Unofficial Preview Round 7, 2020: Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
off topic but can we fix kicking out again
shouldn't be able to play on, shouldnt even be able to kick to self and play on, make them kick out
I always thought there should be a 25 or 30 metre arc. Free kick if it doesn't travel the distance from foot and no excuses.

My guess is no new debutants as nothing announced tonight (in the past (pre-cpvid) seems to family a chance to get to the game).
Stephens - yes and Warner - likely - starters this week

I am not sure what the best approach is with our young reserve players over the next 11 games.

Whether we look to give Stephens, Warner and Stoddart a run of games.

Or we spread the opportunities out so that everyone gets 1-2 games.

=-----=
We have got 11 young players yet to debut. (Gould, Taylor, Maibaum, Ling, Foot, Wicks, Amartey, Knoll, Reynolds, Rowles and O'Connor.) As well as Bell who has only played a few games.

Last edited:
Horse needs to watch footage of Lewis Jetta kicking in for West Coast, then he can really see what you can achieve with a kick-out that can go beyond 55 metres. Dawson or Rampe are the very obvious candidates here. Why he doesn't use them more is beyond me. Given basically the only way we score goals the last few years is from rebounding from defensive 50, having someone who can clear said defensive 50 with one kick would be a no-brainer you would think.
West Coast have Darling/Kennedy/Nic Nat and multiple other tall options to kick the ball too.... who do you suggest we kick it to?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

West Coast have Darling/Kennedy/Nic Nat and multiple other tall options to kick the ball too.... who do you suggest we kick it to?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'm talking less about now given the circumstances, and more about in general. It's been the case for about three years now that we opt for the conservative, stagnant option in defence rather than the longer, more direct option.

But even the other day there were a few options when we had a loose at the centre square, and instead of going for the long pass to that option, we blatantly ignored it in favour of a short target.

Wouldn't bother with Lewis Taylor til he gets in touch with Jenny Craig.

E. Taylor would surely bring more to our forward 50 than Gray currently is.

And Foot or Wicks, don't care who but they'd both probably do better at HF than Warner (not a knock on the kid though, he went alright)
Those comments suggest Taylor has only just reached fitness for a full game after working hard on it. It'd be pretty brave call to put him in...but goals is goals I suppose and we could use some of them. Would love to see him, but might be a few weeks yet. Gray into the mids and Taylor on would make for a real interesting game day. Though Wicks would be pretty pissed off after doing well for longer.

You can assume the debutants this week will come from the commented players from Laidler. With our two big outs already, we may not get any other changes. E Taylor looks most likely. If Mills to midfield Gould might be firming. However I think we see only 1 debut this week

McInerney is looking like an unlucky miss without any other real moves. Maybe Warner out McInerney in however I am not keen to give a young bloke 1 week only, I think you need to see what he learnt from last week and keep him in.. I cant see us dropping experienced players even though there is definitely a need.

As it looks to me and depending on Brand fitness, you might just get the forced outs:

Heeney, Kennedy out
Foot, Brand in

This will keep Parker in the middle where the experience and toughness will certainly be needed.

Sinclair is a bit of a wild card, if he comes in does McLean stay or get a rest? With all of the injuries, the team selection is very intriguing right now, probably the most interesting part of the whole week.
Brand is listed as two weeks now unfortunately. Think it highly likely two ins are Sinkers and McCartin, or AA.

Those comments suggest Taylor has only just reached fitness for a full game after working hard on it. It'd be pretty brave call to put him in...but goals is goals I suppose and we could use some of them. Would love to see him, but might be a few weeks yet. Gray into the mids and Taylor on would make for a real interesting game day. Though Wicks would be pretty pissed off after doing well for longer.

Wicks is at risk of becoming one of the best players to have never played for us. If he's delisted this year without getting a game I'll be seething.

At half time our forward huddle seemed to be Papley, Heeney, Dawson, Gray, Blakey, Stoddart and Warner. (From Longmire's comments it seemed that Parker was initially meant to play forward. So maybe they had to move Stoddart there when Kennedy got hurt.)

So I think there are natural opportunities in our forward line for Foot, Wicks and Taylor.

Heeney is injured for the rest of the season. Warner/Stoddart are probably not natural forwards. Ronke is injured. Hayward is playing in defence. So there could be a spot for one of the young forwards to come in and play a role.

Wicks is at risk of becoming one of the best players to have never played for us. If he's delisted this year without getting a game I'll be seething.
It might be a case of giving the debutantes and Stoddart a couple of games before then giving Wicks and McInerney (for example) a couple. I can live with that if it's the plan.

Horse needs to watch footage of Lewis Jetta kicking in for West Coast, then he can really see what you can achieve with a kick-out that can go beyond 55 metres. Dawson or Rampe are the very obvious candidates here. Why he doesn't use them more is beyond me. Given basically the only way we score goals the last few years is from rebounding from defensive 50, having someone who can clear said defensive 50 with one kick would be a no-brainer you would think.
Because of their marking ability we need Rampe and Dawson as targets for the kick-in instead of taking the kick. Just about any of our players can take a kick in but not all of them can take a contested mark.

It might be a case of giving the debutantes and Stoddart a couple of games before then giving Wicks and McInerney (for example) a couple. I can live with that if it's the plan.

Yeah, well I would've played Wicks last week instead of Warner.

I'm also not sure what the concept of 2 weeks in for a few kids, then 2 weeks in for different kids achieves. How will they ever be able to prove themselves if they're not getting a consistent run?

Because of their marking ability we need Rampe and Dawson as targets for the kick-in instead of taking the kick. Just about any of our players can take a kick in but not all of them can take a contested mark.

Do Rampe and Dawson ever take contested marks from kick-ins? They are 10th and 11th in contested marks for us, so if we're using them as targets instead of as the users then we're just wasting our own time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, well I would've played Wicks last week instead of Warner.

I'm also not sure what the concept of 2 weeks in for a few kids, then 2 weeks in for different kids achieves. How will they ever be able to prove themselves if they're not getting a consistent run?
🤷‍♂️ Well it's better than 1 - and shows the coaches something. Sure if they kill it they stay in, or stink it up send them down. We can't play 5 guys in the team under 5 games at the same time.

🤷‍♂️ Well it's better than 1 - and shows the coaches something. Sure if they kill it they stay in, or stink it up send them down. We can't play 5 guys in the team under 5 games at the same time.

At this point, it's better than continuing the pointless Gray/Taylor/Ronke/Clarke shenanigans.

At this point, it's better than continuing the pointless Gray/Taylor/Ronke/Clarke shenanigans.

Don’t you want to drop Warner for some ridiculous reason though?

Give the kids a block of games regardless who that player is

I think there will be a few players they want to have a look at senior level. Even though it is hard to draw conclusions based on 1-2 games.

*Wicks/Foot - Small forward is an important role nowadays to make tackles and chase groundballs. Sides like Richmond have multiple competent small forwards. Wicks seems like a disciplined pressure forward who can play the role the coaches give him. Foot is a very good runner with the ball.
*Maibaum - Could probably get a game as a third tall defender. Brand/Melican injured and Aliir out of form. We probably need to see what defensive depth we have.
*Ling - He has missed so much football, basically at the stage of a first year player. Club might be patient and just be happy to have him training and playing reserves. Interesting to see what position the club sees him playing. Lockdown small defender, halfback flanker, attacking winger etc.
*Amartey/Knoll - Might want to have a look at our young rucks if they can recover from injury. Obviously a position of interest for the future.
*Bell - Currently our inside midfield depth along with Clarke/Warner. So I think he will get a few games. Can also play Wing and Half forward.
*O'Connor/Gould/E.Taylor - Talented first year players though already contracted for next year, O'Connor and Taylor have got good reviews in the scratch matches.
*Reynolds/Rowles - Have not heard much about them recently. So may be at an earlier stage of development.

*Stephens/Warner/Stoddart - I think Stephens is most likely to get a run of games. Just to get him comfortable with the pace and physicality of the game. They might want to try Stoddart as a half back flanker in better conditions. Later in the season Warner might get more midfield time.

Last edited:
"For some ridiculous reason" being so Wicks can play instead, as he'd be better in that role.

Play both of them. Drop someone else. Dropping someone straight after their debut in awful wet conditions is silly. Give him a month

Play both of them. Drop someone else. Dropping someone straight after their debut in awful wet conditions is silly. Give him a month

How can you play both of them? I don't think Warner will suit a half forward pressure role, nor will he suit a role as an outside mid. They're the only roles available to him. Kennedy's absence means more time inside for Florent, Hewett, Rowbottom and Parker. Warner won't fit. There just isn't a place for him atm - which I said before his debut was announced - and that is fine. Not every kid has to play senior footy this year. We need to play the kids in roles where they can contribute and where they'll be needed:

- Key defender/medium defender (Maibaum, Gould or O'Connor). This all depends on where Aliir, Mills and Dawson are playing, or if Brand's absence will continue.

- Half forward/small pressure forward (Wicks/Foot/E. Taylor). The Gray, Taylor and Ronke trifecta haven't produced the goods thus far.

- Outside mids (Stephens/McInerney/Ling ??) The first two could maybe share that role but could also see them competing. If Ling's fit and ready, we should try him in this position.

Any other young additions would be pointless both for the team and the kid himself. These three areas are where we need players to make an impact.

All i know is that i have seen enough of McInerney this year.....

To know he needs to be in the team going forward. He's shown the same sort of signs that Rowbottom showed early last season. A couple of friendly bounces of the football in his last game would of really shown his capability.

All i know is that i have seen enough of McInerney this year.....

To know he needs to be in the team going forward. He's shown the same sort of signs that Rowbottom showed early last season. A couple of friendly bounces of the football in his last game would of really shown his capability.
I think McInerney is the goods. However he only really took up footy in year 12. So he doesn't have the years of conditioning some of the other young players have had. He got rested last week and only played 50% of the scratch match against Melbourne. In the scratch match he was pretty tired and got caught holding the ball quite a bit. Give him a few pre-seasons and he will be a jet.

How can you play both of them? I don't think Warner will suit a half forward pressure role, nor will he suit a role as an outside mid. They're the only roles available to him. Kennedy's absence means more time inside for Florent, Hewett, Rowbottom and Parker. Warner won't fit. There just isn't a place for him atm - which I said before his debut was announced - and that is fine. Not every kid has to play senior footy this year. We need to play the kids in roles where they can contribute and where they'll be needed:

- Key defender/medium defender (Maibaum, Gould or O'Connor). This all depends on where Aliir, Mills and Dawson are playing, or if Brand's absence will continue.

- Half forward/small pressure forward (Wicks/Foot/E. Taylor). The Gray, Taylor and Ronke trifecta haven't produced the goods thus far.

- Outside mids (Stephens/McInerney/Ling ??) The first two could maybe share that role but could also see them competing. If Ling's fit and ready, we should try him in this position.

Any other young additions would be pointless both for the team and the kid himself. These three areas are where we need players to make an impact.
Parker to half forward & give Warner a run in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back