Preview Round 7 2021 - Adelaide Crows v GWS Giants, 2.10 pm @ Adelaide Oval, Sat 1 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Given our team's situation, I can't be too disappointed in the GWS loss to the Bulldogs - albeit always disappointing to lose to them. But I am happy that we fought the game hard, and we held them within 3 points in the first three quarters despite the diabolically biased umpiring.

Our midfield had their colours lowered by the rampant Dogs midfield led by Stef Martin, which impacted the feed of ball to our forward line. I can't see the Crows' midfield overpowering us in the same way, but our mids do need to respond and gain the ascendancy if we are to beat the Crows at home, who will be smarting from their collapse against Hawthorn.

Meanwhile, our very junior defensive team (missing from 2020's line-up were Davis, Corr, Haynes for the majority of the game, Shaw, Whitfield and Kennedy - just think 6 of 7 of last year's regulars!) worked very hard and for 75% of the game were highly competitive. Young Lachie Ash is proving himself to be the player we wanted, both solid in defence and exciting in counter-attack. Sam Taylor continues his development, Lachie Keeffe has been solid as a main KPD, and Buckley, Idun and Cumming have all been playing and developing solidly.

The forward line was disappointingly quiet, but impacted by the midfield being beaten. Toby, as he has been all year, was simply inspiring, and is the most dangerous small forward in the competition at the moment. If only he could kick straighter!

Possible changes for the game. As I have espoused on the ''possible changes'' thread, I advocate softly, softly here. Our bottom 6 players - mostly the youngsters - were well beaten by the Dogs, but IMHO there's no value in wholesale changes. Firstly, there are few on the sidelines ready to come in, and secondly, the kids need to be allowed the chance to learn hard lessons and then apply them. Obviously there's a limit to what is acceptable, but I wouldn't like to see more than 1-2 changes. Nick Haynes does need to be replaced due to his injury, and Jesse Hogan is now cherry ripe to debut in orange and charcoal, which will also aid the forward line set up. That could be as minimal a change that occurs, with some role reshuffling (HH or Finlayson to Haynes' wing plus stints as defensive interceptor). O'Halloran is the other player under an injury cloud; if so, Bruhn, Shipley or Sproule would appear the most likely replacements, while Jacob Wehr might be an outside chance to debut in his home state. (This assume Lachie Whitfield isn't yet ready for first grade.)

Flynn will go up against boom youngster Rory O'Brien in the ruck battle, and that plus the midfield battle will go a long way towards determining who wins the game. GWS's mids simply must win the contested battle if we are to win. Given that guys like Frampton and Himmelberg provide the ruck chop out, I don't perceive a need for a Flynn-Briggs ruck duo, but it's an outside possibility of a change if Leon wanted to see how that might shape up. But I would think it's only an outside chance if Hogan is already a change in the forward line. In other words, one change at a time in a system and see how that works.

Another crunch game for GWS as we seek to stay in contact with the top 8 - hope every one of the boys comes ready to dig deep.

Last edited:

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Zero excuses this weekend after the disastrous omni-shambles in this same fixture last year.

Time for Leon to out-coach Nicks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I actually think the coaching needs a big tick. Look at the rampant wins sydney had in their first few rounds. They moved the ball fast and with freedom and really challenged teams. Look at how we are setting up our team defence this year. We are generally slowing the ball movement of other teams down really well and they don't get those fast forward entries. In the syndey game, the collingwood game and for 3/4 of the dogs game, we turned pace down and made it more of a contested game which is how we want to play (it is our strength regardless of what fans want to see). It is a credit to the coaching that we zone so fast and so well to shut that down.

There is still work to do. We need to keep working on moving up and down gears faster... meaning our transition needs to have the ability to go fast or slow. We do the kick possession game slowly but sometimes thats needed to take the wind out of the opposition sails and control the ball. Of course we need to also be able to kick up the gears and have that fast counter attack through the middle and THAT is definitely an area for improvement.

But credit where it is due. We have adjusted to the stand rule really well defensively

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Probably means Ricca out

Maybe, who knows with Leon
Yeah, and depends if they stick with Buckley and/or Idun down back against the Crows talls.
May still send HH or ToJ back as already speculated here.

Adelaide were probably one tall, too many, as they ran out of legs against the Hawks. It will be an interesting selection.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah, and depends if they stick with Buckley and/or Idun down back against the Crows talls.
May still send HH or ToJ back as already speculated here.

Adelaide were probably one tall, too many, as they ran out of legs against the Hawks. It will be an interesting selection.
I’m pretty sure one day Leon will have us lineup with 6 talls up front.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

I love this.

Im super happy for him, and the Giants, and really hope he plays a blinder. He is capable of it and a happy Jesse at his best is great for football. Absolutely will watch

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Do you guys see Kelly role changing at all with Whitfield close to a return? Is Whitfield going to play HB, or still that wing/HF role do we think?

any insight as to why Kelly is stuck out on the HFF graveyard? As one of your best inside/outside mids it seems an extremely weird decision. People like Daniels and ward getting CBAs over a premier mid of the comp is such a strange tactic.... I’m guessing you guys are confused as most?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, it would seem that Hogan is a certainty to come in, Whitfield is a likely, and Sam Reid is a possible.

Haynes is a definite out, XOH is still a possible out.

We could see 3 changes with all of Hogan, Whitfield & Reid in - that would be a transfusion of experience that I expect Leon would be delighted to have.

Possible outs of Riccardi, Haynes and either XOH or perhaps Stone.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Always amused at all the Supercoach fans upset at where we play certain players or who who we play.
Not upset haha, I just find it puzzling the role he’s been given to play, given his expertise and effectiveness through the middle and running hard up and down the wings.

maybe they’re managing his load in games to get him through a full season? Even then he’s barely getting stints through the middle. Is it possible he may be looking at leaving so Cameron is prioritising the development of those that are staying?

regardless I find it a puzzling decision from LC/the coaching panel.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Not upset haha, I just find it puzzling the role he’s been given to play, given his expertise and effectiveness through the middle and running hard up and down the wings.

maybe they’re managing his load in games to get him through a full season? Even then he’s barely getting stints through the middle. Is it possible he may be looking at leaving so Cameron is prioritising the development of those that are staying?

regardless I find it a puzzling decision from LC/the coaching panel.
So thats a yes that he is upsetting your Supercoach.

Could you take this stuff to the Supercoach thread? Chears.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, it would seem that Hogan is a certainty to come in, Whitfield is a likely, and Sam Reid is a possible.

Haynes is a definite out, XOH is still a possible out.

We could see 3 changes with all of Hogan, Whitfield & Reid in - that would be a transfusion of experience that I expect Leon would be delighted to have.

Possible outs of Riccardi, Haynes and either XOH or perhaps Stone.
My guess would be stone and that will be the role Whitfield plays. HFF/wing

Riccardi for hogan
Stone for Whitfield
Haynes for Ried

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
If be surprised if Reid made it back this week.
And to be honest.... he is reliable and fulfils a need which is a lockdown small defender. I can absolutely see that as a possibility. Although because he missed through soft tissue... i would prefer a run in the VFL first

Do you guys see Kelly role changing at all with Whitfield close to a return? Is Whitfield going to play HB, or still that wing/HF role do we think?

any insight as to why Kelly is stuck out on the HFF graveyard? As one of your best inside/outside mids it seems an extremely weird decision. People like Daniels and ward getting CBAs over a premier mid of the comp is such a strange tactic.... I’m guessing you guys are confused as most?
he is playing high half forward and wing, with a bit of a inside midfield. We need his class on the outside as the inside mids we have are a bit limited there. He played a a very important role in both victories.
I can certainly see the logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back