

Question marks over his captaincy have been going on pretty much since he was announced captain and amplified with the pinching debacle last year. It's only popping up again because our poor performances are in the spotlight and even blind freddy can see we are lacking leadership on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back