Review Round 7, 2020 vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

They can now:rainbow:.
(I guess Rocky would have to get a divorce first)

lhOBwpt.gif

Well done to the coaches by the way for realizing McKenzie can kick the ball a long way. Most meters gained yesterday from 13 touches, even took some kickouts. What a shock.

Its not only he can kick it a long way he is also unpredicatble with his length. Ala goldsack who was always long down the coridoor or to the wings Trent has the poise to assess his options and go short when the opposition setup for a long kick in.

Its bliss

Hartlett - solid
Mckenzie - Was ok not one of his better games both he and Clurey really struggling for lack of height
Agree with most of your call, except theses two

Hartlett is in career-best form IMO, and had a great game. He is rock solid back there, just oozing brute strength & confidence.
McKenzie also had a great game, with some clutch marks too. Seems to have so much time on his hands, makes good decisions with few blind kicks. Close to his best for us IMO

Please refer to the Bigfooty rules on respecting opposition teams on their club boards, Chief. Another outburst like this and I may have to report your post.

Agree with most of your call, except theses two

Hartlett is in career-best form IMO, and had a great game. He is rock solid back there, just oozing brute strength & confidence.
McKenzie also had a great game, with some clutch marks too. Seems to have so much time on his hands, makes good decisions with few blind kicks. Close to his best for us IMO
I agree on both counts but its McKenzie for me who has been the biggest surprise.
I was convinced he wouldnt be up to it. Couldnt believe they actually gave him a game but he has been a revelation.

He has reinvented himself as a defender and his left foot is deadly both short and long but its been his intercept marking and timing with his spoils that have been the biggest surprise.

One of those types that can play on both talls and smalls and has slotted into our defence seamlessly

Love watching his cannonballs down the guts from the kick outs that land pretty much in the centre circle. Seriously his bombs look effortless but the best part is that he isnt all about his foot skills. The guy can play!

I agree on both counts but its McKenzie for me who has been the biggest surprise.
I was convinced he wouldnt be up to it. Couldnt believe they actually gave him a game but he has been a revelation.

He has reinvented himself as a defender and his left foot is deadly both short and long but its been his intercept marking and timing with his spoils that have been the biggest surprise.

One of those types that can play on both talls and smalls and has slotted into our defence seamlessly

Love watching his cannonballs down the guts from the kick outs that land pretty much in the centre circle. Seriously his bombs look effortless but the best part is that he isnt all about his foot skills. The guy can play!

As much as we criticised some of the trades I. 2017 and 2018, we have ended up with some really serviceable players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The resurrection of McKenzie from the proverbial scrap heap, where he was already buried 6m deep in rubbish, is the best individual story of 2020 so far.

Butters, Jonas, Hartlett, McKenzie, Marshall, Dixon have all been major improvers from 2019.
Powell-Pepper and Ebert both overall improvements, and probably Farrell too.
Boak true to his very high standards of 2019.
Amon, Houston, DBJ maintaining their 2019 form also.
Mayes now emerging as a potential huge bonus for the rest of this year.

So what do we need to really consolidate and surge to supremacy?
1) Sort out the Westhoff role with someone who contributes every week and every quarter.
2) Get Rozee and Gray BOTH back to their brilliant, elite best.
3) Keep Burton off the injury list.
4) Sort out Clurey's occasional lassitude when it comes to trailing opposition forwards. So much better when he anticipates the play and gets in front of his opponent.
5) Accept that Motlop will never be as consistent as we want. Either replace him with someone who is, or substitute his occasional x-factor with that of a young player (e.g. Williams) whose x-factor will surprise opposition teams even more.
6) Make sure that Duursma regains his pre-injury form asap.

I do feel like some clubs may be cooling on Wines. Atleast not willing to give up as much for him as they may have in the past. Interesting trade period coming - if there even is one.
IMO last year was the last chance to trade Wines and still get some 'potential' payment as part of it. His trade value is now all on current form. Which is average. Honestly if there was an identical player (age etc.) and we didn't have Wines on our list, then I'd be furious if the club paid more than a late first round pick for.

Question: have we ever won a game where an opposition player missed a goal after the siren to win? I can't recall any.

RussellEbertHandball TeeKray
I don't think so. But have a look at Jarrad Waite from 2005 drawn game at 2.42:25 in video below to see if counts. Had a crack from 75m out to win the game.

Edit we have done it twice to lose. Daniel Motlop in Tassie v Saints 2006 I think. Westhoff against GC 2011.

Remember in 2016 when we had an ex-Carlton player umpiring? How could that have possibly been allowed in a professional league?

Carlton fans have no, and I mean absolutely no, right to complain about umpiring. Ever. Especially in games against us.

Every win we've had over those pricks since they last beat us has tasted extra sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back