Review Round 7, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Their opponents didn’t turn up so it doesn’t mean anything
[/QUOTE]

My comment was an observation that Charlie and Harris weren't in mopey mode like previous weeks.

McCluggage was fantastic, but probably the stat that impressed me the most is his game high 34 pressure acts.

His offensive work was obviously incredible, but to not only dominate in attacking football, but to be the best pressure player on the ground was something to behold.

Comparatively, Ollie Wines had 37 touches and just 17 pressure acts.
Love him , smooth as silk .

Madden had 26 sprints last night, 13 more than our second best who was Cameron. Had 5 repeat sprints as well, 3 more than our next best.

His speed in defense gives us a different look, and as mentioned earlier, our backline looks a lot more balanced with Madden in there as opposed to another medium defender.

Thought he was very solid defensively. It'll be exciting to see whether he can develop to using his speed in attack.

Madden had 26 sprints last night, 13 more than our second best who was Cameron. Had 5 repeat sprints as well, 3 more than our next best.

His speed in defense gives us a different look, and as mentioned earlier, our backline looks a lot more balanced with Madden in there as opposed to another medium defender.

Thought he was very solid defensively. It'll be exciting to see whether he can develop to using his speed in attack.
Yer, I watched the replay this afternoon and our Irish lad was very solid, a promising debut.

The other guy I didn't notice that much on the night live who on another look was pretty good was Birchall.

Port didn't turn up so I'll reserve comment on whether we the real deal or not

yeah nah. Our last few encounters that’s been the case. So I would say our game plan and how we match is advantage to us. We are starting to get our act together and we don’t even have our best 22. We aren’t favourites but we are right up there contesting and are contenders.

McCluggage still $51 for the Brownlow. 😍😱

On a side note, surely they'll end up swapping the fixtures. I smell another home game next week.
That would be brilliant as I didn't get to go last night.
Although unfortunate for our Western Australian Brethren.

I don't agree with the "didn't turn up" narrative most of the time, usually it is down to how the opposition allow you to play and not play, we took away their game with elite pressure and overall ground set up in defence and smart transition, Port had reasons for their loss not excuses.

Where I can understand a team "not turning up" is if you're a huge favourite in a game and are not mentally switched on.
We didn't have elite pressure. They showed thre pressure gauge during the game and we were below par while they were even more below that. There were even some other instances where we had less pressure than them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't have elite pressure. They showed thre pressure gauge during the game and we were below par while they were even more below that. There were even some other instances where we had less pressure than them.
Didn't feel like that live at the game, some of these statistics I wonder how they come to the end conclusion and if it's even relevant.

I remember thinking during the first qtr whether the teams had a gentlemen's agreement to not give each other injuries or something... early on the pressure was down (and was when they showed that graph), but it generally rose as the game went on.

I thought the pressure level was less than I would've expected early but once we amped it up they couldn't or wouldn't keep up.

Let's face it the last quarter of footy was like a stroll in the park . No pressure at all.

It's really hard to judge to what extent we were good and they were poor .Not only was their tackling pressure ordinary ,their forward entries were generally not over threatening and their execution when they did get it poor. But then again we didn't make too many mistakes in and from our back half.

Overall we did what we needed to in this game and everyone contributed. Not really worried about what sort of a test it was ,we got the four points and a little percentage kicker.

McStay played well. I saw him involved with 4 goals even if the stats might not reflect it. 1st is his own goal from the mark he took off Hipwood's kick. 2nd - he took out two defenders so Prior could get an easy ground ball get - immediate handball to Bags who hits Joe on the lead on the 50 for his 2nd goal. 3rd - McStay continues to follow Frederick as he goes for the loop around handball transition from half back. Bergman gets isolated - McStay lays the tackle - ball spills to Ah Chee and Cameron gets the goal out the back. 4th - McStay wins two contests in the middle of the ground, ball surges forward and hits Cameron for his fourth goal. He also had a great hit out directly to Cameron from a F50 arc ruck contest which Charlie snapped but the ball bounced awkwardly for a behind. He also hit the marking contest where the ball spilled to Zorko front and centre. He laid a block - Zorks gets the handball to McCarthy but his goal was denied by a Cameron free.

I think McStay's contributions to the team are not truly reflected just by his statline. We only tend to focus on contests where he directly wins or loses whilst discounting the other effects he has throughout the game. Not to mention the nonmeasurable aspects such as dragging defenders away from Hipwood/Daniher, providing alternative leads for defenders, keeping the team structure.

I'm glad we've put the McStay debate to bed (temporarily). I wonder if Birchal's contributions are similarly opaque to us fans/viewers given Fagans penchant for persevering with him.

I've been a McStay supporter for since forever and I get especially upset when he gets criticised for

a) his lack of "statistical" impact AND

b) his supposed "inaccuracy" when kicking for goal

In relation to b) he has in fact , an excellent record with his goal kicking

Having said that, I did get frustrated a bit last night with his laying off of handballs to team-mates who were in very bad positions for a HB Receive. Some of them were very bad options that led to some terrible turnovers.

He's an excellent field kick and I would like to see him back himself with disposal by foot more often.

Our last three wins have all been on the back of being stronger in the contest - crashing in winning 50/50 balls - tackling ferociously. Port felt the pressure for the entire 120 min, they couldn't handle it and turned it over at will. When we play like this we look such a good side - I noticed a few times Port players missed easy kicks or panicked due to perceived pressure. If we can bring the kind of intensity we have the last month then we give ourselves every chance.

Clugg since HT at the Geelong game has been superb - almost like he wasn't quite to maximum fitness then bang. Covers so much ground and uses the ball so well. I love how looks inside when he gets it and brings the ball back through the corridor. I think with Neale out and J.Berry also struggling with injuries Hugh will start more often in centre square now and take his game to an even higher level.

Great to see Harris Andrews back to his best - absolutely destroyed Dixon. Starcevich was also outstanding down back.

Lyons would have to be one of the most underrated players in the game but not by Lions fans. Rarely plays a bad game and wins so many 50/50 balls. Zorko has been great last few weeks. Getting back to his zippy best. Matho was really good - brings great intensity and tackles well. Hoping he has sustained run in the side.

Great to see Charlie back to his best and McCarthy was also really strong on the night. Was always going to be a game for our smaller players to play well. Wet weather and Port were so intent on stopping Hippy - Daniher and McStay they didn't have the resources to stop Charlie and Linc.

Great win.

Having said that, I did get frustrated a bit last night with his laying off of handballs to team-mates who were in very bad positions for a HB Receive. Some of them were very bad options that led to some terrible turnovers.

He's an excellent field kick and I would like to see him back himself with disposal by foot more often.

IMO he found himself under a bit more pressure than usual because the slippery conditions meant he spilled a few marks than he normally would, meaning he had to handball which isn't his forte. Under normal conditions he'd have marked and had the space to kick. (Contested marks are a different story because defenders have developed the ability to bring their forward to the ground in a contested mark consistently over the last five years or so.)

You have to be careful with just switching players. Weitering was switched and took him years to get back to the form he is showing now. Paine has never [played up forward iirc and no need really. We need depth, and Adams will probably be hurt sooner rather than later..
I reckon Payne might leave at the end of this season, IF when fit he is not getting an opportunity. I don't think Payne would want to be stuck behind Lester and Adams. According to a recent media report 'Dogs' made a bid for him at the end of last year, and they seem a bit shallow on KPD, especially one, that like most young guys just needs a good run of games to build confidence and consistency.

Back