Unofficial Preview Round 7, 2020: Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seasons done, let’s have a good look at all the untried players and players with 50/50 job security next year.
those who’ll be moved on and have no currency don’t pick them again.
List cloggers out for good,
All fit and untried talent in.

wins are irrelevant, but understanding what we have on the list most important so we can go into next year with a clear idea of where we are headed and with what cattle.
delist the players who we know don’t have what it takes.

I agree totally. I think one of the problems we had last week was Aliir out and we had no talls at all, except McLean. Team balance is important. Now we drop McLean and bring in Sinclair and McCartin. I think McLean and McCartin can play in the same forward line. The new interpretation of the holding, blocking and pushing rules do not suit smaller players playing on talls. Rampe is at a huge disadvantage now and it is obvious. He is being penalised far more often. Time to bite the bullet there and put him on a back flank with two tall backs instead of him playing a key position. In the twos he was a fantastic flanker. He gave lots of drive and was unbeatable. In his first season in the seniors he played there too and was really good. Before the interpretation changes he was a wonderful key defender too. But now that has changed due to the new interpretation and he is always going to be at a huge disadvantage.

I think these players need to be put on notice. Harry,he has been poor for some weeks now. Clarke, mainly due to bad decision making and skill errors. O'Riordan, he is like a rabbit in the headlights on the small forwards. he seems to be always out of position. Blakey improved last week and was serviceable. But he needs to ALWAYS do the team thing not just sometimes. Twice last week he decided individual effort was better than the team. In each situation the result was in the negative. There were players in a better position to goal and he had a wild shot at goal and then on a second occasion instead of passing off he went for the long kick and run which was always going to be picked off as Richmond had four players waiting down the line.

I thought our inclusions from last week were very good under crap coaching. I can't wait to get a look at Elijiah Taylor. Maybe we can play some semblance of attacking footy Horse so he actually gets the chance to kick a few. After all if the ball is 78% in the opposition forward line there is verty little chance of scoring. I mean Richmond are not very good extractors and they start most attacks at HB. I hope at some stage Horse will see fit to play Gould. I think he will be good for our back line.

I am hopeful this week but not confident. If we play that terrible negative footy horse had them playing last week, we will get flogged, because Stewie knows Horse's negating tactics so well. He will counter by playing man on man and Horse will be out-coached. So if we do go negative we are going to be in trouble. What's more the Suns mids are better at extracting from centre bounces and stoppages than most teams. We will not have time to set up a flood. They score from centre clearances.

I think Warner, Papley, Florent and Rowbottom will have far more minutes in the mids with Joey out. With Elijiah Taylor coming into the forward line that still gives us that dangerous small forward if Papley is in the mids.

It’s either him or McCartin and I know which one I’d prefer in the side. McCartin can also go back if need be

Sinclair is back too and whilst he’s not a great ruckman he’s better than him.

You don’t just play a tall for the sake of it.

Why is it either him or McCartin? When Buddy and Reid come back you know it will be Buddy, Reid, McCartin and Blakey.

I'd actually take McLean over McCartin and Sinclair atm.

It’s either him or McCartin and I know which one I’d prefer in the side. McCartin can also go back if need be

Sinclair is back too and whilst he’s not a great ruckman he’s better than him.

You don’t just play a tall for the sake of it.

That is silly. Why does it have to be either him or McCartin? We have gone very small. The smallest we have ever played in our history in Sydney relative to the average player sizes in different eras. All teams, even Richmond, generally play TWO tall forwards NOT one. If Reid had have been ready he would have played no doubt about that. Both Reid and McCartin would have played forward.

As much as I've been sick of Cunningham in the past, I think he's actually a very good back pocket lockdown defender. He's doing a great job of it this year. His performances, imo, leave him well beyond being lumped in with Gray, Taylor etc. as under-performing fringe guys now. I just really hope they persist with him there and don't try to turn him into a midfielder/wingman again (he can tag on a wing well but he's not going to be an offensive threat).

Is there some way we can get points deducted?

In fact there are several ways a team can have points deducted.

1. Go over the salary cap. We have not done this

2. Have too many players on the field and lose all your score in a game. If it is in the early part of the game it would not matter too much in this time. But after half time it would mean losing the match with shortened quarters.

3. Play and unregistered player

4. put the whole team on a doping program

5. Have coaches or officials enter the field of play during the match. This wopuld automatically do either of two things. A grade one incursion, multiple officials and coaches is a forfeit of the game. grade two a coach or official enters the field of play while the game is in motion is a loss of all score up to that stage

6. Do not pick enough players to play the game. In other words pick only 17 players so you cannot fill all positions on the field. The match is forfeit

Are they enough? There are more

Bell would be a wasted selection. I say keep COR in. He really doesn't do a lot wrong, defensively I think he's got a lot better and I still think having he and Stoddart in the same team should mean Hayward doesn't have to stay back.

Really don't get the point of Hayward back there, I see nothing that will suggest he'll be a point of difference in that role. If it was to get him out of his slump as a forward, well job done, get him back in the forward line where he can actually help us.

Why would Bell be a wasted selection? His form in the scratch matches has been super. Either BOG or close in two matches. The last two. COR has been crap and does not have a clue how to play on small forwards. He gets scored on far to easily.

Why is it either him or McCartin? When Buddy and Reid come back you know it will be Buddy, Reid, McCartin and Blakey.

I'd actually take McLean over McCartin and Sinclair atm.

You’d take McLean over Sinclair in the ruck? I don’t rate Sinkers much but that is ridiculous.

You don’t just play a bloke just because they are tall. Sinkers can go forward anyway when AA chops out in the ruck.

That is silly. Why does it have to be either him or McCartin? We have gone very small. The smallest we have ever played in our history in Sydney relative to the average player sizes in different eras. All teams, even Richmond, generally play TWO tall forwards NOT one. If Reid had have been ready he would have played no doubt about that. Both Reid and McCartin would have played forward.

You seen the weather mate? Wet weather is predicted today and tomorrow. We need less talks not more tomorrow.

Why would Bell be a wasted selection? His form in the scratch matches has been super. Either BOG or close in two matches. The last two. COR has been crap and does not have a clue how to play on small forwards. He gets scored on far to easily.

Because Bell isn't much. Doesn't have the composure or awareness to play midfield. It would be like playing two Ryan Clarkes.

You’d take McLean over Sinclair in the ruck? I don’t rate Sinkers much but that is ridiculous.

You don’t just play a bloke just because they are tall. Sinkers can go forward anyway when AA chops out in the ruck.

Yeah I would. This year is a development year as is your campaign slogan. Why are we developing all youngsters in every position other than full forward or even second ruck?

Yeah I would. This year is a development year as is your campaign slogan. Why are we developing all youngsters in every position other than full forward or even second ruck?

He’s not a ruck. McCartin is coming in to develop anyway.

Correct, McLean is a forward. So why can't he stay inside 50 and get a multitude of opportunities to develop like McCartin, Blakey, Hayward etc get?

All 3 of those are better that’s why. Hayward is playing back anyway and he’s been good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they?

As I said McLean's had the better year than McCartin so far off the same number of games. And don't even get me started on Blakey atm.

Yes they are and McCartin can go back if need be. Whether you like it or not all 3 are higher rated and rightly so.

He’ll get another opportunity anyway

Because Bell isn't much. Doesn't have the composure or awareness to play midfield. It would be like playing two Ryan Clarkes.

Being a unfair to Clarke there! I know you don’t rate him which is fine but he is a far superior player to Bell in my mind.

That may say even less about Bell given Clarke is a fringe AFL player.

Being a unfair to Clarke there! I know you don’t rate him which is fine but he is a far superior player to Bell in my mind.

That may say even less about Bell given Clarke is a fringe AFL player.

I'd have them on par in terms of how they use it. Clarke finds it a lot more, which makes him even worse than Bell, so I have to disagree!

I've liked Cunningham as a small defender who mostly locks down but can also go on the odd run. He's got that pace, he just doesn't use it much.

in a good side he is the 21/22 guy picked and does a solid job, he is a handy player

the lineup tomorrow has by my count only 3 players who dont belong on a list and are wasted selections, the rest we need to look at

mclean should play imo though is the main complaint

COR, Stoddart and Clarke are your three I'm guessing?

Hayward and Blakey we don't need to look at. Seen enough of them to know they are horribly out of form and should be in the scratch matches.

COR, Stoddart and Clarke are your three I'm guessing?

Hayward and Blakey we don't need to look at. Seen enough of them to know they are horribly out of form and should be in the scratch matches.

thats a second argument dropping players in shocking form, but fine blakey and hayward are young so i get to a point leaving them in, but yeah lucky

thats a second argument dropping players in shocking form, but fine blakey and hayward are young so i get to a point leaving them in, but yeah lucky

Yeah leave them in... up to a certain point. When it reaches the point where you are changing positions they've played their entire juniors and early years, then that's probably the time to drop them. Sick of losing quality players to defence as part of their development. We already know how this works. We've seen this exercise over and over with Horse. Mills, Dawson, Lloyd, Cunningham. They all go back there, they never come back. Now he's got Hayward back there and there was some in the media saying Blakey should go back there too. McCartin will probably be thrown back if he doesn't start kicking bags soon.

I wish it had something to do with youth but that's BS and a cop-out for Horse. There are some on our list - Aliir, COR, McLean, Melican, even ******* Dawson last year, who only need to have one ordinary game and that gets them dropped. While others - like Hayward, Blakey and Florent - can be bang ordinary for as long as they like and their spot is secure. Then there's those who are given debuts on a whim - McInerney, Stephens, Warner, Taylor - while others, like Wicks and Foot, are relegated to the scrap-heap despite offering a year's more experience and a year's worth of runs on the board. Hope Rowbottom's on Horse's nice list not his naughty list or he'll be out the first bad game he has.

Horse has always had his favourites - McVeigh, Reid, Rohan - but it's really hurting us now because we have a young list and can't afford to be gifting games to kids who should not be at the level.

Sorry that was a rant. Frustrated.

Yeah leave them in... up to a certain point. When it reaches the point where you are changing positions they've played their entire juniors and early years, then that's probably the time to drop them. Sick of losing quality players to defence as part of their development. We already know how this works. We've seen this exercise over and over with Horse. Mills, Dawson, Lloyd, Cunningham. They all go back there, they never come back. Now he's got Hayward back there and there was some in the media saying Blakey should go back there too. McCartin will probably be thrown back if he doesn't start kicking bags soon.

I wish it had something to do with youth but that's BS and a cop-out for Horse. There are some on our list - Aliir, COR, McLean, Melican, even ******* Dawson last year, who only need to have one ordinary game and that gets them dropped. While others - like Hayward, Blakey and Florent - can be bang ordinary for as long as they like and their spot is secure. Then there's those who are given debuts on a whim - McInerney, Stephens, Warner, Taylor - while others, like Wicks and Foot, are relegated to the scrap-heap despite offering a year's more experience and a year's worth of runs on the board. Hope Rowbottom's on Horse's nice list not his naughty list or he'll be out the first bad game he has.

Horse has always had his favourites - McVeigh, Reid, Rohan - but it's really hurting us now because we have a young list and can't afford to be gifting games to kids who should not be at the level.

Sorry that was a rant. Frustrated.

i dont disagree , i guess id rather see blakey given an extended run than some 30 year old
but i wonder how good for development it is to reward lazy footy

i dont disagree , i guess id rather see blakey given an extended run than some 30 year old
but i wonder how good for development it is to reward lazy footy

It's not good at all. Gets them into bad habits, sends the rest of the players a bad message, could lead to disenfranchisement if a player feels he's being sold short while Blakey gets to prance around like a show-pony. Also when you have a bloke who is a liability, that doesn't help the team win, which punishes everyone.

For the record I rate Blakey a lot. I think he has all the makings of being the freak he teased us with last year. But he will never access those abilities if he's floundering at a level that's above where he's at at the minute. Same as Hayward. This is a guy who was the 11th fastest bloke to 50 career goals. Obviously there is ability there, he was just out of form. But instead of dropping him, letting him go back to the reserves to just work on the parts of his game that are letting him down, and then come back with more confidence, Horse moves him to the back-line, where he's doing just enough to keep his spot. So he keeps fronting up week in, week out, in defence, being an okay defender but doing nothing to improve his forward craft. How the **** is that good for development?

I am seething I'm going to eat a grapefruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back