Unofficial Preview Round 7, 2020: Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't say it's impacting his form.

He's one of our best players so of course he is going to cop it a lot. Also some of his injuries are completely random. Missed the 2017 pre-season with glandular fever. Missed the 2020 pre-season with a broken thumb. It's not like they're recurring knee or groin issues.

Him missing this year may prove a blessing in disguise though as it forces Horse to give his body a rest he might otherwise not have had.
Yeah, we've asked a lot of him practically since he debuted.
Lewis Taylor has 3 years and we traded for him

Gray is just some punt at a spare player
In fairness, Lewis Taylor should be in the team IMO. Was skeptical early, but looked one of our more dangerous forwards for mine.

I'm fine with Mills in the backline. IMO he can be one of the best defenders in the game playing the Luke Hodge-esque role he played last week. Ideally he should be able to come off his man/play as a spare and control the backline.

He could be a gun midfielder, but I think the obsession with turning him into one is becoming a bit tiresome. Hodge could have played midfield for the Hawks too - so what? He was better in the backline.

Yeah, we've asked a lot of him practically since he debuted.

In fairness, Lewis Taylor should be in the team IMO. Was skeptical early, but looked one of our more dangerous forwards for mine.

maybe if theres a bbq chook in the fwd line

Yeah leave them in... up to a certain point. When it reaches the point where you are changing positions they've played their entire juniors and early years, then that's probably the time to drop them. Sick of losing quality players to defence as part of their development. We already know how this works. We've seen this exercise over and over with Horse. Mills, Dawson, Lloyd, Cunningham. They all go back there, they never come back. Now he's got Hayward back there and there was some in the media saying Blakey should go back there too. McCartin will probably be thrown back if he doesn't start kicking bags soon.

I wish it had something to do with youth but that's BS and a cop-out for Horse. There are some on our list - Aliir, COR, McLean, Melican, even ******* Dawson last year, who only need to have one ordinary game and that gets them dropped. While others - like Hayward, Blakey and Florent - can be bang ordinary for as long as they like and their spot is secure. Then there's those who are given debuts on a whim - McInerney, Stephens, Warner, Taylor - while others, like Wicks and Foot, are relegated to the scrap-heap despite offering a year's more experience and a year's worth of runs on the board. Hope Rowbottom's on Horse's nice list not his naughty list or he'll be out the first bad game he has.

Horse has always had his favourites - McVeigh, Reid, Rohan - but it's really hurting us now because we have a young list and can't afford to be gifting games to kids who should not be at the level.

Sorry that was a rant. Frustrated.

I agree. I also know some of the players from the Roos maxfield era are starting to become concerned that players are no longer accountable for their performance and are not earning their debuts.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it possible that McLean can play KPD. Good athletic, strong body, good hands. Spreads well while in back 50.
Any views?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Is it possible that McLean can play KPD. Good athletic, strong body, good hands. Spreads well while in back 50.
Any views?

I think he played there a bit previously in country or SA - but might lack the mobility to take on AFL bigs who are both big and agile.
He might go fine against Patton types.
I'd rather have him forward and McCartin back atm.

I hope they give this forward outfit a crack next week.

E Taylor.....Dawson.....Papley
Parker....McLean....Wicks

Any views?

Nope. He is a natural forward. Knows how to use his body, has smarts in terms of leading patterns, and can really crack in to win the pill. He's exactly what we need inside 50, and he should be playing this week over Blakey and McCartin.

Nope. He is a natural forward. Knows how to use his body, has smarts in terms of leading patterns, and can really crack in to win the pill. He's exactly what we need inside 50, and he should be playing this week over Blakey and McCartin.
Knowing that a lot of games are coming up with short breaks in between, and knowing that in the last few weeks McLean has had to do a lot of rucking without much in the way of support, I suspect this week was seen as an opportunity to give him a bit of needed rest. All clubs are going to have to start "resting" players in rotation over the next couple of months in order to keep players fresh enough.

Knowing that a lot of games are coming up with short breaks in between, and knowing that in the last few weeks McLean has had to do a lot of rucking without much in the way of support, I suspect this week was seen as an opportunity to give him a bit of needed rest. All clubs are going to have to start "resting" rather than dropping players over the next couple of months in order to keep players fresh enough.

As I said in an earlier post, if that's the case, then good. I look forward to seeing him line-up next week.

As it so happens I don't think that is the case. I think he's third in line behind McCartin and Blakey and so they are being selected over him despite having the lesser form.

I hope you are right, and I am the one that's wrong.

Yeah leave them in... up to a certain point. When it reaches the point where you are changing positions they've played their entire juniors and early years, then that's probably the time to drop them. Sick of losing quality players to defence as part of their development. We already know how this works. We've seen this exercise over and over with Horse. Mills, Dawson, Lloyd, Cunningham. They all go back there, they never come back. Now he's got Hayward back there and there was some in the media saying Blakey should go back there too. McCartin will probably be thrown back if he doesn't start kicking bags soon.

"They all go back there, they never come back" Reg, Ted, Leo, Smiffy, Macca. So many good players shoved into defence, and for what ? :rolleyes:

Every champion team starts with a champion defence. Mills made the state of origin team as a defender. LLoyd won a B&F as a defender. Even Hayward has shown more in defence than he's shown forward. All teams do this. They identify defenders, with many coming from the forward line. Sometimes it goes the other way.

As for favourites. Dare I suggest that you're the one who may have the bias, based on a limited and somewhat subjective view of a player's performance, a narrow assessment of the playing group, a restricted knowledge of player roles, injury concerns or the objectives set out for their personal development and their development within the team structure.

Logic suggests that a professional coach, a team of selectors and a bunch of assistants who monitor every player against their game roles and targets, who are furnished with a mountain of data to analyse and digest on everything from fitness to stamina to running patterns, energy usage, recovery rates etc etc, would perhaps have a more objective assessment of players than you might.

Just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"They all go back there, they never come back" Reg, Ted, Leo, Smiffy, Macca. So many good players shoved into defence, and for what ? :rolleyes:

Every champion team starts with a champion defence. Mills made the state of origin team as a defender. LLoyd won a B&F as a defender. Even Hayward has shown more in defence than he's shown forward. All teams do this. They identify defenders, with many coming from the forward line. Sometimes it goes the other way.

As for favourites. Dare I suggest that you're the one who may have the bias, based on a limited and somewhat subjective view of a player's performance, a narrow assessment of the playing group, a restricted knowledge of player roles, injury concerns or the objectives set out for their personal development and their development within the team structure.

Logic suggests that a professional coach, a team of selectors and a bunch of assistants who monitor every player against their game roles and targets, who are furnished with a mountain of data to analyse and digest on everything from fitness to stamina to running patterns, energy usage, recovery rates etc etc, would perhaps have a more objective assessment of players than you might.

Just a thought.

Build a great defence at what cost ? Horse has sacrificed players who could help our midfield (biggest weakness) to help the defence instead. Horse has also shown he'd rather develop guys in defence out of position than in the reserves in position.

Also, why are you on this board if all opinions on here are meaningless because we're not professionals?

Build a great defence at what cost ? Horse has sacrificed players who could help our midfield (biggest weakness) to help the defence instead. Horse has also shown he'd rather develop guys in defence out of position than in the reserves in position.

Also, why are you on this board if all opinions on here are meaningless because we're not professionals?

to teach us mate

Not sure if this is a good thing or not tbh...

the tweet is interesting

havent seen stephens enough yet but rowbottom my early favourite

Agreed.

Not sure I like that the club posted it, kinda feels like giving the team an out.

been doing it for a while , fans like it,

cant wheel buddy out much at the moment, kind of makes me think its why blakey cant be dropped

been doing it for a while , fans like it,

cant wheel buddy out much at the moment, kind of makes me think its why blakey cant be dropped

Yeah but it's a bit cringe. I'm as big a fan as anyone of our youth, but most of those nine have not exactly blown my socks off this year. Three are debutants, Stoddart hasn't shown much at senior level, Blakey and Hayward lucky to be in the side. If they were all going great guns then it'd make sense hyping up the young bloods.

Yeah but it's a bit cringe. I'm as big a fan as anyone of our youth, but most of those nine have not exactly blown my socks off this year. Three are debutants, Stoddart hasn't shown much at senior level, Blakey and Hayward lucky to be in the side. If they were all going great guns then it'd make sense hyping up the young bloods.
They are doing it because they are trying to convey a feeling of hope. All supporters will support their club if they feel its going in the right direction. Hope sells memberships and sponsorships.

They are doing it because they are trying to convey a feeling of hope. All supporters will support their club if they feel its going in the right direction. Hope sells memberships and sponsorships.

Then show more Mills, Papley etc guys who have actually had good years.

Then show more Mills, Papley etc guys who have actually had good years.

just show us the selections, the good play, bit of training and forget the excuses. the side is s**t , so what, fans arent jumping s**t if they are actual fans

just show us the selections, the good play, bit of training and forget the excuses. the side is sh*t , so what, fans arent jumping sh*t if they are actual fans

I dunno, I don't mind embracing the rebuild it's the reason we are where we are. But just seems weird to be pumping up a handful of kids who are yet to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back