Review Round 7, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I do love him talking about how Joe 'makes Hipwood more dangerous and makes McStay' more dangerous. It's not like we needed Joe to kick goals, we didn't have a sh*t system before, which annoys me in a way how other people talk about it, we were one of the highest scoring teams in the league with two keys that aren't superstars. Joe's presence legitimately takes them to another level and allows him to play as he did tonight, virtually a tall midfielder running through the ruck and able to take a mark at half forward. We had really missed McStay structurally and I think the three pillars are really gonna heat their peak soon.
Watch out.
Agree 100%. Our forward line was very good last year however (unlike this year) copped consistent critisism's from many. This year they have definitely gone up to another level with the Daniher addition and will only get better as the season progress's. Like Fagan says, if they continue to play games together they will continue to get more potent every game. With Cameron hopefully playing a more consistent, energetic game like last night, I have no doubt our forward line will be almost impossible to stop and could be the key to going all the way.

Cal Ah Chee with 13 touches (8 contested), a goal and 6 tackles. Had some some nice moments. Seems to be finding his feet playing in the forward half. Hopefully this is a reliable baseline for him.

Prior is a nice size for the wing, seems to have neat skills. Likes the hard stuff. I’m liking him so far.

Terrific win despite the really underwhelming last quarter.

When you have your opponents by the throat at 3/4 time, as a supporter you always hope for a total flogging so you go home fully satisfied.

It just doesn't seem to happen much anymore in modern footy as the dominant side has a tendency to put the cue in the rack once the game is done and dusted.It was pleasing however, that we did respond with two really nice late goals to underline our superiority.

Interested (but not surprised) to hear about the commentary bias, not that I heard any of that commentary because I was at the game.

Surely it couldn't have been worse than last week when Eddie and Derwayne were in competition for which of them could barrack the hardest for Carlton.

Could It?

Nothing is worse than Ed screaming HaaarrrEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE like a banshee

Best part of the umpiring last night was that I can’t recall a ruck free kick despite McInerney and Lysett grappling all game. Would have been easy to find a free against either but they let it flow
I was really surprised at the lack of frees, even early on. It's why I started paying more attention to the ruck contests, and admiring Oscar's efforts.
The umpires were good last night and I agree on the lack of ruck frees, it's so much bloody better when they don't pick out random frees in the ruck contest... most of the time the bloody rucks themselves don't even know which way the free is going.
#letthegrapplego

McStay played well. I saw him involved with 4 goals even if the stats might not reflect it. 1st is his own goal from the mark he took off Hipwood's kick. 2nd - he took out two defenders so Prior could get an easy ground ball get - immediate handball to Bags who hits Joe on the lead on the 50 for his 2nd goal. 3rd - McStay continues to follow Frederick as he goes for the loop around handball transition from half back. Bergman gets isolated - McStay lays the tackle - ball spills to Ah Chee and Cameron gets the goal out the back. 4th - McStay wins two contests in the middle of the ground, ball surges forward and hits Cameron for his fourth goal. He also had a great hit out directly to Cameron from a F50 arc ruck contest which Charlie snapped but the ball bounced awkwardly for a behind. He also hit the marking contest where the ball spilled to Zorko front and centre. He laid a block - Zorks gets the handball to McCarthy but his goal was denied by a Cameron free.

I think McStay's contributions to the team are not truly reflected just by his statline. We only tend to focus on contests where he directly wins or loses whilst discounting the other effects he has throughout the game. Not to mention the nonmeasurable aspects such as dragging defenders away from Hipwood/Daniher, providing alternative leads for defenders, keeping the team structure.

I'm glad we've put the McStay debate to bed (temporarily). I wonder if Birchal's contributions are similarly opaque to us fans/viewers given Fagans penchant for persevering with him.

McStay played well. I saw him involved with 4 goals even if the stats might not reflect it. 1st is his own goal from the mark he took off Hipwood's kick. 2nd - he took out two defenders so Prior could get an easy ground ball get - immediate handball to Bags who hits Joe on the lead on the 50 for his 2nd goal. 3rd - McStay continues to follow Frederick as he goes for the loop around handball transition from half back. Bergman gets isolated - McStay lays the tackle - ball spills to Ah Chee and Cameron gets the goal out the back. 4th - McStay wins two contests in the middle of the ground, ball surges forward and hits Cameron for his fourth goal. He also had a great hit out directly to Cameron from a F50 arc ruck contest which Charlie snapped but the ball bounced awkwardly for a behind. He also hit the marking contest where the ball spilled to Zorko front and centre. He laid a block - Zorks gets the handball to McCarthy but his goal was denied by a Cameron free.

I think McStay's contributions to the team are not truly reflected just by his statline. We only tend to focus on contests where he directly wins or loses whilst discounting the other effects he has throughout the game. Not to mention the nonmeasurable aspects such as dragging defenders away from Hipwood/Daniher, providing alternative leads for defenders, keeping the team structure.

I'm glad we've put the McStay debate to bed (temporarily). I wonder if Birchal's contributions are similarly opaque to us fans/viewers given Fagans penchant for persevering with him.
I think you could say that about every player though couldn't you. If you micro analyse everything every player does they're all going to look a lot better especially when we're winning the contest.

On the other hand the micro analysis won't reflect all that well when someone or the team is having a bad day.

I think you could say that about every player though couldn't you. If you micro analyse everything every player does they're all going to look a lot better especially when we're winning the contest.

On the other hand the micro analysis won't reflect all that well when someone or the team is having a bad day.

The point I wanted to make is that McStay does things that are not captured on the AFL site stat line which I don't think anyone else in our seconds could do. Fullerton might have gotten the hitout but the pressure applied by McStay to cause a turnover and to neutralise two defenders leaving Prior with a simple ground ball get isn't truly reflected on the stat line and something I doubt either Ballenden or Fullerton would have been able to achieve. Its hardly microanalysis as well. I just looked at the extended highlights and saw who were involved in scoring plays. Its just food for thought for those who continually bag/undersell certain players on the team. Im sure Fagan can see the importance of someone like Mcstay even if his statline only reads 8 disposals, 4 kicks, 4 marks and 1 goal.

The point I wanted to make is that McStay does things that are not captured on the AFL site stat line which I don't think anyone else in our seconds could do. Fullerton might have gotten the hitout but the pressure applied by McStay to cause a turnover and to neutralise two defenders leaving Prior with a simple ground ball get isn't truly reflected on the stat line and something I doubt either Ballenden or Fullerton would have been able to achieve. Its hardly microanalysis as well. I just looked at the extended highlights and saw who were involved in scoring plays. Its just food for thought for those who continually bag/undersell certain players on the team. Im sure Fagan can see the importance of someone like Mcstay even if his statline only reads 8 disposals, 4 kicks, 4 marks and 1 goal.
I think it's fair to say that those who've criticised McStay of which I include myself are over sensitive to the poor pieces of play and probably miss some of the good things he does ,and on the other hand there are those who think he's wonderful every time he does what he should be doing and keep looking for the evidence.

For instance Daniher ,Ah Chee , Starcevich and McCarthy did some incredible things yesterday often enough that wouldn't go on the stats sheet.

My view is we don't have anyone better than McStay for the role he plays currently and yesterday he did that well enough and should be getting fitter now so that he can impact games a bit more. He was poor the week prior. He has looked a bit freer in his attack on the footy this year than years prior. And I think you picked up on some good points in his play.

I think it's fair to say that those who've criticised McStay of which I include myself are over sensitive to the poor pieces of play and probably miss some of the good things he does ,and on the other hand there are those who think he's wonderful every time he does what he should be doing and keep looking for the evidence.

For instance Daniher ,Ah Chee , Starcevich and McCarthy did some incredible things yesterday often enough that wouldn't go on the stats sheet.

My view is we don't have anyone better than McStay for the role he plays currently and yesterday he did that well enough and should be getting fitter now so that he can impact games a bit more. He was poor the week prior. He has looked a bit freer in his attack on the footy this year than years prior. And I think you picked up on some good points in his play.
There is no one in the Twos who looks like a likely forward so Dan's spot is reasonably secure, but I wonder when Paine gets fit should we try Paine up forward in the Twos? With Adams playing so well and Gardiner to come back next week we are over stocked for tall defenders.

I still remember Bradshaw being so good at either end of the field. I always thought McStay was the ideal swing man but will never happen now.

Has Paine ever been a forward?

There is no one in the Twos who looks like a likely forward so Dan's spot is reasonably secure, but I wonder when Paine gets fit should we try Paine up forward in the Twos? With Adams playing so well and Gardiner to come back next week we are over stocked for tall defenders.

I still remember Bradshaw being so good at either end of the field. I always thought McStay was the ideal swing man but will never happen now.

Has Paine ever been a forward?
You have to be careful with just switching players. Weitering was switched and took him years to get back to the form he is showing now. Paine has never [played up forward iirc and no need really. We need depth, and Adams will probably be hurt sooner rather than later..

McCarthy has been in my top 3 favourite players since he arrived. I think the last 3-4 weeks he has achieved the consistency we all knew he could have. He is putting on the pressure, leading up taking marks and crumbing goals too. Last week too there was a collect right off his toes at speed and a quick handball off... I dream about it ;)

Interesting to think about how Ah Chee moved up, and how that will affect Berry the younger. I like him more up high and I think with some consistency there he will cement a spot, but Berry has ha immediate impact. I think for now Ah Chee's best is > Berry, but its an interesting choice we have to play around with :)

Dev should just stalk McCluggage at training and try steal some of his innate calmness under pressure (I guess thats an oxymoron :(). He is a bit raw but man there is so much potential, I think that calmness under pressure will come more easily as we consist with him. Super exciting.

Other clubs now also need to look out for Starc. Like Neale, Rayner . and McCarthy he has a great center of gravity and his ability to power through tackles is great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCarthy has been in my top 3 favourite players since he arrived. I think the last 3-4 weeks he has achieved the consistency we all knew he could have.

He is so classy - his look away handball for an alley-oop to Zorko was epic. And he can sit on heads. His example of recovering from career ending injury makes us a destination club. Witness Joey D.

Can someone help me unpack Madden's game - I didn't notice him at the game much at all - who was he on and what was his role?

Can someone help me unpack Madden's game - I didn't notice him at the game much at all - who was he on and what was his role?

All the defenders rotated their opponents as usual.

Showed good closing speed. His handballing looked good. Didn’t use his pace offensively.

Port didn't turn up so I'll reserve comment on whether we the real deal or not
I don't agree with the "didn't turn up" narrative most of the time, usually it is down to how the opposition allow you to play and not play, we took away their game with elite pressure and overall ground set up in defence and smart transition, Port had reasons for their loss not excuses.

Where I can understand a team "not turning up" is if you're a huge favourite in a game and are not mentally switched on.

Dis Agree. Port did show up and we gave them a serious spanking because we moved the ball in a way that dominated and controlled the game. We play that way for the remainder of the season and we will be contenders once again.

Why do you think Port were any good? Except for half of the 1st qtr and some of the 4th they were sloppy.

Back