Review Round 7, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO he has had less tendency to do that this year, his disposal has been at a pretty good level.
Just had a look at the stats, and happy to concede it must be more of a gut feel than anything

Code:
             TO KICKS  
H McLuggage  41  132  31.06%
D Rich       40  155  25.80%
D Zorko      35  119  29.41%
J Daniher    34   87  39.08%
M Robinson   32   89  35.90%

Im pretty sure that there was some great coaching and sacrifice happening from Hipwood. Think he and who ever had Allir would just run him up the ground to get him out of the backline. He still had a fair few intercepts but our forwards worked him hard so that we could exploit the matchups up forward, especially once we saw the no decent matchup for Charlie. Im pretty sure Allir tried to matchup on Linc at one point who just dragged him straight to the wing

Clug up to equal second in the coaches votes, level with Gawn and Wines and 5 votes behind Mundy.

Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide

VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Harris Andrews (BL)
Charlie Cameron (BL)
Ollie Wines (PORT)
Grant Birchall (BL)
Jarryd Lyons (BL)
Lincoln McCarthy (BL)

McCarthy quite stiff to only get one vote from both coaches combined lol

I would replaced him with Birchall for 2 votes at the very least if you asked me

I'd love to know the 5 4 3 2 1 for each coach in this award.

Guessing Chris Fagan's I'd go- Harris Andrews 5, Hugh McCluggage 4, Charlie Cameron 3, Grant Birchall 2 and Jarryd Lyons 1.

That would leave Hinkley as- Hugh McCluggage 5, Harris Andrews 4, Ollie Wines 3, Charlie Cameron 2 and Linc McCarthy 1.

There’s a photo my son showed me of Matho running water for the twos yesterday. That’s impressive. He’s a leader in that team so he showed up even though he could have basked in the glow of not screwing up in the ones.

Maturity on display.
respect.

I love Mitch Robinsons hardness, dedication, desire but I’ve never known a bloke to turnover the ball by foot so much. Often he has all the time in the world only to throw it on the boot and kick it straight to the opposition.
Going by stats he had a 50% disposal efficiency.

But if we’re going by stats on all players, Hugh McCluggage had a 53% disposal efficiency. ;)

I'd love to know the 5 4 3 2 1 for each coach in this award.

Guessing Chris Fagan's I'd go- Harris Andrews 5, Hugh McCluggage 4, Charlie Cameron 3, Grant Birchall 2 and Jarryd Lyons 1.

That would leave Hinkley as- Hugh McCluggage 5, Harris Andrews 4, Ollie Wines 3, Charlie Cameron 2 and Linc McCarthy 1.

Hinkley definitely gave wines the 3

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some interesting perspectives on some of our players .

Fwiiw imo Matho is good at getting in the way and trying really hard ,did a few team things ,has a lot of passion but I don't think he's any answer in our M/F barring injuries.

Adams disposal isn't that bad and will improve. If he had great disposal you're looking at a serious player. He's still imposing .

Hipwood is showing a lot more maturity as the years go by and really plays the team role.

Haven't seen enough of Payne to know where he fits in skill and defence wise but physically he looks the goods. We should try to get games into him to find out I guess.

Agree with Quigley on Prior ,shows composure beyond the couple of games he's played and importantly is a good kick. What impressed me that I didn't know is how tough in the contest he was . So potentially there's a player we didn't know we had. Definitely worth persevering with.

On that issue why do most lefties seem to be very good kicks but often can't swing on to their right side at all ,like Hipwood who's had enough time to develop a right side you would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with Quigley on Prior ,shows composure beyond the couple of games he's played and importantly is a good kick. What impressed me that I didn't know is how tough in the contest he was . So potentially there's a player we didn't know we had. Definitely worth persevering with.

On that issue why do most lefties seem to be very good kicks but often can't swing on to their right side at all ,like Hipwood who's had enough time to develop a right side you would think.
Daniher ,Hipwood ,McStay all lefties and fantastic field kicks but a bit lost when they have to use the right hand side , Daniher's not completely hopeless in that regard. But Hippy and McStay have trouble fisting the ball when they have to use the right for a handball.

Mind you I suppose with more athletes being drafted in the AFL as opposed to pure footballers there are now many right footers who can't use the left. It's more apparent with left footers because they are generally great kicks.

Im pretty sure that there was some great coaching and sacrifice happening from Hipwood. Think he and who ever had Allir would just run him up the ground to get him out of the backline. He still had a fair few intercepts but our forwards worked him hard so that we could exploit the matchups up forward, especially once we saw the no decent matchup for Charlie. Im pretty sure Allir tried to matchup on Linc at one point who just dragged him straight to the wing

Yep, looks like Mark Stone is getting comfortable with the setup now. The way we took them apart had a very familiar feel to it. It was as if someone watching Port closely for some time just sat down and wrote a script. Well done to the players in terms of execution, I'd like to think Mark Stone had a role to play amongst all this too.

Last edited:

There’s an awful lot of right footers who can’t kick with their left as well. Just seems to be blown of proportion with lefty’s.

Very flew players like Aker and Black who were almost as good on both sides

Seeing Hodge and Birchill up close, you can see why Hawthorn had such an incredible backline . I recall their ability to hit the courageous perfect switch kick to set up Franklin and Riolli - so many left footers. And currently Rich and Houli.

Clug up to equal second in the coaches votes, level with Gawn and Wines and 5 votes behind Mundy.

Brisbane Lions vs Port Adelaide

VOTES
PLAYER (CLUB)

Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Harris Andrews (BL)
Charlie Cameron (BL)
Ollie Wines (PORT)
Grant Birchall (BL)
Jarryd Lyons (BL)
Lincoln McCarthy (BL)

We could be on our way to a second Brownlow Medallist in our team. Hugh will get the votes imo for this game. Then it will be two down one to go.

Who's the next to follow?;)

I don’t usually buy into the whole ‘if he played in Victoria he’d be a superstar’ narrative but it does seem pertinent to McCluggage at the moment. Has barely had any coverage at all but is dominating games consistently.

Feel like the same could be said about Mundy too. Everything we've been hearing down here is about how good Gawn has been.

I don’t usually buy into the whole ‘if he played in Victoria he’d be a superstar’ narrative but it does seem pertinent to McCluggage at the moment. Has barely had any coverage at all but is dominating games consistently.

It's good let him go under the radar although I suspect every opposition coach/s knows how good he is. Anyway just means we get a better price on Hugh to win the Brownlow :) 50 -1 yesterday compared to Walsh 12-1. Be almost on same amount of votes.

Back