Unofficial Preview Round 7, 2020: Sydney Swans v Gold Coast Suns - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gray was a chance and 1 year

Why’s pick 99 on two years better

He was worth a punt imo , was not always going to work

Easy to be captain hindsight , who was actually angry we got him at the time?
Me.
So Blakey has not to be dropped clause ?
Re: Blakey -if we we play all the other kids, might as well persist with him

Good. It’s what we should have been doing from round 1

They might not have been ready at round 1 or when the season resumed.

They have been selected off good form in the scratch matches and after a longer period of training.

It is a tough season for a first year player's development with all the disruptions to training and lack of proper reserve matches. I did not think they were going be selecting the first year players early in the season.

Last edited:
Grey 7d @85% efficiency (6 effective disposals). 2 contested. 4 marks. 3 inside 50 tackles. Since resumption stats are 7, 13, 11 and 7.

McLean 11d @54% efficiency (6 effective disposals). 3 contested. 3 marks. 0 inside 50 tackles. Since resumption stats are 7, 4, 8 and 11.

Blakey 9 disposals @33% efficiency (3 effective disposals). 4 contested. 0 marks. 0 inside 50 tackles. Since resumption stats are 11, 6, 6, 13 and 9.

I can't see what the selection committee are valuing here? Rewarding turnovers and a lack of pressure from forwards, while devaluing forwards who take marks and put on tackling pressure. Some on here have mentioned they feel the Bloods culture has died out amongst the playing group. This could be a reason why. Can't imagine it is good for morale when those that aren't earning a spot are being handed one anyway, while those that are at least giving it a crack are dropped.

Certainly some players are not accountable for their performance which is very un bloods like

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grey 7d @85% efficiency (6 effective disposals). 2 contested. 4 marks. 3 inside 50 tackles. Since resumption stats are 7, 13, 11 and 7.

McLean 11d @54% efficiency (6 effective disposals). 3 contested. 3 marks. 0 inside 50 tackles. Since resumption stats are 7, 4, 8 and 11.

Blakey 9 disposals @33% efficiency (3 effective disposals). 4 contested. 0 marks. 0 inside 50 tackles. Since resumption stats are 11, 6, 6, 13 and 9.

I can't see what the selection committee are valuing here? Rewarding turnovers and a lack of pressure from forwards, while devaluing forwards who take marks and put on tackling pressure. Some on here have mentioned they feel the Bloods culture has died out amongst the playing group. This could be a reason why. Can't imagine it is good for morale when those that aren't earning a spot are being handed one anyway, while those that are at least giving it a crack are dropped.

I am guessing they were happy to rest Mclean. He has had 4 games in a row and done a lot of the ruck work. Given our injury record, I am sure he will get plenty of opportunities for the rest of the season as Forward/Ruck.

I assume that Gray will be rotated in and out of the side with the possibility of mid week games. Though I expected L.Taylor to come in for him.

I am not sure what is going on with Blakey. Maybe they are trying things with him. Or that our weakened forward line still looks better with him in it. Our forward line is Dawson, McCartin, Papley, Elijah and Blakey. (plus possibly a few midfielders like Warner). If we drop Blakey then it is just Papley and Elijah as our pacy medium forwards. So even if Blakey fades in and out of the game, I think he offers some potential attacking threat with his pace compared to the alternatives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we might see Mills in the middle collecting the 3 votes and on his way to the Brownlow

Unfortunately Not - Mills was interviewed during the week on SEN1116 Radio here in Melbourne and was asked that exact question with Kennedy and Heeney going down surely now is the time to move to the midfield and he said there is no plan for him to move into the midfield as Horse needs him down in the back-line.

Listen to interview below:

At least playing a new kid adds a bit of excitement to an otherwise dull game.

Bit hard to get excited about L.Taylor or Gray being selected (again).

I don't think this will be a dull game. Two incredibly young sides that aren't great at defending. Should make for a decent at worst game.

I don't think this will be a dull game. Two incredibly young sides that aren't great at defending. Should make for a decent at worst game.
I think most of the interest to be derived from this season revolves around getting some insight into what our club might look like 2 years from now.

If Stephens, Warner, E.Taylor (and maybe Gould) all show solid promise - along with the development of Rowbottom, Mills, Dawson and Florent - and hopefully Blakey showing a bit, I’ll be feeling ok about the future.

I think most of the interest to be derived from this season revolves around getting some insight into what our club might look like 2 years from now.

If Stephens, Warner, E.Taylor (and maybe Gould) all show solid promise - along with the development of Rowbottom, Mills, Dawson and Florent - and hopefully Blakey showing a bit, I’ll be feeling ok about the future.

Agreed. I have to say as a big advocate for the youth on our list there has not been much for me to fist-pump about this year.

Heeney had gone to the next level, then gets injured, as has Papley.

Florent has taken more steps forward in his development.

Mills is showing the signs of fulfilling that 'future captain' potential.

Couldn't be more impressed with Rowbottom.

Everyone else has either stagnated or gone backwards. That inconsistency in form is common in young players, so I'm hoping the majority of them have got their rough patch out of the way and will now get back on track. Maybe having three new young faces in the team might give them the rocket up the arse they need that they could be replaced if they don't get it together.

At least that's what I hope.

Agreed. I have to say as a big advocate for the youth on our list there has not been much for me to fist-pump about this year.

Heeney had gone to the next level, then gets injured, as has Papley.

Florent has taken more steps forward in his development.

Mills is showing the signs of fulfilling that 'future captain' potential.

Couldn't be more impressed with Rowbottom.

Everyone else has either stagnated or gone backwards. That inconsistency in form is common in young players, so I'm hoping the majority of them have got their rough patch out of the way and will now get back on track. Maybe having three new young faces in the team might give them the rocket up the arse they need that they could be replaced if they don't get it together.

At least that's what I hope.

Heeney longevity in the game has me worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back